The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old May 28, 2010, 08:04 AM   #51
robhof

robhof

I've owned dogs for years, but I have no problem putting down a feral animal; dog or cat. When I was in high school a friend lived on a farm that was overrun with feral cats and dogs, thanks to the fine folks who think farms are great dumping grounds for unwanted pets. I told my friend's father that I'd happily reduce his population, just put up your animals. I ended up getting a lot of practice as he told the neighbors and the word spread. I went in the USAF after HS and qualified expert the entire time I was in, due in large part to my live animal practice.
Old May 28, 2010, 09:29 AM   #52
LordTio3

Sad Truth...

Robhof,

I'm sure that there are several dog/cat-lovers on here who are throat groaning at your post right now... and you may even see some backlash from it. I'll admit that this was my immediate response... but then I thought about it a little more deeply.

Animal Shelters do the exact same thing.

If you were to gather up all of those animals and take them to a shelter, they would feed them for a few days, then kill them and plant them in a field somewhere to fertilize the soil. Many of the "back-lashers" have the option of taking animals to the shelter readily available in their heads, but actively choose not to think any further into it than that, and are quick to ridicule because of it.

So while I don't agree with the boldness of your approach, I accept it as the inevitable outcome that would be the end result anyway.

~LT
Old May 28, 2010, 11:27 AM   #53
sakeneko

Although Great Danes were originally bred as war dogs, they've had hundreds of years to morph into Marmaduke. The one I saw at Home Depot had the body language and expressions of a friendly puppy; I'm sure the only reason that people were backing away was that he was so incredibly big, even for a Great Dane. I don't blame people (especially those who are not familiar with dogs) for finding a large strong dog a bit scary, however, until they know he's not going to hurt them. That's just rational.

I'm going to have to look into pepper spray as a defense against aggressive dogs. I carry it as routinely as I do my revolver, so I *have* it. I don't have a good take on how well it would work against an attacking dog, however. (That wasn't covered in my pepper spray training.) So I wouldn't want to use it unless I were certain that the dog would be unable to do me any great harm even if it didn't work.

I like Dobermans too, by the way. Great dogs. :-)
Old May 28, 2010, 12:34 PM   #54
jgcoastie

Quote:
So while I don't agree with the boldness of your approach, I accept it as the inevitable outcome that would be the end result anyway.
I agree with his boldness.

Feral animals (dogs, cats, hogs, coyotes, etc) are much more than a nuisance to farmers, especially those with livestock. The feral animals can harass livestock, often killing them, destroy crops, and eat away at your profit margin until there is nothing left.

Feral animals and last week's pets have no rights. They will be put down (as ethically as possible I might add) quickly and without remorse. I grew up on/around farms my entire life, I know exactly how devastating feral animals can be to livestock and crops.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old May 28, 2010, 04:01 PM   #55
Mr. James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook686
I found it interesting no one really addressed the effects of Fido's aggression to those elderly, or disabled. Most seemed to hold an attitude that they can know what the dog thinks, how it acts, reacts and even if wrong in such assessment, they have the wherewithall to still quickly defeat the dog.

hmmm I do not have those skills. I reckon I'm just a jerk.
Of course not, my friend, but this thread fairly invites a "what-would-you-do" response; hence, the number of folks opining on precisely that. Were the posters either elderly or disabled, their responses would be decidedly different. When the time comes, each of us has had to re-assess his options based on his abilities and skills, or lack thereof. While I'm not disabled, I can no longer run for miles, out-sprint 18-year-old thugs, or wade in and brawl against multiple opponents. I can, however, stand down most domestic animals, and am armed in case that fails.

Best regards,
Bob James

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old May 28, 2010, 04:16 PM   #56
Cool_Hand

Here in mass there is a leash law, if your dog starts charging at me you better believe im putting that sucker down. Will I feel bad for the dog? Yes I will, for the most part the dog probably did not know any better. Do I feel bad for the owner? Absolutely not. Owning a dog is a big responsibility. If they don't take all proper precautions to keep their dog from attacking someone then they dont deserve to own one and I will make sure of that.

If you sense any bitterness here its because I have been attacked by a dog on two separate occasions, nothing serious but I was about to give the thing a swift kick under the chin before his owner pulled him away. If I had my CCW license at those times you can bet I would have shot the little buggers.
Old May 28, 2010, 05:17 PM   #57
Head-Space

Jerks!
Old May 28, 2010, 05:23 PM   #58
BlackFeather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head-Space
Jerks!
I lol'd

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old May 28, 2010, 05:29 PM   #59
animal

To those who want to trade individual liberties for government granted privileges, anyone willing to exercise their personal rights is a self righteous jerk.

An insult from them is almost as great an honor, as a compliment from someone I respect.

Thank you Head Space.
Old May 28, 2010, 05:37 PM   #60
BlackFeather

I have a question. I have no experience with them so I wouldn't know but would a taser be enough to kill a reasonable sized dog or just hurt one?

Old May 28, 2010, 05:39 PM   #61
jgcoastie

I wouldn't want to taser one if it had its teeth buried on one of my limbs... Might make the jaw muscles clamp down harder...

It would likely just stun them just as it would a human, but I don't want to be the test dummy for that theory to be vetted...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old May 28, 2010, 05:44 PM   #62
BlackFeather

Kind of what I thought. Just one of those sudden questions that you post then realize you think you know the answer anyways...

Old May 28, 2010, 05:52 PM   #63
animal

A quick google came up with a bunch of articles about tasers being an effective non-lethal alternative.

One was about animal rights groups squealing about tasers being a "form of torture" .. go figure…
Old May 28, 2010, 06:17 PM   #64
jgcoastie

Quote:
One was about animal rights groups squealing about tasers being a "form of torture" .. go figure…
I wonder what they would say about acute lead poisioning??? When the lead is traveling at around 900fps...
Old May 28, 2010, 06:49 PM   #65
leetosaurus

I really wouldn't want to shoot someone's dog. I've kicked the crap out of a mutt in January that started attacking my dog when we were on a walk. It got out of someone's yard.
Old May 28, 2010, 08:34 PM   #66
Mr. James

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal
To those who want to trade individual liberties for government granted privileges, anyone willing to exercise their personal rights is a self righteous jerk.

An insult from them is almost as great an honor, as a compliment from someone I respect.

Thank you, Head-Case - er, -Space!

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old May 28, 2010, 10:07 PM   #67
Maromero

Self rightiousness is just as bad as fundamentalism. It's not the act of killing a dog that bothers people but the prepotency and nonchalant indiference that you express yourself. It has absolutely nothing to do with exercising your rights.
Old May 28, 2010, 10:35 PM   #68
noyes

Never look a strange dog in the eyes.

No one knows what the dog considers it territory.

Move slowly do not run.

Try not to let the dog sence your fear.

IF the dog does sink it's teeth into you , try NOT to pull yourself away quickly. Or those puncture wounds may turn into a hugh chunk of meat missing from your body.

Grap the dogs nose , " nostrils " and quickly pull upwards .And some hate having their front paws squeezed .
Old May 28, 2010, 10:51 PM   #69
jgcoastie

Quote:
Grap the dogs nose , " nostrils " and quickly pull upwards
When a dog has a firm grip on my arm with his teeth, you want me to risk my uninjured arm (and possibly only working arm at this point) by putting my hand next to pooch's mouth???

Why can't I just shoot the dang thing?
Old May 28, 2010, 11:02 PM   #70
noyes

Quote:
Why can't I just shoot the dang thing?
I used to do schutzhund dog training I have been bite more than a few times on unprotected parts of my body. There is than training phase at which the dogs have not been trained to release yet . So just giving some alternative methods .Just in case you drop your gun before you get to use it. Or you find the dog gets the drop on you and you can't get to your gun.
Old May 28, 2010, 11:37 PM   #71
Beentown71

Also, to reduce injury/pain I suggest pushing the limb towards the dog if possible. I have worked as the K-9 gineau pig many times. This almost always made the dogs try to re-bite. It gives you a chance to pull it out. Plus it lessens the thrashing affect on the potential wound since they pull back and thrash their heads back and forth.

My technique for a dog bite on the arm for example is to push with bitten arm and stab/slash with knife with free hand on vital areas. Then change my drawers

Beentown

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old May 28, 2010, 11:57 PM   #72
jgcoastie

That's not very nice...

IBTL
Old May 29, 2010, 12:16 AM   #73
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

We've had a number of these dog threads in the past, and most of 'em ended the same way: Locked.

It's an emotionally-charged subject that actually leaves little room for discussion before it goes South.

One post was deleted for blatant profanity, and a few others probably should've been, so this one meets the same fate as the others.

Closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread