The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 3, 2001, 11:49 PM   #1
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Is this a new bench rest cartridge?

Ran across one piece of brass today at the range.

Headstamp is Lapua .308 WIN ... I'm OK so far. That's where it is parts company with .308 Win.

OAL = 1.850" (SAAMI specs for .308 Win = 2.015")
shoulder angle looks to be right at 60 degrees ("measured" with a 7X hand loupe w/angluar marks) = very sharp (.308 Win = 20 deg)

"Obvious" wildcat & whomever loaded this had placed a Sharpie pen index mark & a # for tracking.

Looks to be an attempt at a sorta PPC-type cartridge but in .30 cal

Any ideas?

Too, Harley/mods, if this isn't the right place, feel free to move to whatever topic area ....
Old August 4, 2001, 03:50 PM   #2
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Proper Forum???

labgrade,
This one deals with such an overlap area that I don't believe any of the moderators will fight over where it belongs. I wouldn't worry if you'd posted it in "my" Handloading & Reloading area, and it would seem to be at home in Art of the Rifle. Equally, it is an area of Research, and I imagine Harley will tolerate it pretty well right where we are.

(And it could well be some sorta new handgun round--Even a revolver sorta thing: Let's see, how 'bout some full-moon clips to use it in a long-cylinder Super Redhawk?)

(Or, or, uh, in Full Auto. Yeah, that's the ticket: In FULL AUTO FORUM! Think carefully, now--Were there M-60 links in the area where you found the case?)

Hummm--Probably not in Shotgun though. Nor in Cowboy Action Shooting, or the Close Quarter Battle vicinity.

Just thinkin' out loud.

Best,
Johnny
Old August 4, 2001, 04:07 PM   #3
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Johnny, that's why we need a new forum for weird stuff we've picked up at the range. Ahahahaha My next request, soon as the darned magazine's named.

Think I'll let this sit for a couple more here & if nobody picks up on it, I'll spam the other forums - see what turns up.

Talked to this guy at the range who had built 2X BR rifles based on a sorta .22 & 6mm PPC 'cept its parent case was .473" rather than the .22 Russian's .441" - get to use standard bolt face, etc.
... cute li'l things.

Found this .308-based case after he left ... bet he could've shed some light on it. These bench rest guys come up with very interesting (& super accurate) stuff!