The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 5, 2016, 12:44 PM   #1
Rob228

NSI Target Low Recoil

Does anyone have experience with the 20 gauge 3/4 ounce low recoil load? My wife has taken quite strongly to clays shooting (trap and skeet) and she had been not quite satisfied with her 1100 Skeet. A fortuitous turn of events led to a 686 Silver Pigeon coming her way, but she's a bit recoil sensitive. She was good with the 1100 and 7/8 ounce loads, but I'd like to go a bit lighter with the O/U.

These NSIs seem to be a fairly good price, but I'm wondering if they'll have less recoil than the Winchester 7/8 ounce "low recoil" loaded to 900 FPS.
Old May 5, 2016, 02:34 PM   #2
FITASC

Since recoil is a function of gun weight, payload weight and payload velocity, it may or may not depending on the weight of her new gun. If you Google "shotgun recoil calculator" you get a site where you plug that stuff in and it will calculate the recoil. This is actual recoil.

You can always reload a 3/4oz load for her.

Gun fit and her form and stance will dictate how she handles the felt recoil, aka "perceived", aka "kick". Factors such as LOP, thickness of comb, drop at heel, drop at comb, cast on or off, pitch, etc. will be the factors there.

A gun fit by a qualified fitter can be worth the money.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 5, 2016, 07:34 PM   #3
Rob228

Wenig is only a day's drive away. They are at the upper limits of my price range but it would be better to know that it fits. I don't suppose you know if they work with existing wood or if you have to have it made from scratch?
Old May 6, 2016, 06:57 AM   #4
FITASC

Sorry, I do not know that; perhaps someone here does. Otherwise, a simple call will determine that.

Good luck!
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 6, 2016, 10:10 AM   #5
g.willikers

Check the Power Factor videos on the subject.
Lots of good info from Steve and co-hosts there.
Old May 6, 2016, 06:52 PM   #6
Creek Henry

Hay

I have used the Fiocci training loads for my son. They do have low recoil. 3/4 oz 1050 fps they say. The recoil is too low to operate my Franchi inertia gun.

Rem also makes a low noise load, 7/8 oz 950 fps. This recoils more but noticeably less than 7/8 1250 fps loads.

A limbsaver recoil pad is the solution you are looking for though.