The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 1, 2007, 05:39 PM   #1
Joe Martin

Greetings Friends

Just wanted to make a quick post here to introduce myself. My handle is Joe Martin and I'm a long time supporter and member of the NMLRA as well as the NRA.

For the past 30 plus years I have been hooked on shooting the traditional styled muzzle loading rifles and pistols in NMLRA sanctioned events and competitions, as well as my local ML club events we hold monthly. For me, it just doesn't get any better then this!

I do believe in all the shooting sports at all levels and I do dabble in the .22LR Matches as well as our Trap Matches at my local club, though muzzle loading competition is one of my greatest joys in life, the first naturally being my family.

When hunting season is over where I live, my home away from home becomes the firing line. I also build my own muzzle loaders, and build them for friends as well, but have no desire to make a career of it. When play becomes work it can lose its appeal...

I'm glad I found this site, it looks as if it's a good place to discuss our common interests. I hope I can make some productive posts, and I'm sure I'll read many productive post here. This looks to be a great site!
Old August 1, 2007, 07:27 PM   #2
mykeal

Welcome, Joe.

Come on in, pull up a barrel next to the stove and sit a while.
Old August 1, 2007, 07:55 PM   #3
K.A.T.

Hello Joe, Glad to see you are a NRA member,I am currently building a muzzleloader,might have a few questions for you before I finish,welcome aboard.
Old August 1, 2007, 08:18 PM   #4
Joe Martin

Thanks for the welcome, mykeal and K.A.T.!

Glad to answer any questions if I know the answer. If I don't know I bet we can find someone who does!
Old August 2, 2007, 10:11 AM   #5
arcticap

Howdy Joe,
My NMLRA ML club closed down recently due to housing encroachment, and there's basically 1 other ML club in this state which is too far away for me.
I never see any other traditional shooters at my local gun club, except for when I take my oldest son.
It will be my pleasure to hear about your ML shooting activities.
Old August 2, 2007, 11:21 AM   #6
Wild Bill Bucks

Welcome Joe,

You have found a home here. I have really enjoyed the forum, as I'm sure you will.

ARTICAP,

That's a bad rig, your club closing down. Next time your down my way, you can use the range at my place on McGee Creek Lake, and shoot all the powder you can carry.
Old August 2, 2007, 12:59 PM   #7
Joe Martin

Hello Articap and Wild Bill Bucks!

Articap,

Sorry to hear of the club/range closing in your area. Is there another club in your area that would take the muzzle loader shooters in? Our local club is dedicated to all the shooting sports, muzzle loaders, modern firearms, trap, pistol. We (the muzzle loader's) get one Sunday a month set aside for our use, and we do make the most of it. As a matter of fact we're more dedicated to our matches then the other interests who reserve shooting dates then don't use the range.

Our local newspaper also prints our monthly ML results and I believe this has helped us with participation and keeping the interest alive and well for now. Perhaps there is another club in your area that would be willing to share it's range usage with the ML shooters? Good luck, and I sure hope things work out.

Wild Bill,

I agree, this is a great site for all shooting interest. Sorry I hadn't found this place sooner, but I'm here now and enjoying it when I can.
Old August 2, 2007, 11:36 PM   #8
arcticap

Thanks for the sympathy guys.
The club had a world famous experiments page on it's website, some might even recognize it:

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_about.html

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments.html

The club was located about 35 miles downstate from me, and most of the shooters joined another gun club downstate that has some ML activites, but that would be about an 1+ hour drive for me which is just too far away.
The first New England Cabela's is opening very close to me within the next year, so maybe there will be more interest in traditional muzzle loading locally as a result.
Whenever I do shoot at my local club, folks will come over to watch and inquire about it. But you know how it is, most people just shoot their centerfire guns.
Old August 3, 2007, 07:22 AM   #9
Joe Martin

I recognized that website, Arcticap... I remember finding it once and unfortunately did not save it to my favorites and was not able to find it again until your latest post.

What will happen to the site now? I, like everyone else just hates to hear of range closings. This is the second one in as many weeks that I've heard of.

Would it be possible for the members of your club to pitch in and take out an ad in your local newspaper requesting the usage of some private land (your club picking up the insurance) to continue on with keeping the spirit of muzzle loading alive? Maybe someone is out there close to you folks that will be willing to step up and help out with a place to shoot?
Old August 3, 2007, 07:46 AM   #10
Schofield

Hey Joe! Newbie myself. Great bunch to talk with and learn from.
Old August 3, 2007, 01:01 PM   #11
Joe Martin

Welcome Schofield! Yep, we're the new kids on the block, and it's a mighty fine block to be on! Lots of interesting shooting related stuff here. I don't know how I ever could have missed finding this place until now?