The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 30, 2005, 02:20 PM   #1
boxcab

Mag Extension Install

I purchased a Choate Magazine Extension for my Remington 870 Express and I am looking at the options for installation. My 870 has the "Indentions" in the factory magazine. From a search of this and other web sites it looks like I have four options.

1. Use a 3/16th dia drill to remove the indentions (Choates recommended method). This would leave two holes in the magazine, possibly exposing the interior to dirt and moisture. (The holes may end up under the barrel collar)

2. Use a Dremmel tool to grind away the indentions. This looks like it would leave very thin material in the area if not actual "breakouts" after a complete removal of the indentions. See option #1.

3. Have a Gunsmith remove the indentions with a expanding "dent" remover. Would this cause a bulge in the mag tube or other fit problems as the indentions are near the threads for the cap/mag extension? How much does this cost?

4. Make or buy a modified follower that would clear the indentions. Will the mag follower ever rotate and hang up on the indention?

If you have been down any of these paths of modification, or have additional options, please respond with your results/experiences/failures/cost/etc.

I would like this thread to be a one-stop answer for myself, and any future 870 modifiers.

Thanks ahead of time for your help,

-Boxcab
Old September 30, 2005, 02:35 PM   #2
Wildalaska

Gunsmith...nice and clean and $25

WildwhymessaroundAlaska
Old September 30, 2005, 03:44 PM   #3
Lee Lapin

My preference is to just not buy an 870 with dimples- there are plenty of older pre-dimple Expresses around. Or just leave off the magazine extension on this gun and learn to load the sucker fast without looking (good skill to have anyway).

Failing that, best just drill them out carefully. The area _will_ be covered by the barrel ring, no worries about open holes in the mag tube. And it is better to get them gone completely IMO than have the job half done and wind up with potential obstructions in the tube from dimple residuals.

Cheat a bit though, get a piece of rag out of the ragbag just big enough to tightly plug the magazine tube. Tie a stout piece of twine around it and drop it through the receiver end of the tube, pulling the rag up toward the muzzle end of the magazine tube. Stop short of the dimples you are going to drill out and leave the string out of the way in the magazine tube. Then drill out the dimples, clean up with a Dremel tool if necessary to get rid of all the intrusion into the mag tube. Then point the muzzle end down and shake it. That will get rid of a lot of the filings from removing the dimples, the rest will come out when you grab the dangling end of teh string and pull the rag bundle the rest of the way out of the magazine tube. Lots better to do that than let them fall back in and foul up the action...

Success with option 3 depends on the quality of the gunsmith, a good one with proper tools will do a good job and not charge an arm and a leg but... you might not have a good one. You'd have to be the judge of that.

Your option 4 is a nonstarter. Mag follower might clear if you reduce its diameter but shell heads will likely jam up too.

Stay safe,

lpl/nc
Old October 2, 2005, 11:39 AM   #4
boxcab

Thanks...

It looks like I need to have a talk with my gunsmith, and then decide if I want to do it myself.

Thanks again for the input,

Boxcab
Old October 2, 2005, 02:54 PM   #5
K80Geoff

Several folks have used a socket from a ratchet wrench set to expand the dimples. You need the proper diameter socket.

A certain long time member here does this all the time but he seems to be off somewhere looking for something.
Old October 2, 2005, 03:09 PM   #6
Edward429451

I'm no gunsmith and I did mine. Just drilled it out and cleaned up the burrs. Took about a half hour and worked perfectly.
Old October 2, 2005, 03:37 PM   #7
Cactus

Check out the post about dimple removal shown below.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=53267
Old October 3, 2005, 11:58 AM   #8
9mmMike

I have used the socket method with success. I have/had a socket with a very close OD to the mag tube ID. Once it is tapped into place, I carefully applied a small dose of heavy ball-peen. The socket actually gets a skosh looser as the dents come out. Once the dents are almost gone, a dremel to smooth the inside and a shot of black paint (which is hidden under the barrel ring anyway) and you're good to go.
I have not had any trouble with followers hanging up with any of my factory +3 extensions.
Mike

PS. I did just get back from a beautiful property in the middle of nowhere.......
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!