The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 25, 2012, 09:19 AM   #1
mapsjanhere

Gun show trade and sell?

At the last gun show I attended there was an argument about the legality of trading for a gun and then selling it at the same show. About half the people thought you can't do that as a private seller, others thought it fine. There was also a rumor of ATF agents trapping people with that trick for lack of FFL. Does anyone have a legal reference to this?
Old March 25, 2012, 09:55 AM   #2
ScottRiqui

For a private individual, I can't see the problem. Regarding the people that said it *wasn't* legal, what was their reasoning? Did it have to do with the fact that you initially got the gun in trade, as opposed to buying it? Or are they saying that you can't sell a gun that you only recently acquired? I'm not seeing where a private individual would be running afoul of any laws.
Old March 25, 2012, 12:04 PM   #3
Patriot86

What state are we talking about here? That could come into play....

If you trade for a gun in a state with no waiting period...its your property. Why can't you turn around and sell it? If memory serves you need an FFL if you are "in the business of buying and selling firearms" meaning you sell more than 3 a year.

I know Bloomberg & Co have been sending out officers to entrap people at gun shows in the North East but never herd of it elsewhere.
Old March 25, 2012, 01:00 PM   #4
kinggabby

I see no problem in buying and turning around and making a $10- whatever profit if it is your gun.
Old March 25, 2012, 04:02 PM   #5
Flaman

I'm pretty sure it depends on the state also... My website (see signature line below) has a links page; check out some of those pages- one of them should be able to answer your question....
Old March 25, 2012, 04:33 PM   #6
mapsjanhere

Well, the argument was strictly federal - ATF related; basically, if you're acquiring a gun at a gun show and turn around and sell it immediately, you're "in business" as you were obviously not buying the gun for yourself but for profit.
Old March 25, 2012, 06:48 PM   #7
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
if you're acquiring a gun at a gun show and turn around and sell it immediately, you're "in business"
It's a grey area, but the word "repetitive" is used in the statute.
Old March 27, 2012, 10:28 AM   #8
Emuricah513

Personally I can't see an issue with this. I'm with everyone else here wondering on what grounds can they charge you with something? I'd have to speak with someone who has had this happen but even then I can't say I'd be swayed that they were wrong by any means. This is the government we're talking about here their philosophy has always been "Let's take something simple and complicate it." I will continue to do so if I choose until I am personally stopped.