The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 27, 2009, 02:43 AM   #1
ballardw

What would cause powder to clump?

I'm pulling down someone else's reloads to use the cases and bullets and I found that the powder didn't want to pour out. The cases are supposedly Win 748, which I don't have any experience with, and is a ball or semi-spherical powder. I've had to stick a probe into the case to break up the clumps so that it will pour.

I have powder that's over 50 years old that pours just fine, so I'm wondering what this guy did!
Old January 27, 2009, 02:54 AM   #2
HiBC

First,the way I look at powder,if it did not come out of a sealed original can,it is lawn fertilizer.

Not that I know first hand,but my understanding is the troubles a .458 had were around the factory load being a compressed load with Win ball powder mixed with a little heat.It cookies up,and then doesn't burn right.

If I was loading a Win ball powder,I would not compress it.
Old January 27, 2009, 03:16 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Agree. I don't even know how much heat you need? If you compress it, it will relax into its new space and be stuck.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 27, 2009, 04:59 AM   #4
FrankenMauser

The only times I've had powder clump.... It had come in contact with oil.

I loaded a few of the cases some 'clumpy' powder came out from, late last year. (I tossed the powder) There was still enough oil residue in the cases to foul the new powder and cause squibs. Lucky for me, they were the "good" squibs that make it out the end of the barrel.

Definitely tumble that brass, and / or use some kind of solvent that won't leave a residue. There could be other causes of the clumping; but for me, it has always been oil.
Old January 27, 2009, 05:06 AM   #5
Shoney

Wasn't this explained in the movie "The Clumps" staring Eddie Murphy?
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old January 27, 2009, 09:02 AM   #6
Jim Watson

I had some 748 clump in the can over a spell when I was not loading rifle ammo. I freaked out and sent it back to Winchester, they sent me a couple of coupons (which I had a devil of a time finding a dealer to accept.) Next time I just broke up the clumps and loaded it. No problemo. I think it was humidity changes, there was sure no oil in the can or exposure to heat.

I would not apply the same logic to pull down ammunition. You don't know what that stuff is.
Old January 27, 2009, 11:54 PM   #7
ballardw

Thanks guys!

It looks like the load was mildly compressed so the compress/heat option sounds likely. There wasn't any detectable oil or other residue on the couple I examined closely.

Lawn fertilizer it is. I'd already planned on that as I know what the labels on the box said but I'm not going to trust that.