The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 19, 2005, 12:28 AM   #1
bikenjam

no case expansion on a .223?

I've been reloading for my 223 for a little over a year now. Im sure i've reloaded many of the cases over 10 times. In all this time i've never run into a case that was too lond, i'm i alone here? I'm running pretty hot loads, so i don't think thats an issue. Also, i haven't had to throw any cases away yet from cracks and such. and like i said, i've reloaded a number of them over 10 times. I'm not complaining, just wondering since i don't seem to have these "problems" in my 270, 308, 30-06, and 7mm mag.
Old March 19, 2005, 03:35 PM   #2
Dave R

If you've measures the cases with calipers, and they are within specs, then no problem. Enjoy the fact that you don't have to trim.
Old March 20, 2005, 06:53 AM   #3
Dogjaw

If I were to guess without knowing more:
  1. all your rifles are bolt action
  2. the brass for each caliber rifle has only been fired in that rifle
The brass will expand out to match the rifle's chamber. Using a neck resizer eliminates a lot of stretch, but can only be used in a bolt rifle because the brass will generally be too tight for autos etc. The brass in this situation is already sized to match your chamber. If your using full length resizing dies, your rifles chambers may be simply on the smaller side. Be glad you don't have to put as much work into it. Do your loaded shells fall into the chamber, or slide in like a nice tight fit?
3) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves..........
Old March 20, 2005, 07:59 AM   #4
bikenjam

I'm reloading for my DPMS varmint AR. I'm using a Redding type S full length die. maybe i am just getting lucky, i thought it might have had something to do with such a small case, thats all.
Old March 20, 2005, 08:15 AM   #5
Dogjaw

Some rounds are better than others. A 30-30 has a thin case to begin with, and is really prone to grow. This limits the amount of reloads on the case as it gets thinner and harder.
3) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves..........
Old March 20, 2005, 09:15 AM   #6
molonlabe

Wrong post. Too many open windows.

So since I'm here this was posted yesterday and I found it useful. It probably has something to do with the dimension of your chamber. Probably .223 with .223 dies. The .223 camber vrs the 5.56 was probably chosen for accuracy. Just my thoughts.
http://www.ammo-oracle.com/body.htm

I Don't want you in here period...Patricia Konie NOLA 2005