The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 25, 2010, 06:53 AM   #26
Morgoroth

I just had a thought. What happens in one of those bio safes when the batteries die?
Old June 25, 2010, 07:21 AM   #27
SFSElite

I'm pretty sure most safes that require battery or ac power hook up also have some from of mechanical back up whether its a key or a standard combination lock mechanism.
Old June 25, 2010, 04:07 PM   #28
markj

I own the worlds ugliest truck, folks have actuially tossed change in the open windows..

I would bet I could find a few guns in a few trucks and or tractors in my area I live in. Farmers usually have a gun in the cab for varmints, 4 or 2 legged. These vehicles just dont get much attention by the baddies. During hunting season I have a dog box sits in the back, has a top that locks and can hold a lot of shotguns. Have kept a few in there between hunts. Never left a handgun in there tho, and the truck locks up.

If I had a car that folks would want to steal I would never leave a gun in it.

I sold a truck once and left a large kershaw knife in the console, sure do miss it, was a snap on tool freebie.
Old June 25, 2010, 04:16 PM   #29
rantingredneck

I have a lock box I bolted to the floor of my truck. It has a 6" GP100 inside. When I go in my office, or anywhere else that's a prohibited location, it'll have either an LCR or an SP101 keeping it company. I also have an 18' 870 under the rear seat of my truck locked with a cable lock.

I've got some scrap steel and have the skills, tools, and intent to fabricate a custom locking bracket for it that I'll also bolt through the floor. Just haven't found the time to do so yet.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old June 25, 2010, 09:42 PM   #30
stephen426

While I value the security of my guns, I'm certainly not going to drill any extra holes in my car to attach lock boxes. Many car bodies are galvanized and drilling into them could allow it to rust. Besides, there aren't too many places to drill any holes. Everything is pretty much covered up with carpet.
Old June 26, 2010, 10:46 PM   #31
Hook686

Quote:
I've never left in the car.
I am curious ... what do you do with your CCW when you go into a 'Gun Free Zone' ? Do you carry into a Federal building, bar, school grounds, etc. ?

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old June 27, 2010, 01:01 PM   #32
brickeyee

I routinely enter federal enclaves that do not allow ANY firearms, except the armed guards for the facility.

No guns in lock boxes, no ammunition, NOTHING.

Luckily I can leave it at my other office in a private building (and the boss does not care) before driving the short distance to the federal property.

Sometimes it has to be left in the car though.

Keep it well out of sight, and do not have anything else in sight that would invite entry.

Having rather nasty laws on the books about theft helps keep things way down.

In Virginia stealing a car will get you a felony, and if there was a gun in the car another felony for that.

It still happens, but is not a big problem.
Old June 27, 2010, 09:28 PM   #33
Ramman911

I would also suggest emptying any extra clips from your pockets before trying to enter a federal or state building. Found out the hard way that's not a good idea and the cops have no sense of humor
Old June 28, 2010, 09:13 AM   #34
rantingredneck

Quote:
No guns in lock boxes, no ammunition, NOTHING.
I'm occasionally in the same situation, having to enter state or federal government complexes where even the parking lots are off limits. My solution there is an elaborate scheme of parking in another public lot or on-street somewhere nearby and getting in a nice walk to the off-limits destination.

It's occasionally for work purposes, but routine for my daughter's school. Luckily we attend church directly across the street from her school and I park in the church lot and walk across to the school.

Sometimes you have to go to a lot of trouble to legally live an armed life.

Old June 28, 2010, 03:28 PM   #35
brickeyee

There are many high security government locations that cannot be walked up to at all.

Entering in a vehicle is the only way in.

It makes security easier.

There are never any persons even outside the perimeter not in a car.
Old June 28, 2010, 04:10 PM   #36
aarondhgraham

This affects me a lot,,,

I work at a State University,,,
I can't even park my car on campus if a gun is in it,,,
So to protect my job I must park off-campus when I am carrying.

Leaving my gun under the seat or in the glove compartment,,,
That's just not an option for me.

I purchased a lock box which I mounted behind the seat of my pick-up,,,
A determined thief would probably have the box in 5 minutes,,,
But it's better than no security at all, don't you think?

I have a few friends who ignore that law,,,
But they take the chance of being charged with a violation,,,
And losing what I find to be a very desirable employment situation.

Heck, I know people who carry on campus,,,
They cite the "judged by 12 rather than carried by 6" philosophy,,,
I just can't make myself take the chance of losing very lucrative employment.

It's a conundrum that's for sure,,,
But since I have installed a locking steel box,,,
I'm relatively sure I can convince a jury I showed due diligence.

I don't think I will be charged with negligence should my truck be stolen,,,
That was the OP's original concern if I read the article correctly.

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old June 28, 2010, 04:49 PM   #37
stargazer65

Quote:
But since I have installed a locking steel box,,,
I'm relatively sure I can convince a jury I showed due diligence.

I don't think I will be charged with negligence should my truck be stolen,,,
That was the OP's original concern if I read the article correctly.
That was part of my concern, the main reason being I don't want someone to use my gun to harm someone else because it was left readily available. Especially with naked women stealing cars all over the place. I prefer to keep it on me, however I realize that is not always possible. I wanted to hear everyones opinion and/or solution. A locked box in the car seems perfectly reasonable to me.
Old June 28, 2010, 08:05 PM   #38
rantingredneck

Quote:
There are many high security government locations that cannot be walked up to at all.

Entering in a vehicle is the only way in.

It makes security easier.

There are never any persons even outside the perimeter not in a car.
Luckily I'm not a frequent visitor to any of those. Mine are all low-security but legally off limits locations.

Old June 28, 2010, 09:50 PM   #39
doc540

That's why I don't keep a valuable gun in my car.

Around $400 is my "value ceiling".

Old June 29, 2010, 01:34 AM   #40
stephen426

^ Based on the adjustable thigh support, heavy side bolsters, and the hand brake, I'm going to guess BMW. Based on the shifter and wood trim, I'm guessing 5 series. Based on the condition of the leather, I'd say 2003 - 2004. Since you have the sport seats, I'm guessing 540. Am I right?

By the way, I don't think the holster is in that great a location since it can be seen by anyone looking in your car. I had my windo busted for a stupid cheapo portable GPS because I left the suction cup mount there. Luck I had the trunk locked because I had a bunch of stuff back there. It was a pain in the friggin rear since I had to clean up all the glass and it was really late at night. If you must leave it in the car, you might want to toss it in the glove box and lock it. While most glove boxes are relatively easy to bust open, at least the gun isn't in plain sight.

The value of the gun is just one aspect of having the gun stolen. For me, it means one more gun in the hands of a criminal. If there is personal information in the car, like there normally is, the thief may decide to hit your house as well (and he will have your gun).

Thats my $.02 anyway.
Old June 29, 2010, 06:47 AM   #41
ranburr

I leave a CD Hi Power in my truck. I have the muzzle tucked where the seat splits. I keep a towel or a ball cap over the exposed grip. Strangely enough, my truck has been broken into several times and the pistol was never touched. If it gets stolen, I'm out $300. A safe or lock box seems worthless to me since they don't allow instant access. Just use a pistol that you won't cry over if it is stolen.
Old June 29, 2010, 10:21 AM   #42
doc540

"By the way, I don't think the holster is in that great a location since it can be seen by anyone looking in your car."

That's a legitimate concern, but in my case with the seat pulled forward (pulled back for the pic), low mount in the footwell, and tinted windows, it can't be seen even on a sunny day.

I cover it with a rag or towel just to make sure.

And you figured it out, 2000 E39 540iT Dinan S2

btw: I used to keep a Sigma in the car and never worried that a thief would try to use it in a crime. He'd be discouraged by the trigger.
Old June 30, 2010, 02:04 AM   #43
stephen426

doc540,

Nice ride! I'm sure the Dinan package is amazing. I'm a Bimmer guy myself. I had an '02 M3 for seven years and now I have the '09 M3 sedan. The problem with BMWs is that they are really short on places to store stuff. I had a '95 Volvo 850 and my Glock 26 fit perfectly in the center console. The center console opened with just the press of a button and the gun was always perfectly positioned facing the rear seats.

I actually had to draw once and I totally freaked out the other people in the car because I did it so quickly. It was really late one night (around 2:30 a.m.) and I was in a drive through with some friends in the car. The people screwed up the order so I pulled around to let them know. Three guys were walking across the parking lot so I let them cross. The last guy to pass put his hands on the hood of my car and then ran right up to my window. By the time he got to my window, I had the gun in my hand, ready to go. The guy gave me some stupid story about being drunk and not looking to start any trouble. This was in Gainesville, FL (where UF is) so I'm sure it was possible. In Miami (where I'm from), you don't run up to people's cars at night unless you are looking to get shot!
Old July 1, 2010, 12:11 AM   #44
Savage.Detroit

Unfortunately there are pistol free zones so there will be times you will have to "put it up". A good lock box is necessary. Something that you can bolt down or tether down in a inconspicuous place.
Old July 1, 2010, 10:49 AM   #45
Edward429451

I like having a gun in the car. I do not leave a gun in the car ever.

Quote:
I'd like to see some crook trying to conceal my pistol with a 265/70 R16 attached
Do you realize how easy it'd be to snatch the tire and walk, concealing the pistol under the tire while walking a few blocks to where they could call a bud for a lift and then go somewhere to work on it? Don't kid yourself!