The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 19, 2009, 12:42 PM   #1
thickstrings

Crackshot

I have a Stevens Crackshot #26 with a good bore and extractor. The problem is that the under lever hangs down....What loose, missing or ill fitting part is the culprit?....Have been to Wisners site, seen the blow up drawing...Also...Does anyone know of a smith that would reline a 32 long 1915 Favorite to 22lr, and fit a extractor? Thanks
Old June 19, 2009, 01:05 PM   #2
Scorch

Your Favorite is likely getting loose because of link pins or link pin holes in the breech block wearing and/or a poorly fitting breech block. You should contact John Taylor at Taylor Machine at 253-445-4073 M-F. He is extremely knowledgeable and does excellent quality work.

John can also reline your other Favorite from .32 S&W Long to 22LR or any other appropriate chambering.
Old June 21, 2009, 05:43 PM   #3
Hunter Customs

I had a model 26 in the shop a while back, the cocking lever would not stay in the up position.
There's a roller in the receiver the cocking lever cams over to hold it in the up position.
The model 26 in the shop was missing it's roller. I did not have a spec sheet to go by so I took measurements of the existing parts involved with the roller and proceeded to fabricate a new roller.
Here's the specs for the new roller I made, roller diameter 0.327, roller length 0.378, center hole in roller 0.185.
After installing the new roller the lever of the old model 26 locked up tight.
I tell you all of this as it may be the roller in your rifle is worn to the point that the lever of your rifle may no longer cam over it tight enough.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old June 22, 2009, 10:14 AM   #4
thickstrings

Thanks so much for your replies. Upon further inspection, the underlever does indeed cam on the roller, not very, tight could use a new one.They have them at Wisners,parts for old Stevens. I beleive a lot of the loosness is coming from the breech block, as there is a lot of side to side motion....Do you think the block could be welded up and redrilled to tighten it up some? Tig? thanks
Old June 26, 2009, 10:39 AM   #5
Hunter Customs

If you are refering to welding a hole shut and re-drilling it I don't believe that's the way I would go about it.
Instead I would drill the hole larger, silver solder a piece of round stock in the larger hole and then drill the proper size hole in the round stock.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old June 26, 2009, 11:43 AM   #6
Scorch

Bob is right, the correct way to repair the breech block is to bush it. Once the breech block fits tighter, you may find the roller is just right.