The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 31, 2012, 10:34 PM   #1
baddarryl

Problems with WWB in a Buckmark?

Hi all. I picked up a very clean Buckmark URX used. I have had it out for 2 very short sessions. The first I determined to be magazine related (are they rebuildable?). Then I shot 3 mags full the second time and had at least one stovepipe and one failure that was ammo related. I was using the cheap WWB bulk stuff. Do these pistols ever get finicky of ammo? I am going to give it a good cleaning and try again soon and maybe take some different ammo with me. Thanks.
Old December 31, 2012, 11:30 PM   #2
rrockefe

I wouldn't use that WWB bulk crap in any .22 now. I was using it in a Beretta NEOS and it was scattering like a shotgun. After finally checking the barrel real close, I found terrible leading had occurred. After I cleaned it out and tried 4 other brands that all shot well I knew it wasn't the gun. Then I tried the WWB in an old target rifle (Rem. 513T) and it shoots pretty well with no leading. So now I use Federal bulk in the NEOS and will get rid of the WWB through the 513T. Perhaps the barrel surface in that rifle made many years ago is considerably smoother than the NEOS and doesn't scape off the lead shavings. I don't know, but I've bought my last box of it. It also occasionally failed to completely eject on the last round. In the rifle I had two case separations of the rim. Just all around bad stuff!
Old January 1, 2013, 12:52 AM   #3
chris in va

Switch to CCI and carry on.
Old January 1, 2013, 01:12 AM   #4
BarryLee

Quote:
Switch to CCI and carry on.
Yes, I had a few issues with a couple of different brands of ammo, but after switching to CCI exclusively I have experienced zero issues. The only problem is with the recent run on ammo we may be stuck with what we can find.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 1, 2013, 07:19 AM   #5
geetarman

I use CCI in mine and don't have any problems. I do buy other than CCI for use in a lever gun, bolt gun or revolver.

Carpe Cerveza
Old January 1, 2013, 11:45 AM   #6
Hal

Buy a box of Stingers.

Fire a few. It doesn't have to be in the Buckmark since all you're after is the spent cases.

When cleaning the Buckmark, take one of the spent Stinger cases and push it into the chamber.
It will cut the "crud ring" in the chamber that's built up by the lube on the standard length, 40 grain, .22lr ammo.

It's the same idea behind using a spent .357mag case in a .357 mag that's been fired w/.38spl to remove the "crud ring".

I keep a few loose spent Stinger cases in my range bag. I shove one in the chamber to ream it out after every couple/few hundred shots with every .22 I shoot.

When you say WWB, would that be the Winchester Wildcats?
IMHO - Wildcats are lower on the food chain than Remington Thunderbolts.
Both are filthy, but, at least the Thunderbolts shoot straight compared to the Wildcats.
Old January 1, 2013, 12:00 PM   #7
baddarryl

Hal- my box says White Box and nothing about Wildcats. Thanks for the tip on the Stingers. I will try something else for the Buckmark. I have a bolt action Marlin that I can feed these WWB to.
Old January 1, 2013, 01:17 PM   #8
Roland Thunder

I have had problems with CCI as well in my new Buckmark, However, the feed/stovepiping problems become fewer and farther between as the gun becomes more broke in.
Old January 1, 2013, 02:27 PM   #9
Dashunde

Mine runs good on the Federal bulk packs.
Old January 1, 2013, 09:40 PM   #10
jfrey

I run nothing but CCI Blazer or Federal Champion through mine and it works great. Tried other stuff and it didn't like it so I stayed with what works.
Old January 1, 2013, 10:09 PM   #11
treg

Mine runs good on the Winchester 555 bulk packs. In the past (up to 25 years ago) I have found that some of the lower end (Blazers, Wildcats, etc) are weaker and do not operate the slide correctly such as you describe. I would do as HAL suggests with the Stinger case and try some CCI or Winchester SuperX ammo. Surely you can find some bulk pack ammo that will serve for range and blasting if desired once you prove your gun.

Thanks for the tip HAL.
Old January 2, 2013, 05:47 AM   #12
NWCP

The best ammo I've found for the two Buckmarks I own is the CCI Standard Velocity. No FTF, FTE, or any other issues. It's just as accurate as their Green Box premium ammo but not near as expensive. I also use it in my .22LR long guns, both bolt and semi auto. Good stuff. CCI ammo in general is good for what ails you. I avoid the majority of bulk ammo such as the Winchester bulk ammo. It's a shame though. You'd think with the name and history behind the company that Winchester would do a better job with their rimfire ammo. Remington isn't much better.