The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old June 12, 2011, 02:45 PM   #1
kraigwy

Shot Timer Trick

Being old, and too much shooting in my younger years without ear protection, big guns in the Army, plus 16 or so years in EOD, I can't hear poop.

With ear protection on, the RO has to tap me on the shoulder to start as opposed to using the "beep" on the shot timer. No problem unless you are practicing alone.

I cant hear the the timer unless I remove one of my ear muffs. I got it figured out. I clamp the time to my shirt instead of my belt. I start in the "surrender position" only my left, (non-firing) hand is holding the left muff off the ear, I can hear the beep.

At the beep I just drop the ear muff and go on about the business.

It doesn't slow me down yet allows me to use the muffs on both ears.

Probably others that are hard of hearing already figured this out, it takes me a while get the ideal.

Anyway try it if you can't hear the "beep" on your shot timer.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 12, 2011, 04:29 PM   #2
Steviewonder1

Get yourself a set of the "Electronic Earmuffs". There are several out there that work great. It is like a hearing aid that stops the gunshots but lets everything else thru including the beep. All have volume controls and most are stereo so you have a sense of direction.
Old June 21, 2011, 12:19 AM   #3
axxxel

If what you're doing right now works for you then fine but those electronic muffs are sweet...

There is a whole range of them from the simplest ones that let you hear enough to keep a conversation going with someone not wearing muffs to in-ear hearing plugs that improve your hearing.

There is a company that is marketing itself by ads in hunting magazines with the slogan "It's like a riflescope for your ear".
Old June 21, 2011, 06:53 AM   #4
jmorris

What timer do you have?

Reason I ask is that I too have high freq. hearing loss and cannot hear a CED 7000. The Pact timer works best for me.