The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 11, 2008, 11:16 AM   #1
BrunoNorway

BAR LongTrac

Hey.
I have just sent a aplication for the Browning BAR LongTrac, 30-06, and are just courious about its performance. I am not a marine sharpshooter yet so my demands in a rifle are limited. Can someone give me some info on this rifle? And by the way is ther any kind of "high cap mags" for them?(SHTF) All info is good info. Thanks.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

Last edited by BrunoNorway; October 11, 2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old October 12, 2008, 08:59 AM   #2
cat9x

Great selection! Now i'm not familiar w/ the new BAR's but I hunt with a 1968 Belgian BAR grade II in .308 and my father hunt's with a mid 1990's BAR mk II Safari in .270 w/ BOSS system. In the many years of hunting and shooting we have NEVER had a single malfunction of any kind in either rifle.

Before every deer season we take the rifles to the range and confirm they're dialed in. Both rifles, year after year, consistently shoot 5/8" groups at 100 yards (and we are not seasoned target shooters). Dont let anyone tell you BAR's cannot shoot...our are sub moa all day long.

My only complaint, and this is only encountered at the range, is that after firing several consecutive shots the barrel heats up quickly and groups tend to grow. Obviously this has never been a problem in the field.

You did good for yourself!!
Old October 12, 2008, 09:13 AM   #3
BrunoNorway

That is great news. I have found one very cheep. $1600. I am also thinking of buying the synthetic version blued finish. Do you know any thing about after marked magazines for it? Does it existe or do i have to make my own? Here is a pic of the rifle i am considering buying.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES
Old October 12, 2008, 09:57 AM   #4
BusGunner007

What, if any, restrictions do you have as far as the rifle type goes?

You mentioned getting a high-capacity magazine for the Browning; I don't think that is possible.

You mentioned $1600.00 as being 'cheap'......for that kind of money, you could buy a really nice AR10; AR15; FAL; etc.
Remington makes a new 'R25' based on the DPMS rifle if you want to hunt with it.
Comes in .243; 7mm-08 & .308.

I'd look into a .308 battle rifle in your situation.
Good Luck!
Old October 12, 2008, 10:28 AM   #5
Fremmer

The BAR is a nice gun. You should get the wood stock, which looks much better than the sythetic stock. That looks like a great choice!

Edited to add: I've never seen aftermarket mags (high or regular capacity) for a BAR, but then I've never looked for them. I've always just considered the BAR to be a really nice hunting rifle. I would predict that Browning mags are on the expensive side.
Old October 12, 2008, 11:55 AM   #6
BrunoNorway

I realy want somthing nice in 30-06 with "high" cap mags, im thinking 10-15+ rounds. Maybe ill get a gunsmith to do it or somthing.

Quote:
What, if any, restrictions do you have as far as the rifle type goes?
Semi autos are in theory banned but the goverment has given a general exeption for a list of some hunting rifles and for some civilian ar15, AUGs and Galil type rifles that are illegal to hunt with.

Legal semi auto hunting rifles:

Winchester M/100
Browning BAR (Not Browning BAR M/1918)
Remington Modell four
Remington modell 7400
Remington 742 Woodmaster
Ruger mini 14
Ruger mini 30
Heckler & Koch modell 2000
Marlin modell 45
Marlin modell 9 camp carabine
Valmet Petra
Valmet Hunter
Voere modell 2185
Vepr Super
Vepr Pioneer
Vepr Hunter
Benelli Argo

Legal Competision semi autos:

Colt AR-15 H-bar/Sporter Made after 1986
SIG SG 550 SP
Steyr AUG Civillian model
Valmet M76/78A2
Galil AR
HK-94
Bushmaster mod. XM15 - V-Match Rifle 20
Olympic Arms AR-15 H-bar
Heckler & Koch modell SL 8
DPMS Panther Bull 24 Spesial
Oberland Arms (OA) 15
Izhmash Saiga sport 520
Izhmash Saiga sport 555

Quote:
You mentioned $1600.00 as being 'cheap'......for that kind of money, you could buy a really nice AR10; AR15; FAL; etc.
So you have never been to Norway i guess.

DPMS LR-308....$2200
AR-10..............$3000
AR-15..............$1700 Standard DPMS or Bushmaster
FAL.................No go.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES
Old October 12, 2008, 09:31 PM   #7
cat9x

BrunoNorway,

that's a fine looking BAR! I've never seen one w/ that european (what we would call) rear sight. The BAR is the cadillac of semi auto hunting rifles and you scored big! Congrats. Let us know how it shoots I'm sure it won't dissapoint if you do your part.

You gonna mount a scope on it? Mine carries a Zeiss conquest 3x9x40mm.

Seeing as the magazine is attached to the hinged floorplate I dont think you'll be able to get a higher capacity magazine without a different floorplate. I bought one extra factory magazine for my MK I BAR back when they were cheap for $12. MK I and MK II's do not interchange and your magazine might be different as it's the newer model.

I dont know about the 30-06 but my rifle and my father's (.308 & .270) both favor Barnes Triple Shock X bullets in the 150gr size...loaded by federal.
Old October 12, 2008, 10:24 PM   #8
BusGunner007

Quote:
So you have never been to Norway i guess.
Actually, I have been to Norway. In 1973...
I played in a community band here in Seattle. The Ballard Youth Band.
We traveled to Norway for two weeks.
Played at the Royal Palace and the Opera House in Oslo.

Wasn't into guns yet, though!
Old October 13, 2008, 08:54 AM   #9
BrunoNorway

cat9x: sorry if i have ledd you to belive that i got the BAR. I need to get my approved application back from the National Police Directorate Before i can get the rifle. I guess it will take from 1-6 days more before i get it back.
Then i can send the aproved application forme to the dealer and then he will send me the BAR.
We are getting new gun laws here so it is kinda a mess right now. I am not sure if it is the old or the new laws that aplies now so i sent some aplications to "test" the new laws. Both the new and the old laws have their own advatedes so.

The BAR raely is the Cadillac of the semi auto hunting rifles. I think Browning had to modernise ther BAR design after the Benelli "Ferarri" Argo came on the marked and this is healthy competision for them both. In my eyes though, ther is only one king.

I am have been thinking of mounting a zeiss conquest 3-9x40 on it as well. I am also considering Leupold VX series 3-9x40. We will see.

BusGunner007: That is so nice. Too bad you didnt get to see the Norwegian nature. Or did you? I mean Oslo is a nice city but ther is nothing like the Norwegian fjords, forests and mountains.

Most things are expensive in Norway and the new BAR range from $1800-$2400. so when i found one NEW for $1600, i realy got exited.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES
Old October 13, 2008, 09:37 PM   #10
BusGunner007

I don't want to go too far off-topic and get in trouble...but...
We had 110 people fly over the North Pole via SAS airlines to Bergen. We boarded a small ship named the Brand VII and went south and around the back side up to Oslo, then bussed back across Norway, staying at a famous ski lodge overnight. Then, back to Bergen and Seattle. Awesome trip!
We stayed two nights in Stavanger, the band director's hometown, during Syttende Mai, the Norwegian Independence Day.
I'll IM you with more details...

Here's a very old and poor pic of my Browning BAR MkII Safari BOSS 7mm Rem.Mag.

7mm Rem.Mag.
Leupold 4.5-14x40/ 6" sunshade/ StoneyPoint target turrets.
Millet Angle-Loc base/'engraved' rings.
B-SQUARE Roto-Tilt Match bipod.
Browning X-cellerator sling.
Browning hearing protection.

It's going back into its nice wood stock soon, so it more goes in line with the Browning A5 Magnum Twelve I bought a couple of years ago. This pic isn't my gun, but it looks like it.

Someday, a Browning pistol is on the way...
Old October 14, 2008, 09:21 AM   #11
BrunoNorway

Man that sounds like a realy nice trip.
That BAR of yours is looks realy good too.

I will get back too you when my aplication gets back (aproved).

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES
Old October 14, 2008, 09:25 AM   #12
trooper509

I bought a new short-trac in .308 this spring for deer hunting this fall. I have about 40-50 rounds through it so
far. Works great! I've been working up some handloads for it. Last time out with it I shot a 3/4" 3 shot group. So they will shoot good with the right ammo. The short and long
tracs use the same basic action as the older design (which
has proved very reliable as long as you keep it clean) only in a lighter more modern looking package.
As far as hi-cap mags go I don't know. I was on the Browning International web site a while back and saw
a conversian kit to make it a detachable box mag. instead of the hinged type. I don't think this is available in my country (USA) but might be available in yours. It's just a standard capacity mag. but you might be able to take some other high cap. mag. of the right size and join it to the Browning mag. to make it hold more. Just a thought.
Hope your application goes through.
Good Luck!
Old October 14, 2008, 09:31 AM   #13
cat9x

BrunoNorway,

Just a thought here. The new FN (fabrique nationale) FNAR rifle is a beefed up BAR. The FNAR has a modified magazine housing that allows the use of AR-10 magazines. I dont know if they would be compatible with your Longtrac but it's worth looking into. You could always email FN. Good luck.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...fnar-762x51mm/

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/fi...G022&cid=FNC01
Old October 14, 2008, 02:50 PM   #14
BrunoNorway

@trooper509: Good to hear it works fine. As it is a very old consept, they have had a lot of time worke out its flaws. About that conversian kit for the BAR, do you have a link to that page. If i get a detachable box mag kit for it, dont you think a gunsmith would be able to manufacture a 10-15 round mag for it? I dont want the mag to be too long. i dont want it to stick further down then the pistol-grip. I think it would look kinda strange as it is a hunting rifle and not a battle rifle with a petruding pistol-grip, witch would look bether even with more rounds. By the way, does the "hunting BAR" and the "battle BAR" have the same actions?

@cat9x: I dont know but the 30-06 is 0.54 inches longer than the
308. I dont know if the AR10 mags and the magazine housing have that genorous fit. If it would fit, i think it would be very tight for the 30-06 cousing magazine jam. I am not a expert here and i dont know if this is right but it makes sence in my head.
By the way, that FNAR is one ugly duck. It looks like a cross between a AR15 and a BAR. It probertly works well though as it is BAR-action. Do you think the FNAR stock would fit the BAR?

Thanks for all good luck wishes.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES
Old October 14, 2008, 03:58 PM   #15
cat9x

well I only mentioned it thinking that the FN FNAR might be available in calibers other than .308. It is a bit ugly but the magazine change is welcome. Post pics when/if you get your rifle!

from a gunbroker auction...

Old October 15, 2008, 09:06 AM   #16
BrunoNorway

I was just assuming the FNAR was only availeble in 308. sorry

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES
Old October 15, 2008, 09:17 AM   #17
cat9x

and you could be right. Right now it's only in .308.
Old October 15, 2008, 12:34 PM   #18
BrunoNorway

So If they plan to make it in other calibers like, say, the 30-06 the magazine housing might fit the BAR becouse their are the "same". Now i am following.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES