The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 28, 2007, 07:13 PM   #1
Crosshair

Need help: Value of Ruger 32 H&R Mag.

There is a 6.5" Ruger Super Single-Six in 32 H&R Magnum (New model of course) at a local store. The only wear of the bluing is on the cylinder notches. Then there is the orange nail polish on the sights, that will be easy to remove.

However I am having difficulty in determining the value of this gun. They want $419 for it and I am having a hard time finding out if this is a good price or not. All the books I look at are all over the map in terms of value.

Is this a good deal or should I let it sit? I reload so ammo will not be a problem.
Old October 28, 2007, 07:32 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is no steal, but it is not a high price, either. But that is not a popular gun and if you have cash money, I think you might be able to get them down quite a bit (offer $350, try to settle for $375). That gun will be around a while as no one wants .32 Magnum because the ammo costs so much and the power (in spite of a lot of hype) is fairly low. So you might be the only prospect for a sale. If your offer is not accepted, and if you aren't hyper, you might let the thing sit for a month or so until the dealer gets antsy about it and is willing to dicker. I don't think you will lose out, but that is a possibility.

Jim
Old October 28, 2007, 10:49 PM   #3
CraigC

These guns were not produced for very long and were subsequently discontinued. They are fairly popular with collectors and the price reflects that. If it's in good shape that's a fair price. I've seen shooter-grade guns go for $600. The .32H&R is a great small game and varmint cartridge that nicely bridges the gap between the .22Mag and .357Mag. Much flatter shooting than the .38Spl. It's also a wonderfully destructive plinker but requires handloading to get the most out of it.
Old October 29, 2007, 08:18 AM   #4
Stainz

A common mail order wholesaler used by many smaller shops, Davidson's, dumped the short BH gripped or BHG mini-Vaquero's in .32M, the SSMs, for ~$270 + s/h + ffl xfr. I bought a SS BHG SSM that way. In Jan of this year, I lucked into a LNIB 4" .32M SP101 for $265 + s/t. Both pale in comparison to the SSS .32M - or the .32M Bisley - they both have fully adjustable sights. The cheesy SP101 has windage-only - and the SSM is a fixed sight. Mine hit close enough in elevation (SP .5" low, SSM ~.75" low) at 12-15yd for some fun plinking. Fully adjustable means a better plinker/bullseye, accuracy-wise.

You have to reload... and check those cylinder exit bores - like the earlier .45 Colt BH, Vaqueros, etc, they are notoriously small. I load a fun round - a .313" .32-20-type 115gr LRNFP over 2.5 gr Titegroup in .32 H&RM Starline brass that runs 800-840 fps. Not a killer, but a decent plinker - that drops most steel plates.

Yeah, I'd offer $400 OTD - and get some acetone or high-VOC lacquer thinner ready for that fn polish. If you don't reload, as others have said, it will be a bit expensive to feed. I chrono-ed the 100gr JHP (Hornady XTP?) .32 H&RM loads by Georgia Arms at 1,186 fps - that's 311 ft-lb. They are hot - and a bit nasty, too - but a great values - plus, you get some new Starline brass.

Stainz
Old October 29, 2007, 05:25 PM   #5
Crosshair

I picked it up. Got a great price.

You are all going to hate me when you hear how much I paid for it. The sticker price was $419.99. The gun was at the Cabela's store across the Red River in Minnesota (Important). Just this morning I realized several facts.

1. No sales tax. Because I am a North Dakota resident and the Cabela's is in MN, the gun has to be shipped 1 mile away to the FFL on the ND side of the river. Because of this I don't have to pay MN sales tax. Only a $10 shipping fee and a $10 transfer fee at the ND FFL.

2. I realize I had a coupon from Cabela's since I have the Cabela's Visa. The one where if you spend $100 you get $30 off, $200, you get $45, etc. Well for a $400 purchase I get $85 off.

So I go in and offer $410 for the gun to make up for the $10 shipping fee. That is reasonable to them and I get to use the coupon as well. So I got the gun for $335, plus the $10 I will pay when I pick it up at the ND FFL. *Happy Dance*

I really got a deal on this one. All I have to do it get some dies and brass to load it up. I doubt Cabela's makes ANY money off of me, but they keep sending me the coupons and discounts.
Old October 29, 2007, 05:42 PM   #6
Atticus Thraxx

Sweet deal, you won't be disappointed. Probably the most fun plinker I have. If I could just find decent grips.

Looking for K98 bolt #5954 and K98 bolt #31942 for trade. DM me if you have a match. Prizes will be awarded!
Old October 29, 2007, 06:34 PM   #7
CraigC

Great! You'll enjoy that little sixgun.
Old October 30, 2007, 11:19 PM   #8
Jim March

With that length barrel you can get up a decent head of steam . Wanna go nuts? Load the 60gr Gold Dot slugs meant for 32ACP to "warp speed" - out of that tube, betcha you can see the north side of 1,500fps without problems .

And THAT would be a bizarre yet effective self defense round...

I believe there's an 85gr XTP slug available as a reloading component too.
Old October 31, 2007, 12:57 AM   #9
gak

Actually quite popular

Contrary to one person's post in particular, the long-discontinued adjustable- sighted Single Six .32s are in quite demand - even if it is somewhat of a niche...particularly in the longer 6.5" barrel...not many made of. The ones I've seen, once they're found out, go fast if priced anywhere near "reasonably." Some NIB or LNIB have actually commanded quite high prices. Also contrary to that post(s) it is not hype that it is quite the little powerhouse even in (the better) factory loads. A great round - and guns that chamber it, fixed sight or adjustable - that such posts have not made any easier to find ammo or at decent prices. Even so, such outfits as www.georgia-arms.com have newly manufactured ammo that's quite reasonable, especially given their nice loads. That price is a "relative steal," go for it. I think it should be able to accept an OM (original or "old" model, i.e., large frame'd) Vaquero (XR-3 Red) steel grip frame (and related aftermarket grips) if you wanted....they should be the same size? All the adjustable sighted Single Sixes - like the Blackhawks - were aluminum grip frame.
Old October 31, 2007, 01:10 AM   #10
CraigC

Quote:
Wanna go nuts? Load the 60gr Gold Dot slugs meant for 32ACP to "warp speed" - out of that tube, betcha you can see the north side of 1,500fps without problems .
I actually got a box or two of those to try out of my Ruger .32's and Uberti .32-20 SAA. I've also got a Corbin cannelure tool so I can put a nice roll crimp on them as well. Just haven't gotten around to it. Thought I'd try them at about Warp 5 out of my Browning M53 .32-20 too. Probably vaporize on contact with the atmosphere.
Old October 31, 2007, 01:38 AM   #11
tplumeri

congrats on the new gun!
awhile back i bought a vaquero 32-20/32mag convertible. knew the 32mag was a pricey round but thought the 32-20 w/b cheaper. WRONG!. winchester super x 100gr $35 for 50!
i think i need to learn how to reload.
Old October 31, 2007, 06:51 AM   #12
GUNKWAZY

I'm not trying to hi-jack the post.
But seeing Crosshair got his gun (Congrats by the way), the shop I work at on occasion, just got in a pair of Ruger .32 H&R Magnum revolvers and they put them on the net yesterday.
Just because I'm an inside source, I can let this info slip.
The reserve on these is only $299 each.
They are polished Stainless and like brand new, I got to fondle them yesterday. These are beauties.
Here's the links if anyone is interested.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=84019607

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=84019941

Good luck,
Jeff (GUNKWAZY)
Old October 31, 2007, 08:46 AM   #13
Stainz

Jeff,

Those are SSM's - sort of mini-Vaquero's. I have the black Micarta Bird's Head Grip version. I would save my money for an adjustable-sighted version, like the SSS Crosshair just bought. You bet he got a deal!

Fixed sight Rugers are often off by windage, requiring a twist in one direction or the other of the barrel. Elevation off? If low, you can file the sight - just don't change ammo - or distance! Yeah, the Super Single Six .32 is desireable - but way-overpriced these days. I saw a beater for $450 last year at a local show - a fair Bisely for $600! Fun shooters, however.

I shot that BHG SSM using 'Kentucky windage' - and elevation - for quite some time before I got the SP101 - it is still fun, if you remember the 'drop'.

Stainz

PS Cabela's shipped me 105 lb of bullets -sale priced less than anyone else had them - in four boxes - for $13.95! Great folks!
Old October 31, 2007, 12:28 PM   #14
Crosshair

Yea, mine has adjustable sights.

As for ammo, I have a bit of a problem. It seems that the cheapest 32 caliber bullets I can get are Laser Cast 115 grain bullets for the 32-20. They are $47 + tax per 1,000 at the local Cabela's. The next cheapest ones are from the Laser Cast website, the 78 grain bullets are $71.50 per thousand. There is also the Berry's 90 grain slug that costs about $67 per 1,000. The Berry's Wadcutters are an option too.

There is no data for 115 grain bullets, but I feel comfortable that I can develop a load without blowing my hand off using reduced 100 grain loads as a starting point.

As for the "Warp Speed" 60 grain bullets. I thought about that too and started giggling uncontrollably. That would be so cool to do. I have to try that, but it will get expensive compared to the cheaper 32-20 bullets.

If anyone knows where I can get cheaper 32 caliber bullets I would be very thankful. Casting my own is not an option right now.
Old October 31, 2007, 03:30 PM   #15
Stainz

I bought my last 1k of OT LC .313" 115gr LRNFP bullets along with a few other bullets - totalled 105 lb - and they charged $13.95 s/h. Those .32-20 bullets work quite well over 2.5gr Titegroup in Starline .32 H&RM brass with Win/Fed SP primers. They hit 840-850 fps from my 4" SP101/4.6" SSM. A hint of flattening on the Fed primers, but none on the Win - which worked 100% in DA from the softest Wolff spring-sprung SP101. They hit within a half inch low vertically with the SP101, and a bit more - maybe .75" low - and .5" left - with the SSM - at 15yd. They drop the usual falling steel plates with ease - most of the time (Hit 'em midpoint or higher!). No recoil. Buy some reasonably priced Georgia Arms 100gr JHP (XTP's?) .32 H&RM - I got 1,186 fps - 311 ft-lb - with them from my SSM. A bit nasty - but you gain some more Starline brass - a good thing!

I put a .32M Bisely hammer on mine - just grind away the un-needed area below the hammer. The hammer is raw carbon steel - with a blued top of the hammer - looks neat, so I didn't remove the blueing. A little oil preserves the metal, too. The SP101 has a Hogue grip.

Stainz
Old October 1, 2015, 07:16 PM   #16
Smoke Jensen

.32 H&R mag load.

Give a 90gr. lead TC on top of 4gr. of Unique. 3/4" line all split by half. One ragged hole at 50' from my NM Single Six. Devastating on chucks, foxes and coyotes.
Old October 1, 2015, 08:42 PM   #17
gyvel

You can probably shoot .32 ACP in it, too.
SIFE
Old October 2, 2015, 06:22 AM   #18
Real Gun

Hard to feel the love from an 8 year old zombie thread, but I am in the 32 H&R club too.
Old October 2, 2015, 11:30 AM   #19
T. O'Heir

Ya'll notice the OP date?
And no you can't shoot an ACP.
Old October 2, 2015, 11:56 AM   #20
James K
Member In Memoriam

.32 ACP can be fired in almost any revolver chambered for .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Magnum or .327 Federal. It should not be fired in old .32 S&W guns, though, because the pressure is about 6000 psi higher than those guns were made for.

Jim
Old October 2, 2015, 05:16 PM   #21
TfflHndn

I've shot .32acp from a Single Seven, and they work, but they are not as accurate since they are a tad smaller diameter. Also, for anyone looking for great grips for the Rugers, check out Altamont. They have some oversize grips with finger grooves that work and feel great, and at a great price.
Old October 2, 2015, 11:16 PM   #22
gyvel

Quote:
And no you can't shoot an ACP.
As was pointed out after my post, obviously you can. And I have done it as well.
SIFE
Old October 2, 2015, 11:22 PM   #23
9x18_Walther

Unlike other ACP cartridges, the .32 ACP is semi-rimmed, so it will work fine as others have described.

You might find that the ejector star might not reliably grab the spent cartridge since the rim is not as large as a normal revolver cartridge, but it is indeed safe to fire.
Old October 2, 2015, 11:44 PM   #24
tallball

FWIW - I have had five 32 magnum revolvers. Two shoot 32acp just fine. Two won't shoot 32acp. The other one would work some of the time.
Old October 3, 2015, 08:10 AM   #25
Real Gun

Quote:
I've shot .32acp from a Single Seven, and they work, but they are not as accurate since they are a tad smaller diameter.
Yet convertibles with different bullet diameters are all the rage, I guess oblivious to accuracy concerns. However, I think my 45 convertible is sending a big bullet into a tight bore, while the 32 ACP is a small bullet going into a larger bore.