The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 28, 2012, 12:58 PM   #51
Patriot86

A lot of us though who live in or near major urban areas have a big issue. The media under the direction of political forces/the police tend to under report, mis-report or not report at all on many crimes. Obviously if a #1 male kills a wealthy family with a hacksaw it gets coverage but your average B&E's; Home invasions etc do not get all that much media play so it is difficult at times to know just how common something is and if it is happening in your area.
Old September 28, 2012, 01:03 PM   #52
sigcurious

Chicago incident reporting.
Old October 1, 2012, 02:46 PM   #53
Stevie-Ray

Some people just have their heads in the clouds. I have a family member like that. Doesn't own guns, doesn't expect any mischief at all in his area no matter how much I preach to him. My Detroit mindset will not change when I move. In fact there are plans in the works for a video surveillance system in the new house-something I don't even have here.
Old October 16, 2012, 11:22 AM   #54
Lucky Lady

I have converted some friends and relatives to my side. They belived that it couldn not happen here, or stuff like that doesnt hapen here....and the why do you need to carry......till recent news happenings involving murders, drugs, robberies. now people see the light.
Old October 19, 2012, 03:25 PM   #55
publius

It's not just the criminals from the bad part of town coming into your neighborhood you have to worry about. Your neighbor down the street who make a couple of million a year might have a kid messed up on coke or meth. He is dangerous too. You never know where it wil happen.
Old October 27, 2012, 05:40 PM   #56
orionengnr

For some reason, that name sounded familiar...so I did a quick Google search.
Here is what 30 sec turned up...
http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pb...plate=printart

http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pb...plate=printart

http://mountaintimes.info/news/impor...at-knifepoint/

Looks like this guy is no stranger to our Judicial system.

Not sure if NH has a Three Strikes law, but if they do, maybe this will be the last we hear from him for a while...hoping so, anyway.
Old October 27, 2012, 06:27 PM   #57
Comanche

Seems that criminals around tend to go after the exact type of neighborhoods that are supposed to be safe, affluent where people have a sense of security.

Always new stories popping up about home invasions in the least expected neighborhoods.

I live in a 40 year old ranch style home in a very blue collar neighborhood with relatively low crime although this summer we had several Hispanic homes robbed by Hispanic thieves.
It seemed they were targeting Hispanics that had at least one illegal living there ...probably in hopes they would not report the thefts.

In one of the homes a painfully beautiful 21 year old female opened the basement door when she heard someone tampering with the lock,in her downstairs apartment.
When she asked the two Hispanic males what they wanted they told her they must have had the wrong home and left in a hurry.
She is an illegal and did not report it but told my neighbor who told me.
She was the only witness to the crime so I contacted my meighborhood watch officer and asked if they would leave her alone if she cooperated with them as she was the only eyewitness to these two criminals.
They assured me that they would not even question her legal status as getting these guys off the street was their only concern.

Thank God the bad guys did not rape,or kill her.

There were three of these incidents in one week alone on my street and on an adjacent street.

The cops went door to door and did not seem too thrilled at the " We don't call 911" sign made out of wooden block letters and a wooden revolver on my front door.
They told me " You know you still need to call 911 right?"

I said " If someone breaks into this home I will call 911, but only to clean up the mess."

They both actually smirked while trying to act serious.....LOL.

Last edited by Comanche; October 27, 2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old October 27, 2012, 07:32 PM   #58
Glenn E. Meyer

If you do some research on this subforum, you might see that such a sign can bite you on the rear end if you go to court on an ambiguous shooting. You might think it is a 'good' shoot but the DA might not.

Then the sign and the officers' testifying about what you said - won't be funny.

Reconsider.
Old October 27, 2012, 10:15 PM   #59
shortwave

Quote:
The cops went door to door and did not seem too thrilled at the " We don't call 911" sign made out of wooden block letters and a wooden revolver on my front door.
Quote:
If you do some research on this subforum, you might see that such a sign can bite you on the rear end if you go to court on an ambiguous shooting. You might think it is a 'good' shoot but the DA might not.

Then the sign and the officers' testifying about what you said - won't be funny.

Reconsider.
Good advice.

Too, the wooden revolver on your front door does nothing but increase your chances of getting burglarized as it advertises that most likely there are guns in the house.
Old October 28, 2012, 08:16 AM   #60
kgpcr

I have a .45 double stack and an AR-15 and a few shot guns around the house. I dont worry about being invaded. If it happens then they will find an 50 yrs old Marine that is well armed and more than ready to deal with the problem at hand. I am not one for living paranoid.
Smith M&P 40