The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 24, 2012, 05:54 PM   #1
dahermit

Continuing saga of double-action fast draw

In my continuing attempts at mastering fast draw, I have made several holsters with various features (cant, etc.). Then I got Bill Jordan's book and decided to take a stab at replicating his "Border Patrol" style, complete with the steel insert, but inasmuch as I will never ride with it in a car, made it with a straight up and down orientation (no forward cant). I also choose to forgo my usual basket-weave and went with no decoration what-so-ever, keeping with Jordan's no-nonsense holster style.
I have not had the chance to try it out yet, having just finished it tonight. But I will try it out soon.
I have to say that it was the hardest holster I have ever made with the fitting of the steel insert, and all the required hand stitching...hands are quite sore and the leather got rather bruised. But the distressed look of the polished leather makes it look used instead of brand-new.
The only thing it does not have ala Jordan, is a muzzel plug in the end. If I deceid I need one at a later date, I have the holes there for stitching one in.

Old September 24, 2012, 06:02 PM   #2
Bob Wright

It looks as if you have a very good holster there, and as you say, it has character with that used look.

As for muzzle plugs, or end plugs, I was never too fond of them for sporting use as they seem to collect pine needles, trash and stuff that an open end would let fall through.

Bob Wright
Old September 24, 2012, 06:19 PM   #3
dahermit

Quote:
It looks as if you have a very good holster there, and as you say, it has character with that used look.

As for muzzle plugs, or end plugs, I was never too fond of them for sporting use as they seem to collect pine needles, trash and stuff that an open end would let fall through.
I have never be too enamored with plugs, usually just round the holster off instead.

However, I imagine one good reason would be that it would help maintain the roundish shape of the holster. Also, Jordan mentioned that it also acted as a stop for the revolver, insuring against sticking in the holster. But like I said, if I get to the point where I think that it is essential, I can add one without too much trouble.
Old September 24, 2012, 09:43 PM   #4
JC57

Those are some nice looking holsters. Back in my youth in law enforcement, one of the standard holsters was what we variously called the "drop", Jordan, or Border Patrol holster, usually from Safariland or Bianchi in those days, when revolvers were king and so were leather holsters.

All of the ones I owned had an open muzzle.
Old September 25, 2012, 09:02 AM   #5
rclark

Another book you should have is Ed McGivern's Fast and Fancy Shooting Lot of good info here.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old September 25, 2012, 11:03 AM   #6
aarondhgraham

Hello dahermit,,,

Have you tied a Tom Threepersons style holster?

It has a slight forward cant and was popular pre WW-II.

Here is a pic of one I made for a S&W Model 15/67,,,
I would be happy to send you the pattern for it.

I made this one as a traditional range holster,,,
Hence the non fast-draw strap.

You could easily modify the strap or eliminate it entirely.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)