The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 27, 2016, 08:35 PM   #1
Josh_Putman

Charter 2000 Field King .308

Search won't work.

I am getting a Charter 2000 Field King in .308.

In researching this rifle, I have read that it is a copy of a Howa 1500. Also, Mossberg bought the design for its rifles.

What I'm wondering is if any Mossberg laminated wood stocks would fit the Charter.

I don't like the synthetic one that's on it, and want to change it. I'm hoping someone on here has done this before.

Thanks in advance.

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!
Old July 28, 2016, 10:40 AM   #2
jmr40

I'm pretty sure it is not a copy of the Howa.

I think this design goes back to the Raptor line of rifles that were introduced 20-30 years ago as a bare bones cheap rifle. The Raptor company failed and Charter Arms bought the rights to make the rifles and failed as well. Both of these were pretty crude and reviews are not good. Not sure I'd invest any money into one.

More recently Mossberg acquired the rights to make them and I'd think the stocks might just work. The Howa is a different design. They are still a bare bones budget rifle, but Mossberg has refined the design and they are having some commercial success. How much Mossberg has tweaked the design would determine how likely the stocks are to interchange.