The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 22, 2013, 12:53 PM   #1
Joe_Pike

Armslist. What's Your Experience.

I have used Armslist with great success over the last year since I have decided to thin the collection. Every transaction has been extremely pleasant with the buyers being very courteous. I have required that the buyers have a CCW and sign a bill of sale. No complaints. In fact, a few of them said they would not have bought from me otherwise.

This time has been completely different. I have been trying to sell a Norinco SKS in really good shape, with the same requirements as in the past. Instead of pleasant contacts, I have been sent some vicious emails and called every name in the book because of my two requirements. Which leads me to believe that these people are not the type of low lives I want to sell to anyway, hence the two requirements to weed them out. I did not stoop to their level and email them back, as much as I wanted to. I took the high road and deleted their emails and moved on.

In a perfect world, I wouldn't care who bought my gun. But, since my name is in the chain of custody I want to know the person that I sold it to. I hate that I feel that I need to do that, but I do it anyway.

So, have your experiences been good or bad?
Old April 22, 2013, 01:00 PM   #2
zTimbo

Armslist. What's Your Experience.

Armslist is full of a bunch of scammers and price gougers.

With that said I have bought one gun from a guy I found on armslist. No complaints.

I just get tired of looking through all the overpriced bull crap

Last edited by Evan Thomas; April 22, 2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: language.
Old April 22, 2013, 01:32 PM   #3
RUN2424

Here in okc i have had good luck,bought 2,sold one
traded for 2. But this last time,was all set up to buy a s w model 36.
Never heard from the guy all day. And when i did said he sold it.
Old April 22, 2013, 01:52 PM   #4
weblance

I would rather buy from a gunshop, because I know its a safe transaction. I have recently bought 2 guns from Armslist, a S&W 422 and a Sig Trailside. I wouldnt have found these 2 any other way,(Gunbroker doesnt like my registration info), so I am happy with Armslist. Both transactions have been pleasant. It does make me a little nervous though, and I doubt I will buy many guns this way.
Old April 22, 2013, 01:55 PM   #5
BrassAndLead

So far good. 10 successful transactions in the past month.

My rules are as follows:

1) Meet during daylight in high traffic public location
2) Use a fake email that doesn't have my name tied to it
3) Meet locally, cash only and face to face only
4) I will only give out my # if the other party does as well and only after a few emails back and forth
5) When I leave, I don't take a direct route home

Simple precautions go a long way. I've actually met some really cool people and some that want to trade ammo or go to the range on a regular basis.
Old April 22, 2013, 02:12 PM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Pike
. . . . I have required that the buyers have a CCW and sign a bill of sale. . . . .

I have been trying to sell a Norinco SKS in really good shape, with the same requirements as in the past. Instead of pleasant contacts, I have been sent some vicious emails and called every name in the book because of my two requirements. Which leads me to believe that these people are not the type of low lives I want to sell to anyway, hence the two requirements to weed them out. I did not stoop to their level and email them back, as much as I wanted to. I took the high road and deleted their emails and moved on.
This would have sent up red flags for me, too, so I have to say that I think you made the right move by not selling to them.

It's one thing for a non-prohibited buyer without a CCW to email you and say, "I'd really like to buy that rifle, but I don't have my CCW, is there any other way to do this?" It's quite another for a potential buyer to turn ugly over your requirements.
Old April 22, 2013, 03:15 PM   #7
gaseousclay

Quote:
My rules are as follows:

1) Meet during daylight in high traffic public location
2) Use a fake email that doesn't have my name tied to it
3) Meet locally, cash only and face to face only
4) I will only give out my # if the other party does as well and only after a few emails back and forth
5) When I leave, I don't take a direct route home

Simple precautions go a long way. I've actually met some really cool people and some that want to trade ammo or go to the range on a regular basis.
seems like a lot of precautions to take for a gun transaction. it's instances like this that I think a NICS background check would be useful for a private transaction. this way you have that person's name on record. i'd still take the extra precautions regardless but if the guy turned out to be a nut job the feds would have his personal info
Old April 22, 2013, 03:31 PM   #8
2ndsojourn

I used Armslist once. A local guy had a few hundred rounds of 8mm Mauser ammo to sell and I happened to have a whole ammo can of 7.62 mil surp (that a neighbor buddy gave me because he was moving & didn't have a rifle for it). So I offered up a trade and we swapped 100 rounds each at a local dive bar parking lot. I'm happy and he's happy. In the end, actually made a rather nice acquaintance.
Old April 22, 2013, 04:02 PM   #9
CWKahrFan

I've found that I can weed out the problematic people through exchanging a couple of Emails... If they can put a few decent sentences together and are forthcoming with information, that tells a lot. If they feel at all "iffy", I pass.

I've found that good clear pictures are VERY important so you're both on the same page way before an actual meeting takes place.

Sometimes wading through a bunch of "deadbeat" Emails and people who change their minds can be a pain. But being totally clear and precise and decriptive as possible in all communications and, finally, talking over the phone and setting up firm meetings including another confirming call as I hit the road... I haven't had any problems or even any people who changed their minds at the meeting.

As in any other endeavor, if I lay good groundwork, things usually go smooth.
Old April 22, 2013, 04:13 PM   #10
Skans

I used to look at Armslist when searching for a gun. The problem is they never have anything I'm looking for. So, I just don't ever use Armslist. Gunbroker works great for me. I used to use Guns America before Gunbroker, but that went by the wayside a long time ago. Gunbroker is it for me these days.
Old April 22, 2013, 04:28 PM   #11
shouldazagged

I'm not in a position to buy guns--can no longer work, and live on Social Security. But I'd have to be awfully cautious about an online transaction. Same if I were, God forbid, forced to sell a weapon. I'd rather work through one of two trusted gun stores where I've done business for years.

Maybe I'm overcautious, but I've encountered a few very slick operators on Craigslist, for example, who came across well but turned out to be totally full of excrement.
Old April 22, 2013, 04:56 PM   #12
Willie Sutton

I use it like Craigslist was designed to be used: To facilitate face to face interactions within driving distance. I've used it with 100% success here locally to network with other gun owners, have never had a bad experience, have bought, sold, and traded, and made friends that I now socialize and shoot with. Within that paradigm it's been a good experience. I'm headed out right now in fact to pick up an AR-15 bolt carrier that I need. Found it yesterday, locally, and meeting 500 yards from the house for a face to face sale. What could be better? The locals here all require CCW`as ID, and it's become a bit of a club to buy and sell using it as the advertising venue. It's a model of sucess if used with a general sense of humor, and a general sense of caution.

Willie

Last edited by Willie Sutton; April 22, 2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old April 22, 2013, 06:14 PM   #13
BrassAndLead

Quote:
seems like a lot of precautions to take for a gun transaction. it's instances like this that I think a NICS background check would be useful for a private transaction. this way you have that person's name on record. i'd still take the extra precautions regardless but if the guy turned out to be a nut job the feds would have his personal info
I don't think it's much of a hassle whatsoever and most of these steps are just common sense.

1) Meet during daylight in high traffic public location - this is obvious
2) Use a fake email that doesn't have my name tied to it - this is to keep people from knowing who you are in case they are phishing for info on who owns guns and ammo for a potential break in later to steal items of value; it's easy to set up a fake email
3) Meet locally, cash only and face to face only - why risk driving a long ways for someone that may not even show up? why risk paying for something that may never ship?
4) I will only give out my # if the other party does as well and only after a few emails back and forth - ties back to #2, only when there is some level of trust will I give out my #
5) When I leave, I don't take a direct route home - this is obvious as well as someone can portray themselves as friendly and a legit shooting enthusiast but who knows? why give them any information such as your home?

What would it take and cost for me to run an NICS background check as someone who is not an FFL? Is the cost worth it compared to taking the steps I take above? I've done well over 60 Craigslist deals for silver, gold and coins and never once had problems because of taking these precautions. Without taking these precautions, I might as well put an ad in the paper letting people know I have valuables at home lol.
Old April 22, 2013, 06:18 PM   #14
BrassAndLead

Quote:
m not in a position to buy guns--can no longer work, and live on Social Security. But I'd have to be awfully cautious about an online transaction. Same if I were, God forbid, forced to sell a weapon. I'd rather work through one of two trusted gun stores where I've done business for years.

Maybe I'm overcautious, but I've encountered a few very slick operators on Craigslist, for example, who came across well but turned out to be totally full of excrement.
Good post. You can never be too careful these days whether it's Craigslist or Armslist. Why take any risks if you don't have to?
Old April 23, 2013, 07:06 AM   #15
gaseousclay

Quote:
I don't think it's much of a hassle whatsoever and most of these steps are just common sense.

1) Meet during daylight in high traffic public location - this is obvious
2) Use a fake email that doesn't have my name tied to it - this is to keep people from knowing who you are in case they are phishing for info on who owns guns and ammo for a potential break in later to steal items of value; it's easy to set up a fake email
3) Meet locally, cash only and face to face only - why risk driving a long ways for someone that may not even show up? why risk paying for something that may never ship?
4) I will only give out my # if the other party does as well and only after a few emails back and forth - ties back to #2, only when there is some level of trust will I give out my #
5) When I leave, I don't take a direct route home - this is obvious as well as someone can portray themselves as friendly and a legit shooting enthusiast but who knows? why give them any information such as your home?

What would it take and cost for me to run an NICS background check as someone who is not an FFL? Is the cost worth it compared to taking the steps I take above?
the cost of running an NICS background check is a legitimate question and one that should be addressed. my point was that we sit here and talk about weeding out criminals but the way the Armslist do's & don'ts list is set-up makes it seems like everyone is a criminal. doing a gun transaction with a stranger is still taking a chance imo. yes, there are plenty of people who have had smooth, problem-free transactions but i'm sure there are a lot that have had problems because something was rotten in Denmark.
Old April 23, 2013, 09:01 AM   #16
deepcreek

I have been getting ammo from there for regular prices since the stores are empty.
All the guns lately people want unrealistic prices same with much of the ammo, I just ignore the delusional listings.

I live in Denver so we do have some shady elements lurking around, i just stay away from bad areas and people I get a bad feeling about. Meet in a public place that is in a decent part of town in daylight.
Old April 23, 2013, 09:10 AM   #17
allaroundhunter

Re: Armslist. What's Your Experience.

I have bought from there once and it was a good experience. The used pictures taken from Glock's website I believe so I was a little hesitant at first. I asked for his information and double checked and sure enough he was an FFL so I went ahead and paid to have my gun shipped to me.
Old April 23, 2013, 10:38 AM   #18
doofus47

op:
Quote:
This time has been completely different. I have been trying to sell a Norinco SKS in really good shape, with the same requirements as in the past.
"It's cuz A-salt wepuns just brings out the bad in folks!!"

All kidding aside, I think that asking for a ccw is brilliant. Let the previous background check do your work for you. If people don't like the ground rules, they can fume all they want. Maybe the angry denied buyers are angry b/c they see themselves as trustworthy citizens who are beyond scrutiny, but.... who likes dealing with angry people?
Old April 23, 2013, 11:21 AM   #19
Closing The Gap

All of my experiences using it have been pleasant. I've met many new shooters recently via transactions through there(no im not an ammo gouger) . Unlike many of you I have had them come to my home. I'm unafraid. I open carry and always have my sidearm on me regardless of the situation. If I were to sell a firearm on there I would require a purchase permit per state law accompanied by a picture ID or a valid CPL if its for a hand gun. For long guns only the ID or CPL with a signed receipt. I don't sell my guns though. I only buy them probably more than I should.
Old April 23, 2013, 12:27 PM   #20
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
the cost of running an NICS background check is a legitimate question and one that should be addressed.
Depending on your area, many Sheriff's departments will run the check for a nominal fee. Another option is to have the transfer done through a local gun shop, though that somewhat defeats the point.

In all my years in the shooting culture, I've only heard of two FTF sales going bad. In one case, the buyer had a prior for misdemeanor domestic violence but was unaware that was a disqualifying factor. The seller was briefly questioned, told the police he hadn't been made aware of that during the sale, and that was the end of it.

In the second place, the buyer used the gun to commit a felony, but since he'd appeared completely normal (and, up to that point had no criminal record), there were no consequences for the seller.

Honestly? Those are better odds than most FFL's, running NICS checks, have.
Old April 23, 2013, 01:55 PM   #21
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
I have required that the buyers have a CCW and sign a bill of sale. No complaints. In fact, a few of them said they would not have bought from me otherwise.

This time has been completely different. I have been trying to sell a Norinco SKS in really good shape, with the same requirements as in the past. Instead of pleasant contacts, I have been sent some vicious emails and called every name in the book because of my two requirements. Which leads me to believe that these people are not the type of low lives I want to sell to anyway, hence the two requirements to weed them out. I did not stoop to their level and email them back, as much as I wanted to. I took the high road and deleted their emails and moved on.

What it sounds like to me is a younger guy who is immature and likely not eligible for a CCL or someone trying to flip them tax free for profit. Either way use your best judgement since that is the smart thing to do.
Old April 23, 2013, 02:52 PM   #22
7n6

I have seen people with the same requirement of needing a ccw. Why would you need a ccw to buy a gun?

Quote:
In a perfect world, I wouldn't care who bought my gun. But, since my name is in the chain of custody I want to know the person that I sold it to. I hate that I feel that I need to do that, but I do it anyway.
So your one of the people that were in favor of UBC?

I have had good experiences with armslist I just bought a revolver not to long ago off there, everything went well for the most part.
Old April 23, 2013, 05:55 PM   #23
Willie Sutton

"I have seen people with the same requirement of needing a ccw. Why would you need a ccw to buy a gun?"

Speaking as a seller? Because as a responsible seller of a firearm I am going to do my best to ensure that you are not a felon or someone who is mentally ill. You need to reside in my state and not be someone I know to be a prohibited person. A CCW stands as identification of state residence (here anyhow, as we do not issue out of state CCW's), and also give me good confidence that you're not a criminal. It's called "due diligence". Yes, you could have become a felon or gone insane since you were issued a permit, but It's a good basic check. It also tells me that you have had (some) training, and have some interest in firearms other than that you have cash and want one.

Remember that you do not need a CCW`to buy in a private sale. Then again I don't need to sell to anyone I do not feel like selling to. I feel like seeing a CCW as evidence of good citizenhood. That's my preference and my privilege. Many others feel likewise. Think of it as self policing things to ensure that our rights are not taken away from us after they pass a law to "do something" after some kook shoots up a playground... with something that I sold him. It's an up-front investment in our rights. It basically weeds out the nuts up front: They don't even bother to reply to my ads.

Universal Background Checks is a nanny-state solution to force people to do what they ought to be doing anyhow: Doing your best to not sell firearms to people who are not eligable or safe to own them. I don't believe in UBC's. I believe in good people doing the right thing because it's... the right thing to do.

Willie

Last edited by Willie Sutton; April 23, 2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old April 23, 2013, 07:10 PM   #24
Joe_Pike

^^This in answer to this

Quote:
So your one of the people that were in favor of UBC?
Old April 24, 2013, 08:28 AM   #25
Aguila Blanca
Staff

There have been previous discussions on this forum and many others regarding bills of sale and recording of information in face-to-face transactions. There are many people who prefer NOT to give out their personal information and who don't want a paper trail. I fully understand that. Living in a state in which all handgun transfers have to go through an FFL and all handgun transfers get registered, I often wish very much that I could obtain a pistol or two "off paper." Not illegally, just without a paper trail.

If such were possible, I would have no problem showing a seller that I have a carry permit, to demonstrate that I am not a prohibited person. But ... if he then wanted to write down my personal information and have me sign a bill of sale, I would walk away. If I wanted a paper trail, I could just buy from an FFL.

However, I fully understand that some people want the paper trail, and I don't think there's any reason for a prospective buyer to get nasty. If you don't like the conditions, don't respond to the ad.