The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 21, 2012, 10:45 AM   #1
jager.30-06

Academy Dicks AR's

I noticed both academy and dick's pulled ar's off their rescpective websites.???? Did they pull these off the shelves as well? Think of the sales they are missing out on.
Old December 21, 2012, 10:53 AM   #2
Indi

I was at academy yesterday, I don't think its that they PULLED the ar's its more like they sold out of ar's.

P.s howdy from Rogers county, OK.
Old December 21, 2012, 07:54 PM   #3
JMP

A salesman at a Dick's in Denver told me they pulled all the ARs from all their stores and will no longer sell them, he thought, ever.
Old December 21, 2012, 08:15 PM   #4
454 Super Redhawk

they pulled them from the shelf here in greenville nc walmart sold out
Old December 21, 2012, 10:07 PM   #5
PatientWolf

The news reported that Dicks released a statement they will no longer sell ARs.
Old December 22, 2012, 06:19 AM   #6
Departed402

My closest Dick's didn't sell AR-15s before the tragedy. I doubt they do a lot of firearms business anyway, as there is a Cabela's is only a few miles down the road.
Old December 22, 2012, 07:23 AM   #7
Sport45

Amusing thread title...
Old December 22, 2012, 07:39 AM   #8
UtopiaTexasG19

It would not surprise me if some of the larger chains like Academy quit selling AR's. Our two closest Academys are right in the middle of huge subdivisions full of under 18 YO children and the stores sell a lot more sporting products to the general public than anything gun related. Whole baseball and soccer leagues plus huge school districts buy their sporting equipment and clothing through Academy so as a profit making endity where the dollar is the bottom line, they will cater to whomever brings in the most sales. Any boycott by millions of soccer mom's would devastate their bottom line so to them "image" is more important than anything else.
Old December 22, 2012, 08:13 AM   #9
monkybrainz

heres what i dont get, other then capacity.. my dads ar is no different then my 7400 30-06. a one pull/one shot carbine.
i hear the news saying "military style" this and that, but is it?
my 30-06 is way my dangerous then the puny .223..
i can let of ten rounds as fast as he does..
i got a colapsable stock, scope, aftermarket mags, yada yada...
its fear and misleading promotions on the news that will soon consider all firearms "military style" and all will be banned....
i guess our deer rifles will fall under "military type high powerd sniper rifles"???
all in all, they are using the " judge a book by its cover" to install fear and ignorance in todays people.
just had put my 2 cents in
Old December 22, 2012, 03:14 PM   #10
arizona98tj

Unfortunately, disinformation and emotion will usually prevail over logic and common sense, at least in the short term. I say disinformation because the anti-gun politicians and media consciously continue to use incorrect terminology and emotional buzz words. This is done to flame the emotions and passions of people who have no understanding of the real problems. These people are angry and mad at what happened (just like you and me) but because they are ignorant of the facts and don't have a dog in the fight, they'll jump on any bandwagon that shows some hint of a promise for a quick solution, even when we know it will not.

That being said, the company's that decided to quit selling ARs....well, I've no respect for them. Yes, it is their decision....but in my opinion, they might as well roll over on their back and pee on themselves like a neutered dog in a dog fight. They could take on the challenge of informing the ignorant and pushing back against the media disinformation....but that would be harder. No one said doing the right thing was easy. I'll spend my money at another retailer.
Old December 22, 2012, 03:36 PM   #11
ripnbst

It's misinformation. You sound as ignorant as those you speak of...
Old December 22, 2012, 03:46 PM   #12
oldsoonershooter

Now that we've had our English lesson for the day, I agree with Arizona. I'll take my money and business to a store that doesn't run and hide from public opinion. If AR's are so bad, why were they selling them in the first place. Thank God all the car dealers don't have the same idea or we would all be walking.
Old December 22, 2012, 04:05 PM   #13
arizona98tj

ripnbst....per the dictionary I just checked;

disinformation = noun; False information that is intended to mislead, esp. that released by a government to a rival power or the media. Synonyms: misinformation

misinformation = noun; False or inaccurate information, esp. in order to deceive. Synonyms: disinformation

OK....so enlighten us....what is wrong with my choice in the context for which it was used?
Old December 22, 2012, 09:58 PM   #14
Stuohn

Was just in Academy picking up a scope when, the gun counter guy informed a guy behind me that Academy will continue to sell ARs but, they will no longer be displayed. He said you would have to ask to see one.
Old December 22, 2012, 10:21 PM   #15
rcase1234

Wal Mart no longer will carry AR 15's. Just hunting rifles and shotguns.
Old December 22, 2012, 11:35 PM   #16
teeroux

My Walmart doesn't have any semi autos on the rack not even the mini 14s.
Academy didn't either but they were still selling them. Sold two while I was looking for magazines.
Old December 22, 2012, 11:46 PM   #17
tulsamal

Our Walmart here in rural OK has been selling AR's for a while now. And they always had several in stock. I wandered by that way a couple days ago and there was nothing in those spots. The tags were still there but no rifles. Probably sold them but I didn't ask.

Gregg
Old December 23, 2012, 12:00 AM   #18
Bushmaster1313

Quote:
Wal Mart no longer will carry AR 15's. Just hunting rifles and shotguns.
I feel safer already.
How much damage could a crazed manic do if limited to hunting rifles and shotguns?
Old December 23, 2012, 12:25 AM   #19
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is always amusing in a sick sort of way to hear the anti-gun gang prattle that they don't want to ban "sporting" weapons or "interfere" with hunting.

The news, boys and girls, is that what we have here is a culture clash. The left-wing collectivists against the right-wing individualists. The gun control people hate guns, hate hunting, hate any sign of individualism. If they had their druthers, the U.S. would be a Stalinist dictatorship, with all dissent and individualism totally suppressed and people imprisoned or killed for being different.

That does not mean the left is squeamish about dead bodies; their heroes, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, slaughtered millions, but they did it collectively, which is to say that the government did it.

Of course, the antis want to ban hunting, and target shooting, and the use of guns for defense. They are deeply and deathly afraid that if the people are allowed to own guns, they will not be able to impose their will on the masses, and that is what they want to do.

The name of the game is power. Many psychologists and psychiatrists believe that the need for power drives all human endeavor. It is a good thing to remember when we see someone like Bloomberg, who has all the money anyone could ever need, dictating how much soda people will be allowed to drink. People say they want to do good; but that gives them power over those they help. People say they want money; but money is a means to power. People say they want sex; but sex is another way of exercising power.

Jim
Old December 23, 2012, 01:22 AM   #20
Captain H

I have a hunch that Academy and even Dick's used the shooting emotions as an excuse to pull the rifles. In reality, they will sit on them then once prices skyrocket as they have started, they will sell them and make a bigger profit.

What is funny is that the killer used two pistols to execute those kids, the rifle was in his car and found by police after the incident.
Old December 24, 2012, 09:50 PM   #21
Ben Towe

Academy didn't pull anything, at least not here. I looked at an R-25 Remington there last night. Stopped in at Dick's as well just to see if they'd actually pulled them off the shelf (Internet stories are great, but I like to confirm things). They had, and all "high capacity" magazines as well. I made friends with the guy who managed the guns/hunting department and found out they had a beaucoup of ARs and mags in back that they'd pulled. I told him how much I'd like to ease his mind by buying all his mags, but no dice. Their computers won't let them ring any of it up.

Walmart here didn't pull anything either, they did sell out of ARs pretty fast though.
Old December 27, 2012, 01:09 PM   #22
radom

Dicks in the local area here has pulled all the AR types and mags also. Wall Mart had one AR type, M&P in .22lr. Wholesale Outfitters not one single center fire semi-auto on the shelves.
Old December 27, 2012, 04:33 PM   #23
Tucker 1371

I heard about Dicks pulling ARs from their shelves for good. I personally couldn't care less. If I understand the system correctly all that means to me is A LOT less retailers buying up ARs from the distributors my LGS and Bass Pro use.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old December 29, 2012, 04:39 AM   #24
dascottsman

I wonder what they will do with all of the AR's that they pulled????? Sell them through a sister company for HUGE mark-up????
Old December 29, 2012, 08:47 AM   #25
teeroux

Quote:
I feel safer already.
How much damage could a crazed manic do if limited to hunting rifles and shotguns?
I believe Whitman killed 14 wounded upward of 30.