The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 16, 2011, 04:31 AM   #1
KayNyne

Hunting

Sorry everybody, i have a lot of questions about gun laws! My question this time is if i were to go hunting, say dear. Would i be allowed to bring a handgun to carry on my person for self defense? What about if i was camping? And i was talking to a buddy and he told me that where he used to live (CA) he could shoot his guns in outside as long as he was not in city limits. Is this true for illinois also?

Thanks!
Old December 16, 2011, 09:00 AM   #2
MTT TL

Hunting a "dear" would be highly illegal. Hunting an "deer" is legal.

Hunting with a handgun is legal in IL.

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/...TestingCWD.pdf

Quote:
Legal Firearms: You may use either a shotgun, muzzleloader or a handgun with a firearm permit. Shotguns must be not larger than 10 nor smaller than 20 gauge (a rifled barrel is legal), not capable of firing more than three consecutive
However you will need that whacky card that they use in IL, the FOID. There are restrictions on the firearm (caliber, ammo etc) at the link. Carrying concealed is still a horrible crime that you can be arrested for.
Old December 16, 2011, 10:10 AM   #3
shortwave

Quote:
My question this time is if i were to go hunting, say dear. Would i be allowed to bring a handgun on my person for self defense?
If the dear you are hunting is not currently involved with a buck, why would you need a gun for self defense? ...

Rule #1 in dear hunting:

ALWAYS INVESTIGATE TO SEE IF THERE'S A BUCK INVOLVED PRIOR TO PURSUING SAID DEAR.
Old December 16, 2011, 03:58 PM   #4
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Chocolate and roses for dear hunting.

Google your state Department of game and wildlife hunting regulations to get your answer. The advice you get from somebody in Nebraska or North Carolina if you are in Ohio or New Mexico won't help you much.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old December 16, 2011, 04:31 PM   #5
hermannr

For a state like IL, read, read, and read some more. Firearms laws, F&W law and then search out anything (in their law) that has anything remotely to do with firearms, owership, use etc.

IL is absolutely like no other state when it comes to their law...
Old December 17, 2011, 05:23 PM   #6
gofast1320

carrying hunting

If you are hunting you aren't "carrying" you are hunting with a pistol.
If you are carrying you are carrying with the intent to go armed. Two different scenarios.