The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 23, 2010, 09:19 AM   #1
skinsman

Barrel question

Hello all, this may seem like a dumb question but I have to ask. I have a S&W 9mm. Model 915 that I inherited. It shoot smooth, doesn’t jam or anything but is not very accurate. It looks like its had a lot of use in its day. Is there an easy way to tell if the barrel has been shot out of it, worn out after too many rounds have gone through it. I can see the riflings and nothing seems damaged to the eye, but the riflings are not as deep as my sig either. Any help would be appreciated.
Old May 23, 2010, 09:30 AM   #2
knight0334

You can slug the bore or use a caliper to gauge the lands and groove diameters.

I sincerely doubt your barrel is shot out. Its not like the 9mm is a hot loaded .220 Swift or is running high operating pressures. And add that lead and copper is much softer than the steel of the barrel its unlikely its worn down.

Last edited by knight0334; May 23, 2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old May 24, 2010, 09:36 AM   #3
ClydeFrog

"When in doubt, switch it out!"...

If you got or purchased a used semi auto pistol regardless of brand or model then have valid concerns about things like springs, barrels, magazines, sights etc I say just switch it out or get a factory/custom gunsmith upgrade.
It may not be cheap or practical sometimes but if you want to keep the pistol or get the best use from it(protection-duty-match) then the $$$ is worth it.
You can get the S&W PC to go over the 9mm or send it to a top pistolsmith like Wayne Novak in WV; www.novaksights.com . A new stainless match grade barrel new springs(Wolff brand), a new magazine or 2 should help out.
Old May 24, 2010, 04:30 PM   #4
dcody40

Better yet !

Although I'm not familiar with this exact hanggun model, it probably has a barrell bushing, this part could be just plain worn out, also I'd ask what ammo your shooting, and does this ammo perform better (your expectations) in another gun ?. Are you an experienced shooter with other 1911 platforms.
How many rounds have you shot through it so far, you can't always tell how
a gun is doing with just a box of ammo through it. Can you bench rest it, how's the trigger action ?. Others experience with this same model.
Just shooting some idea's out there for you.

I recently met a new shooter that purchased a new SW 50 cal revolver, I don't remember the model, but he had to have one, he couldn't hit the whole barn, and low flying airplanes left the area fast ! I loaded a fresh cylinder and got down and rested both arms on the shooting bench, and proceeded to put all 6 rounds in the black fist sized group at maybe 10 yrds, he didn't believe the gun was accurate at all and was making noise about taking it back. He sure changed his mind when this old dude got good hits with a small cannon. No I don't need one, got enough already.

So don't give up, let some more experienced shooters take a look and see
if you can find out what's going on with the shooting iron.

Regards

Duane USN/ret
My only revolver is a SW model 27-2 N Frame 4" tube, nickle with target everything. I'm a certified 1911 nut. And no I'm still not selling my comp guns.
Old May 25, 2010, 11:14 PM   #5
skinsman

To answer a few of your questions, I have had this pistol for around 12 years, I came to have it when my father pasted away. Did not know him, but did learn he was an avid reloader, and had some issues that would most likely make him a poor reloaded. Anyhow, since the first time I fired it I thought it was inacurate, more so than any hand gun I owned then, or now. If it wasnt his, I'd sold the thing long ago. I have fired between 1200 and 1500 rounds through it over the years, all different types. This last go around that made me decide to find and fix the problem I shot 2 types of ammo. Speer lawman, and Hyro shocks. As far as the trigger pull goes, single action it has a nice pull. Shoots off with a rest or not, and in all honesty, I cant comment on the barrel bushing you spoke of. Its a free floating one piece barrel.
Thanks for the input.
Old May 26, 2010, 03:14 AM   #6
drail

deleted
Old May 26, 2010, 04:19 AM   #7
LanceOregon

If you are concerned, send the gun into S&W's Gunsmithing Services. They will do a tune up of the gun for only $150.

If you cannot afford to wait long for the gun, for $175 they will do the work and guarantee that the gun will be back to you within 5 work days.

See:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...6_757751_image