The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 24, 2009, 06:35 AM   #1
SilentSoul

stock work

I have a Ruger 10/22 that has had a lot of time and work invested in it, i hunt small game with it, and use it for plinking at times, it was my very first firearm of any sort, so it has a lot of value to me, naturally

i spent many weeks working on the stock alone, every bit of free time was spent with the seemingly never ending, fine touches i can't even recall exactly what all i did, but most of the work was spent attempting to make it feel really "special" in my right hand, though i prefer to shoot left handed, i don't like brass being kicked in my face and down my shirt.. it an be warm

this was the result of that work

i don't have enough pictures to show all the details, i even shaved material from the palm face so palm would lay at the perfect angle, likewise the groove for my thumb on the top, which you can kind of see, the effect for me at least, is profound.. not to mention being proud of it

another shot, ignore the girlfriends jun..., uh stuff

it has since been re-barreled, fully free floated and bedded, also sports a red-dot rather than scope now

but, as you can see, the receiver is somewhat bare, the new barrel is an "Aluma-Lite" by Majestic Arms, in OD green http://www.majesticarms.com/id2.html to see the color.. though its hard to tell the texture of the finish, somewhat of a flat/satin deal

the reason for my post is this, i would like the receiver and exposed trigger assembly, to match the barrel, the textured black stock with OD action just screams.. beautiful, to me anyway, the problem is, i have seen a few rifled "painted" in various ways, both baked on finish and the "dura-coat" and like products, while they turned out great, the color/finish does not match that of my barrel, it seems to be a "non-standard" OD green, how can i go about matching the barrel? without a lot of potentially costly trial and error

thanks

PS. i realize now, that the title is misleading, thats what i get for posting after an early start and 3 bottles of bawls

"If you want to save your eyes close them. If you want to save your life keep them open."-Unknown?
Old March 24, 2009, 05:08 PM   #2
rgitzlaff

Try sending a picture of the barrel to Lauer Custom Weaponry (they market the Duracoat, Sherwin-Williams makes it). They should be able to match it up the same way the hardware store can match your house paint to any color. Duracoat is a pretty nice finish in my opinion, I have done several guns with it. Easy to do a nice job for an amatuer like me, and if the surface is prepped well it can be very durable indeed. Nice stock by the way! I'm in the process of making a new thumbhole stock for my 10/22, hope it turns out as nice as yours.
Old March 24, 2009, 10:35 PM   #3
SilentSoul

I dont think i have a camera that is good enough to pull that off right now, i need to to get a new digital camera

that is what i would like to do, i just wonder about the finish, its going on smooth aluminum, i suppose i could just repaint the barrel as well, Lauer Custom Weaponry is a really good resource for this though, i as unaware of them, thanks for the reference, going in my bookmarks

i started out with a factory wood stock, considered just ordering a new one and be done with it, then i got an idea.. started playing with a rasp and was very surprised, its covered in "truck bed coating" out of spray cans from wal-mart after many coats and proper curing, its solid as stone.. i made the mistake of getting the coating inside the stock, it was a PITA to get it removed when i decided to put the action back in

the bedding worked out really well, i used a thin stainless steel tab, at the action screw, fine tuned the height by removing wood under the tab and torquing the action down, repeating until it was right, secured it in place with epoxy, i made a "seat" of sorts at the back, was considering adding another anchor point at the back of the action as well.. but i settled on molding a bedding compound for a secure fit, its been this way for over 3 years now and shot very well, even with the factory barrel, held its zero through my abuse..

i tried to bypass the limitations of a somewhat soft wood stock, as far as consistency goes, i like bedding.. but i knew there was no way i could compress the wood in the stock to its limits by tightening the receiver down, unless i used something like a metal plate, that way i could have a bit of security knowing that hopefully, the elements and other factors would not effect the mating of the action to the stock... i may have been over thinking it though, or just wrong outright, its only a .22 though

"If you want to save your eyes close them. If you want to save your life keep them open."-Unknown?
Old March 25, 2009, 01:01 PM   #4
rgitzlaff

Why don't you install pillars where the action screws go through the stock? that way you can tighten them down as much as you want without crushing the wood stock. If you did all that stock and bedding work, you are well capable of installing pillars.

The duracoat should work well on your barrel. You might want to rough it up a little bit with bead blasting first though. Duracoat works best with a rougher surface to grip to. Even with good degreasing, it might chip off a really smooth surface.
Old March 26, 2009, 06:03 AM   #5
SilentSoul

At the time, i did not know anything about installing pillars, it was my first attempt at stock "building", i just did what i thought would work, with very little research into the matter, it would have been the easy road though.. had i thought of that, or known about the technique

i will probably paint the entire action now i suppose, after checking around, it seems like matching the color/texture will not be that easy

which is better in the long run, a naturally curing coat, or a baking type? i have the means to bake the gun, if that is the only reason people choose to go with the non-baked coatings, no old oven big enough to do so in i mean

Old March 26, 2009, 04:03 PM   #6
rgitzlaff

I only have experience with Duracoat so I can't say with any certainty which is better. Duracoat you can get in any color, I haven't seen any bake-on finishes that have that kind of selection, usually only a couple different common colors. If you have the means to bake it, then go for it, it's up to you.