The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 24, 2004, 11:17 PM   #1
tmak

hornady LNL progressive

i see lots of talk about dillion but have any of u used the hornaday progressive there available at the local shops. they look like they're really built quite well.
Old May 25, 2004, 09:31 AM   #2
ahenry

For Dillion users nothing will ever be as good as a Dillion. However, since I am not a Dillion user myself, let me say that I am favorably impressed with the LNL. The only caveat to that is that I don’t actually own one. I haven’t purchased it yet but I have done a significant amount of research regarding which multi-stage press to buy and I decided to go with the LNL. YMMV
Old May 25, 2004, 10:12 AM   #3
kidcoltoutlaw

i had the projector

the one right before the LNL it had one problem that drove me crazy.it would not seat the primers deep enough in used brass.got the rcbs pro 2000 love everything about well almost.i dont like the fancy strip primer feed but love the tube feed system.i think its the best made for hi output of rounds,thanks,keith
Old May 26, 2004, 03:34 PM   #4
dan_s

Yes, it is built well. I have used mine for going on two years and could not be any happier with it.. Performs very well..
Old May 26, 2004, 06:29 PM   #5
Guy B. Meredith

Personaly I like the Hornady LNL quite well. I bought it after looking at others in the stores and felt it looked less gimmicky in build. It has now reliably suffered through around 25,000 rounds of my amateurish fumbling. No squibs and no kabangs as I use the RCBS lockout die for safety.

My press is an older build. The newer presses have several upgrades:

1. New priming system that eliminates the quirky habit of the previous system of not feeding the last primer without some fuss. I have put this system on my press and find it to be excellent.

2. Even more convenience in the very accurate powder measure--easy interchange of metering devices and easy empty of powder. On my older press I have the micrometer meter which lets you use the same metering device for all loads. It is very accurate in that you can go from one setting to another and be able to depend on getting the load you expect at each setting. However, if you pull the press apart for cleaning you will want to make sure the meter has reseated in the same setting.

3. Set up for brass feeding attachment. The older presses like mine require a retrofit which I am now debating.

One caveat is that the wire used at station 5 for ejecting the finished round may interfere with non-Hornady dies. There are three options to fix it: use Hornady dies, shorten down non-Hornady dies or just remove rounds by hand. I did the latter while experimenting with an RCBS die and was able to do 100 rounds in 12 minutes or less with no stress.

The upgrades look very attractive to me and I am considering purchase of an additional press.
Old May 27, 2004, 11:02 PM   #6
grunewaj

I have a LnL AP also and I like it. As Guy says, the powder measure is very accurate and the (available) micrometer inserts are VERY handy. I also like the LnL bushings. They allow quick die changes and allow no movement. The press is very sturdy and very reliable. To top it off, it is the less expensive than the RCBS 2000 and even though it is more similar to Dillon's 650, it is still less expensive than Dillon's 550.

Hornady's powder measure is case activated rather than activated by a linkage. I find this to be very usefull.

Guy is correct that the main annoyance is the ejection spring at station 5. I've just decided to standardize on Hornady dies and that solves that problem. I also have a Redding crimper that I cut down. I have heard others say they have gotten the Lee FCD to work with the LnL AP.

There's a couple of websites you may want to visit. Check out http://www.cs.odu.edu/~rtompkin/hornady/blue.php and http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunition/lock_1105/.

I have gotten excellent service from the technical support staff at Hornady, too. I have been very pleased with mine and it shows no sign of any wear after many thousands of rounds. I think you'll enjoy one.

Good luck!
The government consists of a gang of men exactly like you and me. They have, taking one with another, no special talent for the business of government; they have only a talent for getting and holding office. Their principal device to that end is to search out groups who pant and pine for something they can't get and to promise to give it to them. Nine times out of ten, that promise is worth nothing. The tenth time is made good by looting A to satisfy B. In other words, government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods.

-- H. L. Mencken
Old May 28, 2004, 08:44 AM   #7
tonyz

Where to buy

Where is the cheapest place to buy the L-N-L Progressive. Plus the accessory's?

Thanks,

TonyZ
Old May 28, 2004, 10:26 AM   #8
grunewaj

You can sometimes catch sales, so check all these places:

Graf & Sons
Midsouth Shooters Supply
Midway
Lock Stock & Barrel
T N T Reloading
Arms & Ammo

You should be able to get the press for about $300. Maybe a little less.

Good Luck!
The government consists of a gang of men exactly like you and me. They have, taking one with another, no special talent for the business of government; they have only a talent for getting and holding office. Their principal device to that end is to search out groups who pant and pine for something they can't get and to promise to give it to them. Nine times out of ten, that promise is worth nothing. The tenth time is made good by looting A to satisfy B. In other words, government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods.

-- H. L. Mencken
Old May 29, 2004, 10:10 AM   #9
crazylegs

TMAC, although I own a Dillon 550, I believe the LNL is an excellent press. Please keep in mind that although it has five stations, you won't be able to use a powder checker without some modifications. It uses a dedicated station for expanding. I did a lot of research on it and I was one keystoke away from ordering it but changed my mind due to the "wasted station". But as you can see, I bought the 550 (I had previously owned one and loved it) which won't hold a powder checker either.
It's a very robust press and because it has a non floating head, leads me to believe it would crank out some pretty precise rounds. Even though I'm a Blue fan, I sure woudn't mind having a LNL on my bench.
crazylegs
Old May 29, 2004, 02:45 PM   #10
tmak

thanks

thanks guys for the help. i went ahead and picked one up. it took an hour or so to get everything all set up after that my 9 year old was running it just fine. now i'm thinking that new case feed would be a really good thing to bolt on. has anyone out there installed one on your machine if how does it work.
Old May 29, 2004, 03:16 PM   #11
grunewaj

tmak,

crazylegs is right, without modification, you will not be able to use a powder check die. I have gotten the directions to incorporate expansion and charging in one station. Here they are from an email I had or found a while ago. I have heard it works, but I wasn't able to get the powder measure height adjusted to get it to work. I plan on having a new spacer made to the proper length so it wouldn't take any adjustment, but I haven't gotten around to it.

You don't have to get an entire Lyman multi-charge die, you can get just the individual expander noses from Lyman.

Ok, NOW here are the instructions!:

A gentleman using the name of 10fan used to inhabit another forum and had the
Hornady L-N-L AP set up with separate seat and crimp dies and RCBS lockout die.
I am moving towards that setup, too, after my recent education on crimps.

I am also curious to know whether the RCBS powder measure from the 2000 press
would fill the bill. Looks very much like the Hornady and I understand there
is some cross polination between the two companies.

Per 10fan:

"...I use a Hornady Progressive and a RCBS lock out die. The way I have mine
set up is:
station 1 sizing die
station 2 powder charge/expand die (will explain in a minute)
station 3 RCBS lock out die
station 4 seating die
station 5 crimping die...

I use the AP case actuated powder measure, with a slight modification. I took
the short powder spacer (meant for a rifle) and drilled and threaded it to
accept a Lyman expander insert (out of a Lyman Multi-charge die). The
modification was easy, only took about 15 mins, cheap ($10 for tap, $ 20 for
Lyman Multi-charge die), and works like a champ...

"Now for the placement of the plug: First locate the middle sized rifle insert
for the auto powder drop. It may be assembled inside of the auto powder drop
already or it may be loose in the packaging. The one you are looking for is
about 1.1 inches long. Clamp it in a vise and drill a 0.317 inch hole through
it. You are not really drilling a hole, more like enlarging the one already
there. Next tap the hole. MAKE SURE you tap the correct end. If you look at
the insert one side has a long gentle sloping funnel towards a smaller hole.
The other side has a very abrupt taper to the hole, that's the side you want
to tap. I'm not sure exactly what the thread is on the tap. I took the Lyman
insert with me to the hardware store and handed it to a clerk and told him
that I wanted a hole threaded to match it. He came back a few minutes later
with a tap and it worked when I got home. I hope that explains every thing.
It really is a lot simpler than it sounds and will only take a few minutes
worth of work. You shouldn't have any problems with 38/357, but if the whole
set up ends up too short (can happen with 380s, 9mms, etc.) just put the other
rifle insert in on top of the modified one. It's kind of hard to explain, but
you will know what I am talking about if it happens...

10fan"

I hope that helps.

Good luck!

-- H. L. Mencken
Old May 30, 2004, 12:44 AM   #12
racenutz

Would it be possible to modify the LNL AP to use Dillon's powder check system? IMO, I like it better than the RCBS lockout die & the RCBS & Hornady powder check die. The reason is it works with all types of cases & you don't have to visually check the die to see if the charge is OK. Perhaps you could drill a hole for the actuating rod through the top of the press?

Also, do any of you that own this press use the LNL bushings for a single stage press? I understand that the dies can be setup so they can be used in either & while it sounds interesting I'm not sure how useful it would actually be.
Old May 30, 2004, 12:23 PM   #13
grunewaj

I don't know about Dillon's powder check system (though I am amused with their apparent love of linkages ).

Both Hornady and RCBS (and probably others) have powder check dies and to my knowledge, they all work with all types of cases. Hornady claims theirs works with "all calibers."

I know of people who use the LnL bushings on both their single stage press and their LnL AP and they seem to like it. I wonder if the die has to be readjusted when you go from one press to another which would defeat the purpose. I don't have one, but it would be handy for the Hornady presses to have the same critical dimensions to allow swapping from one to the other. I've also seen where others have the bushings only on their single stage press and are very happy with it.

YMMV!

Good Luck!

-- H. L. Mencken
Old June 24, 2004, 05:33 AM   #14
Edmond

Hello Y'all !

a newbie visiting from Frogland, it happened that I found this interesting site when browsing for informations about the LNL AP having had some breakage problems .

I am one of the first users of the Blue Press that I discovered in AZ almost 20 years ago and I started to use a LNL AP since I like to test all available products on the market.

I confirmed that the LNL bushing can't be used without reindexing the dies since the LNL AP thickness of the upper part of the frame is different from the classic LNL .

I use LNL Bushing with Dillon powder dies, expanders and Powder measures on post 2 hence allowing Post 4 to be used for a Lee FCD , this setting mainly for my IPSC Handguns loads.
I use Hornady Powder measures for my plinking rifle loads and PACT for my Bench Rest loads.

Old July 8, 2004, 04:49 PM   #15
Edmond

I heard that Hornady has corrected the bugs on the LNL AP above SN 7000.
I experience problems with 2 AP in the Serial Number 6500 range.
can somebody tell me the SN found currently on the market now ? TIA.
Old September 10, 2007, 01:13 PM   #16
FALPhil

Quote:
gruneway said:
I'm not sure exactly what the thread is on the tap. I took the Lyman
insert with me to the hardware store and handed it to a clerk and told him
that I wanted a hole threaded to match it.
I made this mod on my Hornady Pro-Jector recently. I bought the new, improved case actuated powder measure adapter and did it this past weekend. The thread on the Lyman part is 3/8" x 24 TPI and the proper drill bit size is a wire gage 'Q', but a 21/64 bit will work.

I have the old Deluxe powder measure and I had to futz with geometry a little.

Hope you don't mind my resurrecting an old thread.
Old September 10, 2007, 02:24 PM   #17
FatWhiteMan

LNL is great. You can't beat the free bullet offer either. Getting 1000 free bullets is a great incentive.
Old September 10, 2007, 02:35 PM   #18
LHB1

Unless you insist on using separate seating and crimping dies, you CAN use a powder checker with no problems or alterations. Have been reloading since 1963 and have always used a combination seater/crimper die with no problems. My original Hornady Projector and two LNL-AP presses use std RCBS carbide dies:
sta 1: sizer/deprime
sta 1.5: reprime
sta 2: bell case
sta 3: powder measure
sta 4: powder check die
sta 5: seater/cimper

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old September 10, 2007, 03:09 PM   #19
FatWhiteMan

If you want a taper crimp, you need a taper crimp die.
Old September 10, 2007, 05:29 PM   #20
FALPhil

Here is the setup on my Pro-Jector:
1. Size & deprime. Prime on the down stroke.
2. Expand and drop powder.
3. Check powder level (opted for a checker, not a lock out).
4. Seat.
5. Taper crimp.

One of these days, I might upgrade to an L-N-L, but I am still pretty happy with the Pro-Jector.

My understanding is that the L-N-L is in the class of the Dillon 650, even though it is priced like a 550. If you look at the features, it blows the 550 away.

I thought this was informative:
http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillon...Comparison.pdf
Old September 10, 2007, 08:42 PM   #21
BigJakeJ1s

There seems to be some confusion about whether or not the LNL AP expands the case mouth in a separate station from dumping powder.

For about the last year or more, the LNL AP has had the ability to expand and dump powder in one station. You need to buy the caliber-specific hollow expander separately from Hornady to do so.

Andy
Old September 12, 2007, 11:08 PM   #22
Hunter0924

Here is an article I wrote for m1911.org on my Hornady L-N-L Progressive a little while back, So far she has been flawless.
http://ezine.m1911.org/HornadyLNL.htm
Old September 13, 2007, 12:13 AM   #23
Arabia

My LNL Press is pretty good overall. I have loaded thousands of pistol cartridges on it. The only real issue I have with it is the temperamental priming system. The priming arm does not always pick up a primer from the tube, so I end up with several cartridges without primers. Other times primers jam in the base of the tube so I have to dismantle the priming system to clear it. Another issue is the primer arm guide breaks every so often. Hornady has been good about sending replacement parts to try to fix the issues but so far none of their tech help has worked. I think it just a bad design.
Old September 13, 2007, 11:28 AM   #24
LHB1

Quote: "If you want a taper crimp, you need a taper crimp die."

True! BUT the standard RCBS .45 ACP seater/crimper die IS a seater AND a taper crimp die combined. These dies have worked fine for me in 1911 pistols for 43 years of handloading. Some people prefer separate crimper dies but I have had NO problems since 1964 with using combination RCBS seater/taper crimp dies. Use whichever type works for you and be happy.