The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 21, 2013, 04:55 AM   #1
justplainpossum

I love my Springfield XDM, but...

field stripping it is so hard! That slide is something else. I feel like I'm playing Twister just trying to get it back and the slide notch thing in place so I can actually remove it. I pull with my right hand and use my left finger to try and raise the notch, but usually by the time I get it to the spot it needs to be in my strength gives out and I have to start over. Is it this tough with all the .45s? Is there a trick that I haven't figured out? Or do I just need to get stronger? It doesn't seem like it should be so tough.
Old March 21, 2013, 05:21 AM   #2
dayman

I thought one of the selling points of the line was how easy they are to field strip. I had an xdm9 for a while and it came apart almost effortlessly - it's been a while though, so I can't say exactly what I did.
I'd check youtube for a guide video and see if you're doing something off.
Old March 21, 2013, 05:57 AM   #3
Nakanokalronin

It's a lot easier to just put an empty mag in, lock the slide back, take out the mag and flip the take down lever up.
Old March 21, 2013, 08:25 AM   #4
Swampman1

Quote:
field stripping it is so hard! That slide is something else. I feel like I'm playing Twister just trying to get it back and the slide notch thing in place so I can actually remove it. I pull with my right hand and use my left finger to try and raise the notch, but usually by the time I get it to the spot it needs to be in my strength gives out and I have to start over. Is it this tough with all the .45s? Is there a trick that I haven't figured out? Or do I just need to get stronger? It doesn't seem like it should be so tough
Clearly you're doing something wrong. Next to a Glock, probably the easiest to field strip. 1- lock the slide back, 2- raise the takedown lever, 3- pull the slide back a little more til it clicks..then move slide to the left to remove. To reinstall, lock the slide, lower the takedown lever...done.

Last edited by Swampman1; March 21, 2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old March 21, 2013, 08:28 AM   #5
wbw

I don't have mine in front of me, but I always thought that they were extremely easy to take apart.
Old March 21, 2013, 08:48 AM   #6
Kevin_d77

Try using your left hand to pull the slide back and right thumb to lock it.

Or do the magazine trick. Seems much easier.
Old March 21, 2013, 09:03 AM   #7
Rmart30

Quote:
Try using your left hand to pull the slide back and right thumb to lock it.

thats it...... its super easy to disassemble that way
Old March 21, 2013, 09:03 AM   #8
cbennettx

Yeah; not sure what you are doing; but it literally takes about 4 seconds to field strip. Lock the slide back, flip the takedown lever, release the slide; that's it... three steps.
Old March 21, 2013, 09:16 AM   #9
odugrad

I find them extremely easy to field strip. I've taken down several different types of guns and found the XDM to be the easiest. That was one of the reasons I bought one.
Old March 21, 2013, 11:48 AM   #10
justplainpossum

It's the "lock the slide back" part that's so hard. I use my stronger arm (right) to pull it back, but by the time I have it lined up to try and get the slide button up, the slide goes forward again. Takes me about five minutes to get the slide lock in place (and then I'm beat! lol) Maybe this is just one of those times where it pays to be a guy. Unless your wives have no trouble with it, and then that would just make me feel like a wimp.
Old March 21, 2013, 11:55 AM   #11
TunnelRat

Try putting in an empty mag first, that way you won't have to fiddle with the slide stop manually.
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 21, 2013, 12:19 PM   #12
justplainpossum

Re-read your posts, and I'll try the empty mag trick! Thank you!
Old March 21, 2013, 12:19 PM   #13
Kevin_d77

What TunnelRat said!

But make sure its EMPTY!!!!
Old March 21, 2013, 01:58 PM   #14
Viper99

Hard? I have the 3.8 XDm compaq and is very easy.
Old March 21, 2013, 02:05 PM   #15
Wyosmith

I have to say the XDM is the easiest gun to field strip I have ever held in my hand.
Old March 21, 2013, 02:18 PM   #16
Kevin_d77

Leave the lady alone, she's learning!
Old March 21, 2013, 02:20 PM   #17
BigJimP

Try a 2 hand grip ....I'm right handed..so...

a. lay the gun in the palm of your right hand...muzzle to the left (make sure its unloaded of course)...

b. push the slide back with left hand ...and wrap 3 fingers from right hand over top of the slide / thumb on right hand around the grip under the hammer...( kind of like a "claw" ...or its called the old "armors grip"...) to control the gun with 2 hands - and defeat the spring pressure.

c. When you have it solidly in both hands - now its easy to control the slide - and either lock the slide back....or if your hands are not too small, you can hold the slide fully back / and unlock the lever holding it on...( its not just an issue for ladies / I have young grandkids male and female, that I teach this grip to - for taking a gun down for cleaning ..) ...

and even though I'm 6'5" and 290 lbs arthritis in my hands and especially my fingers has taken a toll ...its hard for me some days too ...on a .45 acp or even a .40 S&W caliber weapon....

If you get someone to show it to you ...3 or 4 times, its pretty easy ...( any of us at your local range, that look like we're probably over 50 yrs old ) ...and shoot a lot of 1911's ....have probably used this old "Armor's Grip 100,000 times"...just in last 2 or 3 yrs...

Yes, the recoil springs on most any gun in .45 acp ...makes them a little tougher to manipulate than a typical or similar gun in 9mm..../ and its worse as the spring weights go up ( 18 lb is tougher than a 16lb, etc ) and I don't know what they shipped your gun with ....but go to an XDM forum, and they'll probably discuss spring weights on those guns ( us 1911 guys debate spring weights like politics ...and we don't agree on anything...)...and it varies by velocity of round, weight of bullet, etc...

Last edited by BigJimP; March 21, 2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old March 21, 2013, 02:47 PM   #18
Uncle Malice

My wife is 5'1" and 120lbs - she has had no troubles with my XDMs or Glocks. The only thing she doesn't like is the 1911, because the plunger in the front is a bit tough.

It sounds like you just need to learn how to use leverage in your favor.

Hold the gun in your right hand in a shooting style grip. Point the gun to the left and get a firm grasp on the top of the slide. Force your hands together to move the slide to the rear, rather than sling shot style - my wife has trouble with sling shot style, too. With this method, you're using your upper arms and shoulders to compress the spring.

Kind of difficult to explain, I suppose, but look up YouTube videos. I'm sure there are some demonstrations.
Old March 21, 2013, 07:11 PM   #19
Japle

Wait!

You have to clean them??
Old March 21, 2013, 07:27 PM   #20
lee n. field

Quote:
It's the "lock the slide back" part that's so hard. I use my stronger arm (right) to pull it back, but by the time I have it lined up to try and get the slide button up, the slide goes forward again. Takes me about five minutes to get the slide lock in place (and then I'm beat! lol) Maybe this is just one of those times where it pays to be a guy. Unless your wives have no trouble with it, and then that would just make me feel like a wimp.
I don't know about the XDM, but my XD's recoil spring assembly is pretty stout to pull back and latch. It's probably the hardest of any of my autoloaders to rack.

Try the empty magazine method, so you're not having to try to work the slide latch at the same time.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 21, 2013, 07:55 PM   #21
Viper99

Apologies to the OP. Did not realize that it was a lady and yes, XDm's are hard to pull the slide back. Take Tunnelrats advice with the empty mag.
Old March 21, 2013, 10:09 PM   #22
SauerGrapes

This is why my wife makes me clean her gun.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old March 21, 2013, 10:16 PM   #23
jsust

my xd is pretty hard to pull back. i hold the slide firm with my left hand and push down with my right and use my thumb on my right hand to push the lock up. you could as others said but and empty mag in and pull the slide back. it will automatically lock up for ya. if the slide is just to darn hard for ya you can put the rear sight on something and push the gun down. you can leave your slide racked to wear the spring out a little like you can do with magazines. or the more expensive way is to blast a few thousand rounds and weaken the spring lol
Old March 22, 2013, 08:25 PM   #24
magnum777

I'm am surprised to hear this, I saw the XDm field-striped on you tube it looked very easy. I hope this is the case for me, I have one on layaway.
Old March 23, 2013, 06:46 AM   #25
Marquezj16

Quote:
Unless your wives have no trouble with it, and then that would just make me feel like a wimp
The missus owns one. She does not have any problem with locking it back and field stripping it.

Could be your spring is just a little stiff. How much have you shot it?

Also the post about using an empty mag is probably the easiest way to lock the slide back.