The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 4, 2012, 11:06 PM   #1
westfi1

Help

I have a S&W model 29 that is busted. I would like to try to fix it myself, but I have never been inside a S&W revolver. Is there a non-video tutorial available to teach me disassembly ? Thanks very much in advance.
Old August 4, 2012, 11:47 PM   #2
wyop

You could buy the Kuhnhausen's manual on S&W revolvers:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/314...rry-kuhnhausen
Old August 5, 2012, 01:00 PM   #3
drail

If you have any intention of "fixing" a S&W revolver buy the Kuhnhausen Shop Manual. It will save you a lot of money and frustration and mistakes in the long run. It is well worth the price. There is a lot more going on inside a S&W than you think and parts will not just "drop in". Just watching a video won't tell you enough either (especially since the majority of the videos I have seen are completely wrong.)
Old August 5, 2012, 01:36 PM   #4
PetahW

Sometimes, S&W will surprise - I've bought used S&W's, only to send them in to S&W's Service Dept for repairs (legal under Federal Law for anyone to do), and got them back as new, for the bubble.

Old August 5, 2012, 07:18 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

A better definition of "busted" might help. It could mean anything from some dirt in the action to a gun blown to pieces.

Jim
Old August 5, 2012, 07:52 PM   #6
westfi1

Help

You are right, Jim - I was way too vague. What is happening is I can cock the gun with the hammer in single action mode, and everything is fine; the cylinder rotates and locks up, the hammer stays back, the trigger moves back, etc. But when I pull the trigger to fire the gun, the hammer doesn't fall, it just stays back in the fully cocked position. The trigger moves back far enough to release the sear but the hammer just doesn't move. If you keep the trigger held back and push the hammer forward, it will fall, but takes quite a bit of pressure to do so.
The same thing also happens occasionally in double action mode but not as often. Maybe this will give some insight into the problem. Thanks so much once again.
Old August 5, 2012, 08:35 PM   #7
Dfariswheel

The Kuhnhausen manual has everything you need to disassemble, diagnose, repair, and reassemble your S&W.
The manual shows all work the way they do it at the factory.

I recommend ordering it from Brownell's so you can also order a Brownell's Magna-Tip gunsmith screwdriver set made specifically for the S&W.
These drivers will prevent damaging the screws:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...-A-SHOP-MANUAL

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4...-W-SCREWDRIVER