The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old April 4, 2009, 09:53 AM   #1
georgiaboy47

Range Gear

I'm trying to put together a gear list for just when I go to the range, as well as a gear list for when I go to the range in an instructor role. So what do you carry to the range when it's just you? For the instructors out there, what do you take to the range?

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Old April 4, 2009, 06:25 PM   #2
boltgun71

Just a few things off the top of my head. Ear plugs, stapler, staples, markers/pens, targets, target pasters, shooting mat, cleaning supplies, sand bags, eye protection.
Old April 4, 2009, 06:31 PM   #3
oldkim

depends on what type of instructing...

But for basics I like to take what I normally would shoot - the only thing I really add is a picture of a good "sight picture"

Normal: In Range Bag
Pistol, ammo, cleaning kit, rags, good lubricant
stapler, target pastors, tape, marking pen

Some other stuff I like to carry too: binoculars, laser pointer, utility tool, small set of screw drivers and pliers.

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org

Last edited by oldkim; April 4, 2009 at 06:38 PM. Reason: adding comment
Old April 5, 2009, 10:08 AM   #4
OldShooter

gear

Better bring a first aid kit.

Hmmm, you're an instructor and don't know what to bring to the range?
Old April 5, 2009, 10:20 AM   #5
georgiaboy47

I am a range coach in the Marine Corps, but I'm trying to get certifications and such to become a shooting instructor. I just want to see what everyone else has so I can make sure I'm not missing anything, or maybe see if I overlooked something.

Old April 5, 2009, 10:32 AM   #6
MrSardonicus

a wise man once said "I am the wisest of men for all that I know is that I know nothing at all...
once one reaches the level of master(instructor/teacher), one should not hesitate to ask questions of one's peers and continue to learn all one can about one's chosen field of mastery."
Old April 5, 2009, 05:58 PM   #7
GlockJockey

Quote:
a wise man once said "I am the wisest of men for all that I know is that I know nothing at all...
once one reaches the level of master(instructor/teacher), one should not hesitate to ask questions of one's peers and continue to learn all one can about one's chosen field of mastery."
Never was truer word spoken!

This may be redundant, but take a friend. Sometimes it's very hard to correct faults when you can't see what's happening yourself. You might be the range master or controller, but someone has to stand and watch how your students are gripping the firearm, what their finger is doing on the trigger, etc. That can be hard to see from behind a line of shooters.

I'd also add a tape measure. If you're shooting on an outdoor range, knowing distances from the line to target can be helpful. Maybe even small traffic cones to mark the lines where shooters should stand.

Cheers!
Old April 5, 2009, 07:04 PM   #8
georgiaboy47

Maybe if I post what I have so far, people can see what I'm missing.

My Gear:
Ear & Eye Pro (Ear plugs, Muffs, and Glasses)
Shooting Gloves
Weapon Lubricant (Right now I just use CLP)
Multi-tool
Screwdriver
Box for all the gear
Punch Rod
Cleaning Kit
Pencil/ Pen
Notebook

That's all I have right now, or can think of. For my instructor gear, I know I will need certain items, so anything that is put down here will help. Thanks.

Old April 6, 2009, 08:18 AM   #9
OldShooter

Gear

I always bring more than one gun. You are not out of business if one has a malfunction that can't be corrected in the field. I also usually have a spotting scope, saves a lot of walking to look at targets. One club I shoot at insists on chamber flags to prove a gun is safe during cease fire, so that is always in my box too.

NRA sponsors a number of courses for pistol, rifle, shotgun, range safety officer etc. Check with the local ranges and clubs for courses they offer.
Old April 6, 2009, 09:19 AM   #10
CortJestir

Range bag contents...

Hmmm, let's see if I can remember off the top o' me head what I've got in ye trusty olde range bag...

This is for my handgun range bag for an indoor range, BTW.
  • Eyes and ears
  • Syringe dropper of Weapons Shield CLP (holds a few ounces, IIRC)
  • A bore snake for each caliber pistol I own
  • Micro screwdriver kit
  • Leatherman
  • Gun rags
  • Targets
  • Plastic Ziploc bags for brass pick-ups
  • Uplula speed loader
  • Sharpie pen, pencil, small notebook, handloading journal
  • Self Defense Drill workout sheets
  • Masking tape

And of course, the guns I plan to shoot that day and plenty of mags.
Old April 6, 2009, 11:26 AM   #11
kraigwy

Man thats a catch-me - get-me question.

Goona say Depends. Running ranges and instruction courses very with what type of shooting or instruction you are gonna conduct.

High Power Clinics:

Ear & Eye protection. Targets, staplers, pasters, scoring disk, communication equip (is no using a reduced range). Range flags, spotting scopes. Copy of USAMU Servise Guide for each shooter. Black Board, Shooting jackets, gloves, slings, mats. At least one each of the Rifles used in Service Rifle Compitition. Tool Kit (including cleaning quipment). Ammo, Bolt open indicators. Score books, pencils. Stop watches, wind gages. Scoring gages. FIRST AID KIT. Yeap I know I forgot a lot here. Laptop with differant balistic programs. NRA MEMBERSHIP FORMS. Drinking water. Coffee & Donuts. Keys to the range and range/target sheds. Range rules. Tons of handouts (relative on what type classes you are conducting. Coaches plotting sheets, NRA & CMP Rules.

Bullseye:

Pretty much what is listed above. Leaving out those related only to rifle and substituting pistol needs.

CCW & Gen Firearm Safty Classes: Most of what is listed about, but Also a copy of the state's firearm laws and regulations. A series of Firearms Defence DVD/Tapes, and machine to play them. As many types of pistols/revolvers as I can get my hands on, and enough ammo for the same so each student gets a to try differant guns.

Regardless of what you list, you're gonna forget something. Thats why I like to conduct classes at my own range.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 6, 2009, 01:18 PM   #12
rk219

I bring basic safety gear (eyes and ears), a first aid kit, targets, stapler, etc. and a small tool kit for working on my equipment if needed.