The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 26, 2009, 10:24 PM   #1
christcorp

Remington 870 express extension tube magazine

Not sure if this has been asked before. If so, please direct me to the thread; I've searched all over. Can anyone tell me the max barrel length in relationship to the extension tube magazine. I.e. I've seen the 10 round extension which is 5 additional. How SHORT of a barrel can I put on this remington so that the extension tube magazine ISN'T longer than the barrel. I have numerous barrels, but I'd like to know which extension will work with which barrel. I.e. I like using the shorter barrels for HD (Duh); but a 10 shot (5 additional) extension magazine tube might be longer than the barrel. So; can anyone tell me the max barrel length for the:

10 shot (additional 5)
9 shot (additional 4)
8 shot (additional 3)
7 shot (additional 2)

Obviously; all of them would be good for my 26" barrel; but that's not very practical for HD. But I've also got a 24", 20", and an 18 1/2". Thx... Mike...
Old March 27, 2009, 01:47 AM   #2
SteveRick

I personally would go with 8, but it is really all about you.

A couple things to remember is the weight difference at the muzzle, overall weight, and importance of practice.
Old March 27, 2009, 05:20 AM   #3
Homerboy

My 870 came with a Choate mag extension on it. It comes fiush up to the bottom of the 18.5" barrel. Total capacity is 6 in the tune of 2 3/4" shells.