The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 15, 2015, 08:33 PM   #26
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
It appears to me that the NRA, SAF and company are in for an expensive battle.
In this case, the legal issue is pretty clear. The state occupies the entirety of firearms regulation and state law preempts local ordinances. It doesn't seem like there's much to be argued in a courtroom.

I would like to know who the "international law firm" is who's willing to do this for free. I smell Bloomberg in this.
Old September 15, 2015, 08:36 PM   #27
rickyrick

Probably some Gates money too.
Old September 15, 2015, 09:57 PM   #28
gyvel

Not sure if this is germane to the subject, but guns carry an excise tax that is built into their price. Taxing of a firearm would also be taxing the portion of the cost that is the excise tax, resulting in a case of double taxation.

(Maybe that's not the right term; Am I being too simple minded again?)
SIFE
Old September 16, 2015, 06:29 AM   #29
steve4102

Quote:
I would like to know who the "international law firm" is who's willing to do this for free. I smell Bloomberg in this
The Associated Press and KOMO 4 News reported that Steptoe & Johnson “has 500 lawyers around the world and specializes in complex litigation.”

Steptoe’s local counsel is Gordon Tilden Thomas & Cordell. The two firms’ pro bono work for the City ...

The team from Steptoe, which has a rich history of working without compensation on issues such as civil rights, civil liberties and child trafficking, is directed by William F. Abrams, head of the firm’s Palo Alto, CA, office and a consulting professor at Stanford University. Joining Abrams from Steptoe are Laurie Edelstein, Sarah Jackel and David Kwasniewski.
Old September 16, 2015, 06:49 AM   #30
Mosin-Marauder

Tennessee has a current ammo tax (10 cent I believe). But I heard sales tax doesn't apply to ammo there, or something like that. So it kinda evens out if that's correct. Plus the Tax there goes to agriculture and wildlife I believe.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old September 16, 2015, 11:26 AM   #31
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
In his press release, Holmes stated, “The NRA doesn’t get to come into our City and tell our elected officials that they lack the authority in Washington state to tax businesses that sell a product that, when misused, so dearly costs our constituents, most of them young people.”
Strip away the emotional baggage, and to me this says "you don't have the right to tell us that we have to follow the law"!

Which, I believe, we do.
Old September 16, 2015, 12:37 PM   #32
kilimanjaro

In the meantime, Mr. Holmes refuses to prosecute cases involving public drug usage, and complains publicly about 'out-of-control cops' doing their duties. Apparently, in his jurisdiction, crime can be controlled by allowing criminals to do whatever they want, while inanimate objects hold responsibility.
Old September 16, 2015, 03:16 PM   #33
carguychris

Kilimanjaro, at least Holmes is consistent in asserting that state laws he dislikes shouldn't apply in Seattle.
Old September 16, 2015, 04:33 PM   #34
rickyrick

Seattle elected officials trump state law? Good information to know. Strangely, I'm liking portland more better lol... I'm just gonna go insane I guess. Maybe the mayor of centraila can moderate the proceedings