The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old April 19, 2008, 11:17 PM   #1
TexasSeaRay

Weird looking .308 brass--anyone seen this before?

Found a bunch of these at the range a while back. 7.62 in caliber, but I can't recall seeing brass like this. Anyone seen this before?

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old April 19, 2008, 11:28 PM   #2
steve4102

Looks to me like it could be 7.62x54R Russian.
http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/P...page%20286.pdf
Old April 20, 2008, 01:05 AM   #3
45Marlin carbine

looks like it 2 me 2.
Old April 20, 2008, 01:07 AM   #4
DonR101395

You guys beat me to it. I didn't know Winchester made brass in that size though. If you look at the head stamp it says 7.62x54R
Old April 20, 2008, 03:38 AM   #5
Yithian

If you want 308 Win brass, that aint it.
308 Win is 7.62X51 NATO.

7.62X54 is a Russian equivalent of our 30-06 Spr. The "R" means it is a rimmed case.

...As far as I know.
Old April 20, 2008, 09:09 AM   #6
Sevens

7.62x54R has the strangest rim I've ever seen on a rifle or pistol cartridge. It's a rimmed designed, but the rim has a little taper to it, like a little bit of brass has been turned on it's bottom-most edge.

It really doesn't look like anything else I've ever seen. And it's usually eastern bloc berdan primed crap and it lays in neat little piles on the range.

What annoys me a bit about this brass on a public range is that it's most likely coming from a bolt action surplus rifle. It's not reloadable, and if all are getting chucked from an old bolt action relic, why doesn't anyone simply police their brass and toss it in one of the many trash cans rather than pile it up with all the other junk brass on ground? It's not like it's an SKS chucking the stuff 6 feet.
Old April 20, 2008, 02:40 PM   #7
Hawg

Winchester brass should be boxer primed.
Old April 21, 2008, 10:54 AM   #8
Smokey Joe

6 feet ha, ha, ha!

Sevens--
Quote:
It's not like it's an SKS chucking the stuff 6 feet.
I would be tickled to death if my SKS threw its empties ONLY 6 feet. Or if it threw them with some sort of consistency.

When I'm done with a session w/my SKS, there is brass behind me, straight to the right, angled forward to the right, straight forward, and even some to the left. In a radius of perhaps 10 feet, and that's the ones that didn't bounce even further.

My SKS is the most enthusiastic brass thrower I have ever seen!

I reload for it, and so try to pick up all the brass, and my recovery rate is about 80-90%. There are always a few empties which simply disappear completely.

If the SKS has any competition in the brass-throwing department, it is the M1 Carbine. Oh, and one friend @ my range has a Marlin Camp Rifle in 9mm which really flings 'em. But IMHO, the SKS is still king.

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; April 21, 2008 at 10:56 AM. Reason: The usual--had another thought.
Old April 21, 2008, 04:52 PM   #9
Sevens

Smokey Joe, my biggest brass flinger is my S&W 1006. I just installed a Wolf 22-lb recoil spring to try and slow it down and bring the brass a little closer, but it still chucks 'em like an olympic shot putter. So if you ever come up with some system that helps you with the SKS, tell us about it and maybe I can copy it for my 10.

I have one of those mesh bag catchers that mounts to my right hand and it catches 80-90% of them, but it ruins my shooting for sure.

The best way for me to get all my 10mm brass it to have a buddy shoot my pistol while I catch the flung brass.
Old April 22, 2008, 02:44 AM   #10
snuffy

Ha! You've obviously never seen what a CZ-52 does with the 7.62X25 empties! At least it's fairly consistent, but about 20 feet at 5 o-clock. Since they're so rare and expensive, I really want to keep them.(expect the military berdan primed stuff.) I still pick it up, since it IS brass.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old April 22, 2008, 09:18 AM   #11
TexasSeaRay

You guys are amateurs

Hell, NONE of y'all know anything about brass-flinging guns and not being able to find your brass.

My Ruger MarkII bull-barrell throws the brass EVERYWHERE and it's pure-D hell to find.

You guys disappoint me.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old April 22, 2008, 10:00 AM   #12
Sevens

Heading off topic on a one-way street, but I don't think the original poster gives a crap! When I first started shooting at 15 (YES I know, very late, but I made up time, believe me) one of the first firearms I shot was a Browning .22 semi-auto, you know the one, fancy, short barrel that removes easily and has the deep bluing and the tube magazine in-stock, and the not-so-common BOTTOM EJECT?

Well, I fired off a few rounds and sent one directly in to my shoe, in between a loose sock and my foot. The mother just BURNED in to my ankle, by the time I extracted it, it was already cooled, and left a tattoo that I have a hard time finding nowadays, but left a nice impression on me back then!
Old April 27, 2008, 02:04 PM   #13
Thesenator

RE: "Looks to me like it could be 7.62x54R Russian."

It says 7.62X54R right on the case head.......how could there be any question as to what it is?
Old April 28, 2008, 02:46 PM   #14
thallub

Winchester and Remington made 7.62x54 ammo into the 50s or 60s. Got a few boxes of Winchester on hand as we speak. Not sure if Federal made any of it.

A few million Russian rifles were made by US companies who were stuck with most of them when Russia withdrew from WWI. They were sold as surplus.
Old April 28, 2008, 03:54 PM   #15
azredhawk44

Winchester still makes 7.62x54R... or at least they buy it under their headstamp made from someone else's facilities.

I have a box of Winchester-Metric 7.62x54R 180gr softpoints for my Mosin 91/30 sitting in my closet right now, along side several more boxes of Sellier and Bellot 7.62x54R 180gr Softpoints.

That brass is boxer primed and of great quality, completely reloadable.

But it ain't .308, and it ain't 7.62x51 NATO.
Old April 29, 2008, 07:29 PM   #16
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Type brass asked and answered.

Ejection patterns are VERY far off topic.

Best,
Johnny
Closed Thread