The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 24, 2000, 11:53 PM   #1
PreserveFreedom

I was at a gun show in Las Cruces this past weekend. A class III dealer had a short barreled Mossberg (2+1 capacity). I commented about how that tempts me to get a class III license more than full auto does. He told me that you can legally buy and posess one without a class III license, but you have to pay a $5 transfer fee and register it. Is this true? I thought that a class III license was required for any full auto, short barreled shotgun, or supressor.

Old October 25, 2000, 07:10 AM   #2
Schmit
Staff Alumnus

You need a Class III licence to Make or Sell fullauto/suppressors/short bbl arms.

You need a Tax Stamp to posses any of the above. What happens is the Class III Dealer gives you paperwork to fill out (ATF Form 4) in Duplicate. The paperwork list the Class III item you intend to purchase. You fill out your info, get two sets of finger prints, two passport type photo's and have you local CLEO sign off that you are not restricted from owning one.

You either give all this back to the Dealer who send it to ATF (or you send it to ATF) along with a Money Order/Bank Draft for $200(Full Auto/Suppressor or $5 (Short BBL).

Some time later (anywhere from 3 to 8 months) if all goes well you will receive one copy back with the Tax Stamp on it and signed off by the ATF.

With the signed off Form 4 w/Stamp you then go get you Class III item.

Simple as that

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"
Old October 25, 2000, 09:51 AM   #3
Jhp147

This is not my area of expertise, but I think I know what you are talking about, Mr. Freedom. The short barrelled shotgun you saw is classified as an "Any Other Weapon" and can be registered as such for 5 bucks instead of the 200 machine gun tax. You will note that the gun you saw had a pistol grip, I bet. The same gun, with a full normal shoulder stock, would be a "Short Barrelled Shotgun," and would require a 200 tax, same as an automatic weapon. What a difference a shoulder stock makes, eh? This is all from the 1934 law regulating autos, I think.

------------------
Shamans emerge whenever certain needs remain unanswered...Mark Levy