The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 8, 2007, 04:31 PM   #1
Stan_TheGunNut

I want a Benelli!. What are the differences?

Ok folks, I've decided that I want a semi-auto shotgun, and I've decided it will be a Benelli. The gunshop I normally go to has M2's in stock. One of them is a HD shotgun, and another is more of a standard shotgun. They said they could also order and M4 (but this one seems quite a bit more expensive).

So, I have a couple of questions. The guy in the gunshop admittedly didn't know all the answers, so I thought I'd ask here, and maybe a couple of other places online. For reference, these two links provide examples of what I was looking at:

http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/m2.tpl

http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/specialpurpose.tpl

http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/m4.tpl

-What attributes does the M4 have over the M2, and is it worth the price difference? Is the action on both the M2 and the M4 the same?

-Some of the 'hunting' M2's have the 'ComfortTech' system which is supposed to reduce felt recoil by about 50%. This seems like a nice option if you're shooting clay pigeons, or taking a tactical shotgun class. Is the HD M2 or the M4 able to be configured like this with just changing the stock? If not, is it even possible to get this feature?

-Would you suggest that I purchase a standard 'hunting' type M2, and then just configure it into a HD shotgun if I so desire?

I did a search, and see that there is also an M1...what is that?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old August 8, 2007, 04:32 PM   #2
FrontSight

Just get the Super Black Eagle II...I LOVE IT
Old August 8, 2007, 06:25 PM   #3
BigJimP

I have a Benelli super Sport - with the comfort tech stock - and its a great gun. The comfort tech does reduce recoil significantly in my opinion - to the point where it is similar to a gas operated gun. I don't depend on mine for self defense - its a field and clays gun so I went with a 30" barrel. 28" or 30" barrels on semi-autos are common in the field - you need the longer barrel for the sight plane for birds or clays. Most of the Benelli's are inertia (spring) cycling guns not gas operated.

The M4 is a gas gun / civilian version of the gun they made for the marines. I think it's a good gun / easy to clean, etc. The M4 does not come with the comfort tech - and it can't be added later unless you change the whole stock. But it's a modified gas gun - so you probably don't need the comfort tech there.

The M2 comes in a tactical or "practical" length - but its really the same gun with an 18" vs 26" barrel. It has the comfort tech system in it if you buy it in the "practical" and comfort tech is an option as a tactical. Again I would go with the comfort tech option - its a little more money ( about $125) but worth it in my view.

The M1 is kind of a hybrid - but it's a field gun and available in 20ga or 12 ga and a 24" barrel ( more of a turkey gun probably ).

I think Benelli makes a very good gun - there are other models out there too - super black eagle, etc and you can get it with a 28" for some field, trap or skeet - and then pick up a 24" or 18" barrel for defense. They have a good website - go thru the barrel options and just decide what you like. But you ought to be able to get one gun and 2 barrels that will fit your needs.
Old August 8, 2007, 07:33 PM   #4
Stan_TheGunNut

Thanks for the information. It appears, based on feedback here, and from what I read on the Benelli website, that the Comfort Tech stock is somethign that I can add any time I want, regardless of which gun I get.

I think I really want two guns....the M4 for HD and shotgun classes, and the M2 for shooting clays. I sure do have expensive 'wants'. Maybe I need to rethink my situation, and classify two Benelli's as 'needs'.
Old August 8, 2007, 08:11 PM   #5
FrontSight

Dude, just get the sbe ii, you won't believe how much you will love it
Old August 9, 2007, 02:13 PM   #6
BigJimP

I don't mean to be a bad influence - but if you buy the right gun to start with ( even at $ 1,500 or $2,500 ) look at the cost over 25 years you're only talking about $ 60 - $100 a year. That isn't too much to spend on a long term gun.

What's expensive is buying guns you don't really want / or guns that don't fit and pretty soon you have a safe full of guns you don't even want for
$ 10,000 ........that's a lot tougher to swallow.
Old August 10, 2007, 06:08 PM   #7
Stan_TheGunNut

Well, I ended up buying a Benelli M4 shotgun. I decided I really wanted the gas operated version, for no other reason than that's what I wanted. It really wasn't that much more than the M2 in the big scheme of things....I bought the M4 for $1365, new. That's the most I've ever spent on a shotgun, though they did have some nice OU's that were more expensive.

Thanks to everyone who offered their thoughts on the subject. I appreciate your input.
Old August 10, 2007, 09:56 PM   #8
spoolup

Kick ass stan. I actually just picked up my M4 today as well. Been eyeing it for a while. Yours was $20 better than my price. But I am not complaining. I cant wait to get a day off to go blow some stuff up. Watching the videos on youtube is making me feel like a kid at christmas. Great purchase man.

And big Jim I like how you described that. I have to remember that more often. Thanks

Stan post us some pictures and let us know what you think after the range trip. I plan on getting a EOtech on this to match the ARs and CX4 (besides I get 1 a year at a kick ass price for working at L3) and a Meas tactical stocksaddle.

Heres mine
Old August 11, 2007, 11:10 AM   #9
Stan_TheGunNut

I'll be sure to post pics when I get it. The gunshop had to order it, and they said it might be a while before it gets in. When they called up Benelli, apparently they didn't have any in stock at their warehouse, so they have to wait till some come in from Italy...go figure.
Old August 11, 2007, 11:21 AM   #10
spoolup

Who did you buy it thru? I know of a few people waiting 4-6 months and never getting them, or when the had the collasible stock and extension "KITS" I know people who ordered them and when they came in the shop said sorry we have to raise the price $300. Thats why I jumped when I seen (in person) mine. I had to wait about 3 months for the 870P in the configuration I wanted, doubt I will ever do that again. Talk about antipating a phone call!!!!
Old August 12, 2007, 02:12 PM   #11
Stan_TheGunNut

Purchased it at a local store where I've bought stuff before. They called Benelli direct and placed the order. I don't think the wait will be too bad...at least compared to the silencer fiasco I've been going thru with the ATF. They lost all my paperwork the first time thru, so it had to be resubmitted. It's been several months now, and I'm still waiting.

If they try to raise the price on me...well, I'll play that card when it's dealt.