The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 9, 2013, 12:04 PM   #1
airbrnpig

Safe bet? TC Venture WS in 308... Oh and thanks to FL members

First off - thanks to all the members of this forum. I have been reading the forum and receiving excellent advice from Firing Line members for so long, I started to feel guilty that I never contributed. So I signed up, figured I would start with this post and fork over my two cents (ok one and a half) on any topics I have useful knowledge on. Alas, this will probably limit my postings.....

Question:

I am looking at the TC Venture combo in WS 308. Seems like a very solid gun, durable, and reasonably priced. I like the feel and have two TC muzzle loaders which I absolutely love and shoot sub moa groups at 100 yards. Sorry Savage guys and gals, I know they drive pin holes on top of pinholes - just cant get over the feeling that I am holding one of my boys nerf guns...

I have seen a few forum posts. Mostly positive but one VERY negative. Any thoughts from the forum on TC Venture now that we are (1) year removed from the TC Venture sear recall (2) year plus into the SW buy out of TC.

I am also moving the family up to Alaska this year so would LOVE any advice on the great hunting opportunities i may encounter. God Bless and again, thanks.
Old March 9, 2013, 01:48 PM   #2
Tom68

Hey, and welcome to the forum. you might can guess by my number of posts that I do far more reading than writing here.... but it's normally quite informative and usually very entertaining.

I have a Venture WS chambered in .270 and I've written about it several times here. In short, I am quite pleased with it. Some fodder it just doesn't like, but I've tweaked a few handloads that are consistent 0.5" - 0.75" performers at 100 yards. It may very well be the most inherently accurate rifle I own.

I was having no problems with the trigger/sear, but I dutifully sent it off for the recall last year, and I noted no felt difference in the trigger afterwards. and speaking of triggers, of four bolt action sporters I currently own... including a M70, X-bolt, and a Mossberg ATR (which actually has a good trigger, an accutrigger copy), the T/C is what I consider the best. it's easily user adjustable without having to remove the action (which the owner's manual strongly recommends against....not too sure about that), and it breaks very cleanly without a hint of creep.

I can't speak about the scope in the package deal, as mine was a rifle-only deal. I actually not even looked through one in the store, so I would recommend some careful study to determine if the package is best for your needs, or if you would immediately be replacing it with something finer. as for myself, I don't have too expensive tastes in glass...a VX-III is my top shelf scope, and I really don't see myself going much more expensive in the future.

I really don't have a lot to say negative about the rifle, except the stock is, well, it's no Macmillan or B&C. It feels cheap, and the fore end has a significant amount of flex in it...certainly wouldn't want to be tight-wrapping a sling on this one. Plus I think it looks cheesy, with the rubber inlaid panels.... but it works well, and those ugly panels do seem to facilitate a grip in just the right places.

so, it depends on what you want this rifle to do... If shooting 1" or better at 100 yards consistently with most ammo, with a rifle that didn't cost an arm and a leg to obtain, and one that you really don't worry too much about getting out in the rain and snow... then I would call it a good choice. I've read several "reviews" on it as well as the other entry-level rifles on the market now, and I've read even more real reviews from folks on this very forum, and I've come to the conclusion that the major manufacturers have pretty much gotten the price point down to where most anyone can have an accurate rifle that goes bang every time, as long as they're willing to forego the bells and whistles, beautiful wood (or even top of the line synthetics), and penache.

if a good, accurate rifle at a reasonable cost is what you're looking for, I don't think you will be disappointed.
Old March 9, 2013, 11:23 PM   #3
airbrnpig

t68

Tom68: thanks for the response. Just the type I would expect here - informative. I feel the same way on "entry level" guns. They all seem to be pretty darn accurate (or claim to be) and come in a wide range of calibers which leaves shooters preferences. I have had great experiences with my TCs but a muzzle loader ain't the same as a bolt action.

I have handled pretty much all the $600 range bolt rifles out there in the last 6 months. Browning A and X, Savage 110/11 and axis, Weatherby, Ruger American, Mosberg 4x4, Rem my 700 sps, Marlin Xl7...and so on. Missed the Howa because I couldn't get ahold of one. I liked the feel and look of the Browning's but the weather guard, pricing and feel of the TC had me.

I'm looking at purchasing a durable, accurate versatile hunting rifle. From varmints to big N. American game like WT and elk (when we make it north). As for the combo, I am not usually a fan. Like to add my own glass but the combo comes with an extra mag as well at pretty much the same cost. My other rifles have a Nikon pro staff and a Bushnell banner. One at 150 and one at 70. Funny thing is I can't really "see" the extra 80! Guess I am getting old.

Glad to hear you are satisfied with yours and the recall wasn't that big of an issue.

I appreciate the comment and hope for a few more.....
Old March 11, 2013, 02:24 AM   #4
Liambobbi

I've got a venture in 7 rem mag good gun had it out to 600 yards good fun getting good hits at that range good choice for a hunting rifle we have 2 in the family and everyone seems happy with them
Old March 11, 2013, 08:17 PM   #5
airbrnpig

Liambobbi - thanks for the input. Good to hear. Just what i am looking for to add some range. How do you like the 7 rem? I was tempted with going with a "bigger" caliber but I have shot a lot of 308 and seems versatile enough for everything but the very largest N American game.
Old March 12, 2013, 10:32 AM   #6
Liambobbi

I love the 7 mm rem mag love how flat shooting it is love the range of bullet weight selection and factory ammo is easy to get if u don't hand load I love how it doesn't recoil that much more than a 30-06 so marksmanship is easyer than some of the larger mags I like all .284 cal 7mm08 .280 rem or AI even the 7x57 is good in my books I use the 7mm rem mag for larger big game (elk,moose,grizzly bear) so if all you are going to take is white tail deer I would go with something that would do less meat damage like 7mm08 or .280 rem
Old March 12, 2013, 12:03 PM   #7
airbrnpig

LIAMB - going for Elk this year. I am hoping 308 in a solid load and a well placed shot is the ticket.
Old March 12, 2013, 12:37 PM   #8
jp_over

On the AK bit, check out this forum:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com

Excellent source of hunting, fishing, outdoors info. We just got back from a tour at Fort Richardson this past year so if you have any specific questions let me know.

Also, be aware that if you're out and about hunting or fishing, a bear-suitable weapon is advised (lots of info out there but I went with 12 gauge hard cast slugs and/or a S&W 460V magnum with bonded ammo).

Joe

Quote:
First off - thanks to all the members of this forum. I have been reading the forum and receiving excellent advice from Firing Line members for so long, I started to feel guilty that I never contributed. So I signed up, figured I would start with this post and fork over my two cents (ok one and a half) on any topics I have useful knowledge on. Alas, this will probably limit my postings.....

Question:

I am looking at the TC Venture combo in WS 308. Seems like a very solid gun, durable, and reasonably priced. I like the feel and have two TC muzzle loaders which I absolutely love and shoot sub moa groups at 100 yards. Sorry Savage guys and gals, I know they drive pin holes on top of pinholes - just cant get over the feeling that I am holding one of my boys nerf guns...

I have seen a few forum posts. Mostly positive but one VERY negative. Any thoughts from the forum on TC Venture now that we are (1) year removed from the TC Venture sear recall (2) year plus into the SW buy out of TC.

I am also moving the family up to Alaska this year so would LOVE any advice on the great hunting opportunities i may encounter. God Bless and again, thanks.

“God grant that men of principle shall be our principal men.” – Thomas Jefferson
Old March 12, 2013, 01:19 PM   #9
Liambobbi

.308 win will do the job with a good bullets and good shot placement guys i hunt with use it for elk and moose is it ideal in my opinion no others I'm sure will disagree will me I think it better suited for mule deer and white tail deer just my opinion am I saying u should run out and buy a mag cal no just think about the game u are going to hunt with the rifle the most the distance of the the longest shot u take I've just found on large big game from watching people shoot elk and moose and taking them to mag cals are a bit more forgiving

Last edited by Liambobbi; March 12, 2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old March 12, 2013, 06:02 PM   #10
SCgman

airbrn,

Ventures get all lot of great reviews, and I have no doubt they are quality products. Have you searched for a TC Icon? 4 years ago I was looking for a second bolt action. I had a hankering for a Venture and did quite a bit of research on the internet. All the experts were comparing it to the Icon, and in doing so, were highliting all the features an Icon had over the more affordable Venture. Basspro had a great deal at the time on a blued synthetic Icon in .308 so I went that route, skipping the Venture all together. I only got as far as handling a Venture prior to that and there's a big difference in feel. The synthertic stocks are completely different on an Icon.

Anyhow, in the $600 bracket you're not far from an Icon if you consider going used, heck you might find a NIB on the net. Icons are not as available as the Ventures so it will require some looking. Both rifles have strong followings. I have two Icons, love them both. Excellent products and quite the bang for the buck compared to similarly built weatherbys and sakos. Either way your looking at a quality product. Good luck.
Old March 12, 2013, 08:18 PM   #11
Liambobbi

I second that If you can afford it go the icon I've got two and they are better than the venture but if u can't the venture is still a great gun.i love my tc's remember don't cut into your glass money glass is just as important
Old March 12, 2013, 10:31 PM   #12
airbrnpig

Joe - Great link. Thank you. Looking at some rounds for my 12 gauge now. Good advice and I have had enough warnings from some locals and now here. I will take it as a "must pack".

SC / LiamB - Good to hear TC is doing well in the bolt action lane. I looked long and hard at the Icon but it appears to be like that Maryland WT 13 point my father-in-law keeps sending me field camera shots of at our local hunting site - "It exists, but apparently only in photos.." . I cant seem to find an Icon in what I was looking for and with the right price that is NOT sold out.

In the end, I handled the model Venture I want and liked it. If it lives up to all the solid reviews, I will start looking at a higher TC mode down the road.

I pulled the proverbial online trigger today (about 30 minutes ago) and should have the Venture in Weather Shield 308 with extra mag, Bushnell 3x9 40 scope with weaver base and sling - in a week or two. I got it for $470 (and that is with shipping). I will post some results here when i get it and again when I get it to the range. I have a few decent scopes on my other rifles so perhaps a swap out will be in order LiamB.

Thanks again all and please keep the comments coming - TC, Alaska or otherwise.
Old March 13, 2013, 03:49 AM   #13
Fire_Moose

Re: Safe bet? TC Venture WS in 308... Oh and thanks to FL members

Wow good deal!

I found my Venture for $399 but no scope, sling, er nothing.

Make sure you check your serial with the recall list. Mine was on page 73 of 75 /roll eyes.

No problems yet but I will send it in once I use up my 200 primers.
Old March 14, 2013, 01:19 AM   #14
airbrnpig

Fire moose - nice deal as well. Didn't think you could get one under 400. I'll church the recall list. Hoping this one was made past 10/2011
Old March 14, 2013, 01:19 PM   #15
Liambobbi

Cool enjoy posts pics of groups I'm sure you will love the venture
Old March 17, 2013, 08:40 PM   #16
airbrnpig

ak hunting

Joe - wow did you open a can of worms! I figured being a New England boy, cutting my teeth hunting in Maine, I was bear aware. I had no idea what a hot topic bear defense was for those headed to Alaska to live/hunt and how ignorant I was. I appreciate the heads up.

After all the research and post reviews I came away with even more questions. Was hoping a 308 rifle with a 180-200 grain bonded load with a 45 hollow points/ Springfield pistol would be more then enough for bear defense (realizing that neither of course was even close to suitable for bear hunting).

Now, after the research, I'm debating carrying my Remmy 12 guage with slugs on any hunting trip or deep hike. Hate to carry 3 guns but I would hate it even more if my last thought was "oh sh#t that's a big bear, wish I had a bigger gun". Any thoughts on a 308 rifle / 45 pistol combo for bear defense? Thanks again Joe.
Old March 19, 2013, 02:00 AM   #17
jp_over

Quote:
After all the research and post reviews I came away with even more questions. Was hoping a 308 rifle with a 180-200 grain bonded load with a 45 hollow points/ Springfield pistol would be more then enough for bear defense (realizing that neither of course was even close to suitable for bear hunting).

Now, after the research, I'm debating carrying my Remmy 12 guage with slugs on any hunting trip or deep hike. Hate to carry 3 guns but I would hate it even more if my last thought was "oh sh#t that's a big bear, wish I had a bigger gun". Any thoughts on a 308 rifle / 45 pistol combo for bear defense?
Looks like you visited the "outdoorsdirectory"! From what I've read, the 308 and .45ACP would be poor choices for defense from a large grizzly.

After all my reading, hunting (never did connect with a bear but only went on about 6 bear specific hunts), and talking to folks who hunt bear I boil it down to a few bear defense solutions (in order):

- Dangerous game rifle (see links and excerpts below) of choice for hunting and hiking

- 12 gauge with hard cast slugs: http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/ (sold at the PX)

- a reliable .44 magnum that you trust / can shoot well

On pistols: I had a S&W .460v but only carried hard cast 454 loads because the .460mag was just too uncomfortable to shoot steady. The 454 loads through that gun were much more manageable (to me). Of course, ammo was killer expensive so, in hindsight, I would have simply carried a .44 magnum. Of note, when you're fishing, you really don't want to deal with the hassle of a shotgun or rifle even if it's slung.

I wouldn't carry more than 1 weapon as in the mountains weight begins to be a big factor and can affect your hunting range (in the place I hunted, you had to pack out what you killed as no 4 wheelers were allowed).

Do a google search for "Johnson's pass trail" for a great walk in site. Lot's of bear sign in the area every year. Of course, check the current regulations to make sure it's still OK to hunt the game your're after during the time of year you want to hunt. Also of note, it's pretty much impassable without snow shoes during winter and early summer. You should also check out the book "hunting in AK" (by C. Batin). TONS of great info and almost mandatory reading for any AK hunt (he covers all common game animals, when/where to hunt, equipment, etc.).

If you're hunting bear, even if only black bear, there will be grizzly in the same area. As such, your weapon needs to be of sufficient caliber to kill a grizzly in self defense. Most experienced Alaskans say use a .30 caliber that you can shoot comfortably with no more than a 6 power scope (you won't want to risk more than a 100-150 yard shot anyway). I used quick release mounts on my .375 in case I had to flush a wounded animal. You are spot on about the bonded bullets. I used the federal premium safari loads and found them to be very accurate though I was not able to see how they did on an animal. Of note, they're also very expensive!

Here's one of the best articles I've seen which should give you more than enough info to make a rifle/caliber selection (along with 2 excerpts):

http://www.chuckhawks.com/grizzly_cartridges.htm

"The minimum recommended calibers for all of the great bears are the .30-06 Springfield with 180 grain (SD .271) to 220 grain (SD .331) bullets, and any of the standard length 7mm Magnum cartridges with 175 grain (SD .310) bullets. In addition to the .30-06, other suitable standard cartridges include the .338-06 A-Square and .35 Whelen, both with 225 to 250 grain bullets."

"In a recent survey it was revealed that the most popular caliber with Alaskan professional hunters and guides responsible for "backing-up" their clients was the .338 Winchester Magnum. With typical factory loads using 225 to 250 grain premium bullets the .338 Win. Mag. has a ME of about 3860-4046 ft. lbs. and a maximum point blank range (+/- 3") of about 270 yards. These can be taken as ideal ballistics for hunting any of the great bears. Recoil energy runs about 34 ft. lbs. in an 8.5 pound rifle."

As you might guess, I spent about 2 months in the maps and in the books before I set foot in the woods. Hunting in AK can be some of the most exciting hunting you'll ever experience, but it can also be some of the most dangerous (terrain, weather, game, etc.)!

Ah, what an experience you have ahead!

“God grant that men of principle shall be our principal men.” – Thomas Jefferson
Old March 19, 2013, 11:15 PM   #18
airbrnpig

bear protection

Joe - Your post and some additional research has me sold. Just ordered up a some boxes of brenneke slugs for the 12 gauge. Thanks again. Looks like I'll hump both the 308 and the shotgun on hunts but I'll have the sg in my hands going in and out! Until I sell momma on another rifle in a bigger Cal....
Old March 19, 2013, 11:29 PM   #19
airbrnpig

fire moose / recall

FM - you said previously you sent your Tc Venture in for the recall. What did your SN start with? Looks like the recall list has all models starting with a "u". My new rifle starts with "tfv" but the four numbers on my rifle match with one listed on the recall list. Guess I will call Tc but thought I'd check with you since you have all ready gone through the process.

For the rest of the thread - rifle looks great. WS finish is sharp. I was surprised how clear the Bushnell scope was. Came with decent scope caps and retention as well. We shall see at the range. Ill bring my Nikon monarch just in case it is junk. Came with a cheapo sling but it did have metal sling swivels which is great. Second mag and mag in the weapon both appear solid. At first blush - thumbs up for $470. Next post I'll put up some pics and shot results. I plan on putting at least three different 308 loads down range. Will advise. Thanks again for all the input.
Old March 19, 2013, 11:33 PM   #20
airbrnpig

joe - almost forgot!

Be safe in the sandbox. Remember, don't drink out of the "water bottles" in the latrine! RLTW!
Old March 20, 2013, 06:57 AM   #21
jp_over

Quote:
Be safe in the sandbox. Remember, don't drink out of the "water bottles" in the latrine!
Indeed!

Also, FYI I purchased my .375 (used) from the classified section on outdoorsdirectory.com and when I left AK, I sold it there. Just another selling point for an AK specific weapon that's reasonably priced which you can almost get your money back on.

There's also 907bigboytoys.com (AK specific hunting classified).

Old March 21, 2013, 02:39 AM   #22
Fire_Moose

Re: Safe bet? TC Venture WS in 308... Oh and thanks to FL members

I have not sent it in yet.

There is a 75ish page PDF that I searched my serial in.

Not sure the first part...think it was a u....
Old March 24, 2013, 10:58 PM   #23
airbrnpig

My TC Venture 308 WS package Review

Hit the range today with the TC Venture 308 WS package. Here are some results:

The Good
-Bolt action is smooth and I like the throw. Short but consistent. Easy to shoot, action, shoot again.
-Recoil is minimum.
-The "included" 3x9 x 40 Bushnell scope was surprisingly clear and accurate. Great view at 50 yards and 100. Still clear and crisp at 200 yards but the shooting cross took up most of the penny size bullseye. Came mounted a tapped with weaver style scope mounting brackets. Very solid.
- Gun looks great and I will post pics to anyone that wants to see.
- Minimum time to zero. Did it at 50 yards to get on paper and then out to 100. All groups (minus a "cold zero shot after I let the gun cool for awhile) were sub MOA at 100. As promised by TC...See pics.
- Wow, is this rifle accurate. At least for my shooting abilities....

The Bad
- I may be done with cheaper synthetic stocks. I have a lot of wood and a high quality synthetic on my muzzle loader so this may be something I need to expect on a gun under $500. Still, feels hollow and you can see/feel the seams were it is molded together. Not a deal breaker. Looks great. Just don't like the plastic on this.
- No fixed sites or even a drilled holes for forward or rear sites.
- It is "not recommended" to break the bolt down. Found this strange as you can not then get to the firing pin to clean it if you do not break it down. It is self contained withing the bolt housing. There are many "how tos" on the net but again - strange that TC advises against this and/or has a set up that makes them do so.
- The magazine is plastic. And not solid Glock pistol type-plastic, I mean McDonald's happy meal toy-plastic. The follower seems extremely flimsy. I got two in the package deal so here is hoping...The mag is detachable which (for me) is preferred.
- WOULD NOT ACCEPT / SHOOT Hornady 308 Marlin Express 168 grain. And when I say would not shoot, I mean that a) the round would not fit into the mag with out force. When in, the follower would not push it into the chamber. I tried just placing a single round in the chamber. It took the round and then...click. Nothing. Perhaps I am ignorant...is there 308 (factory) rounds out there that a 308 rifle wont shoot? The round, when compared to Remington 308 did seem slightly larger in diameter. Also - the firing-pin did not even dent the cartridge. Just click...round out, looked brand new. Any advice/input on this is much appreciated.
- I shot 80 total rounds and 40 rounds of Remington Express Core Lokt 150 grains. Two of these rounds (Remmys) did not fire. Both were dented by the firing-pin but no bang. Tried each round again with same results. I am hoping this is an issue with the bullet/lot but it is a scary feeling. I have had this happen before with bad lots/ammo but never two rounds out of 40 in a pretty consistent round/load. Again - any advice / input is appreciated.

Overall
All in all for a sub $500 bolt action rifle / combo, I am very pleased. Great little gun. My primary concerns were the Hornady round issue, synthetic stock/mold, and the no bang twice. As for the accuracy, feel, and overall appearance of the rifle - outstanding. I would recommend it for an entry level shooter or an experienced guy/gal looking to add another solid rifle to the hunting collection on the cheap. Thanks to all those on the FLF for their input on this purchase. God Bless.

(1) Winchester X 150 grain (6 shots)
(2) Remington Express Core Lokt (6 shots)
(3) Winchester and Remm (3 shots each)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shots w Winchester X.jpg (164.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg shots with Remm loc.jpg (120.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg shots with rem then Win.jpg (134.8 KB, 44 views)
Old March 24, 2013, 11:01 PM   #24
airbrnpig

Disclaimer!!

Photo (1) shows 7 shots (instead of the 6 I claimed). I let the rifle cool for awhile before I shot the last 18 rounds. The lower right round was the first. I think I can count...
Old March 25, 2013, 12:06 AM   #25
Dallas Jack

airbrnpig, the .308 Marlin Express is a different cartridge than the .308 Win. Glad you like your gun and it is performing well for you. I've never handled a Venture but all reviews I've read are positive.
Dallas Jack

Tags
venture and thanks!