The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 27, 2012, 03:36 PM   #1
chickenmcnasty

Just picked up my first black powder rifle

Well after much deliberation i finally got one. I ended up going with the pedersoli kentucky in .50 perc cap. It's a 1:48 twist. I got it at cabelas for $449 as it was mispriced.
A big thank you goes out to everyone that helped figure out my dumb questions. However, i will have a lot more i'm sure.
For starters, does anyone have experience with this rifle and what she prefers as far as powder/bullet/ball combinations? I'm going to have some serious range time this weekend!

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2
Old December 27, 2012, 03:38 PM   #2
Nathan

With that twist rate, I would try Minie or Maxi bullets.
Old December 27, 2012, 04:25 PM   #3
Doc Hoy

Congrats CM.

You are on the way.
Old December 27, 2012, 05:11 PM   #4
Strafer Gott

I'd start out with 70gr of Pyrodex under a thin prelubed patch with a .490 Pb roundball. I say a thin patch like .010 because some Pedersoli rifles are tight bored and can be hard to start the ball down the bore. Get yourself a ball starter to help.
You absolutely must push the patched ball all the way down to the powder for safety. Make it easy on yourself until you get a feel for your rifle and what it likes for patch thickness. You can ram a ball with a thin patch where you can't with one too thick. The range is not the place to learn this.
Old December 27, 2012, 05:34 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Suggest you pick up a copy of Lyman's Black Powder Handbook. Your library may have it and if not, you can get it through interlibrary loan.
Old December 27, 2012, 06:53 PM   #6
deerslayer303

CONGRATULATIONS! yes indeed!! Nice Rifle. Def. get you some literature. Or do what I did, go on youtube and watch EVERY how to video on black power rifles. Loading, Safety, etc. good luck and let us know how she shoots.
Old December 27, 2012, 06:58 PM   #7
chickenmcnasty

You guys are great
I would be lost without all off the help

Old December 27, 2012, 07:37 PM   #8
deerslayer303

First order of business

Is to get some pics on this here thread STRAIGHT AWAY
Old December 27, 2012, 08:21 PM   #9
chickenmcnasty

Here are some pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kentucky1.jpg (50.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg kentucky2.jpg (49.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg kentucky3.jpg (53.8 KB, 35 views)
Old December 28, 2012, 12:15 AM   #10
arcticap

That's a beautiful rifle!
The Pedersoli manual recommends using a .010 patch, a .490 round ball and 50 - 100 grains of powder with their .50 Kentucky.
Old December 28, 2012, 02:49 AM   #11
shortwave

The 'addiction' has begun!

A most beautiful rifle indeed.

Quote:
The Pedersoli manual recommends using a .010 patch, a .490 round ball and 50 - 100 grains of powder with their .50 Kentucky.
And you'll find the rifles 'sweet spot' somewhere in between going up in 5grn. increments. IMO, the secret is consistency in the loading process. If you have a string of good shots, remember what you have done to obtain them.
I.E:
Did you swab before each shot?

Did you tamp your powder(pouring powder down barrel and settling powder by hitting side of breech area with palm of your hand) between each shot?

How much seating pressure did you use?

Again, all about finding out what the rifle likes and repeating that loading process with consistency.

The biggest thing is to have fun !

Last edited by shortwave; December 28, 2012 at 03:07 AM.
Old December 28, 2012, 08:30 AM   #12
chickenmcnasty

What size caps will i use? My manual is very generic

Old December 28, 2012, 01:56 PM   #13
chickenmcnasty

I picked up some no. 11 caps and triple 7 powder as they were out of pyrodex. Hopefully the caps will fit

Old December 28, 2012, 02:57 PM   #14
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Caps are OK. Powder choice is questionable. Triple 777 is the powder of choice for most in-lines. Have never used triple 777 in my Traditional rifles. Just Gorex Black >2-FF, 3-FFF, and Pyrodex R/S.
Old December 28, 2012, 03:20 PM   #15
Sure Shot Mc Gee

You probably won't be able to return the Triple 777 to the store. As most stores won't accept powder returns. ( I would ask though just to make sure) So just keep it. Maybe sell it later down the road to some other inline shooter. Or perhaps the day will come when you may want to try a in-line yourself. Kept covered with a tight cap. Triple 777 won't spoil that's for sure. No Harm-No foul. Just down $23.00 and change in the wallet is all._ BY the way next time you go to buy Caps. Look at CCIs #11-Mag caps. A very good cap its been for me over the years. A little hotter than Standard #11s for a few more pennys per tin is all. (CCI #11-Mag caps)
Old December 28, 2012, 05:16 PM   #16
deerslayer303

Doo hickey

What is that doo hickey collar thingy around the nipple fer?? Oh sweet looking rifle. I want a Kentucky now. Love the way the wood goes all the way to the end on them.
Old December 28, 2012, 06:23 PM   #17
shortwave

Sure Shot,

It's not my fav. powder but I've used 777 in most of my hammer guns and just like Pyrodex, have not had any ignition problems.

Just remember chicken, you must reduce the amount of 777 used by 15% compared to other powders such as Pyrodex. Triple Seven is about 15% 'hotter' then other conventional powders.
Old December 28, 2012, 06:25 PM   #18
chickenmcnasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sure Shot Mc Gee View Post
You probably won't be able to return the Triple 777 to the store. As most stores won't accept powder returns. ( I would ask though just to make sure) So just keep it. Maybe sell it later down the road to some other inline shooter. Or perhaps the day will come when you may want to try a in-line yourself. Kept covered with a tight cap. Triple 777 won't spoil that's for sure. No Harm-No foul. Just down $23.00 and change in the wallet is all._ BY the way next time you go to buy Caps. Look at CCIs #11-Mag caps. A very good cap its been for me over the years. A little hotter than Standard #11s for a few more pennys per tin is all. (CCI #11-Mag caps)
Well crap. Is it unsafe to use in my rifle? Or is it just a reliability issue?

Old December 28, 2012, 06:31 PM   #19
chickenmcnasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayer303 View Post
What is that doo hickey collar thingy around the nipple fer?? Oh sweet looking rifle. I want a Kentucky now. Love the way the wood goes all the way to the end on them.
I have no clue!

Old December 28, 2012, 07:06 PM   #20
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
Well crap. Is it unsafe to use in my rifle? Or is it just a reliability issue?
Well like I said I haven't used triple 777 in my rifles. (All of which are Traditional style weapons,) so I don't know of any 777 shortcomings that may exist when used in a Traditional application. But according to shortwave he has used it. Perhaps your questions (above) should be directed to shortwave. I'm sure He has the answers your looking for in regards to your situation. (or read the next quote below)

From what I know about 777 chickenmcnasty comes from a few friends who are in-line shooters. Their rifles are ignited with 209 primers. Not #11 caps. Its their powder of choice. Not mine.

Quote:
Per shortwave's thread (seen above): Sure Shot,

It's not my fav. powder but I've used 777 in most of my hammer guns and just like Pyrodex, have not had any ignition problems.

Just remember chicken, you must reduce the amount of 777 used by 15% compared to other powders such as Pyrodex. Triple Seven is about 15% 'hotter' then other conventional powders
So with that said. I guess all you have to remember is to drop your volume charge rate 15% when using Triple 777 in a Traditional application. That's not that hard to accomplish is it.

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; December 28, 2012 at 07:45 PM. Reason: To add shortwave's comment thread..
Old December 28, 2012, 07:24 PM   #21
Hawg

Quote:
What is that doo hickey collar thingy around the nipple fer?
Its a flash cup. Its supposed to keep sparks and shards of cap out of your face but its an aggravating POS.
Old December 28, 2012, 08:53 PM   #22
deerslayer303

[QUOTEIts a flash cup. Its supposed to keep sparks and shards of cap out of your face but its an aggravating POS.][/QUOTE]

Yeah I was thinking that it must be a P.I.T.A to get a cap on with that thing on there. And it doesn't look like you can use a capper either. Or can you?
Old December 28, 2012, 08:57 PM   #23
chickenmcnasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortwave View Post
Sure Shot,

Just remember chicken, you must reduce the amount of 777 used by 15% compared to other powders such as Pyrodex. Triple Seven is about 15% 'hotter' then other conventional powders.
Great info. I will try some of the 777 but i'm sure i will be tinkering with others as well.

Old December 28, 2012, 09:00 PM   #24
Hawg

You can use a capper.
Old December 28, 2012, 11:18 PM   #25
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Well chickenmcnasty. It appears your back on the straight and narrow path again with shortwaves comments and Hawg Haggen's suggestion of a Capper for your #11 caps. I have to say that pedersoli Kentucky 50 cal sure is a beauty isn't it. If it were me. That's such a pretty rifle I would hang it somehow on the wall so I could look at it anytime. Come back and let us know how you did shoot'en that 50 of yours. We 'all here will get a kick out that.

Be safe now.

S/S