The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 10, 2007, 11:03 AM   #1
smithrob75

My First Class III

I've researched guns a while, have a clean record (and CHL), a little cash to blow and and Living Trust to transfer it into. Just wanted to see what you guys think about this gun compared to what you've seen (finish, features, condition, etc) I was looking at Mac originally and couldn't buy (just didn't feel well made) , also the UZI's were uncomfortable to me. (I hate the grip safety) The MP5 felt the best, also the dealer seems to come highly rated and has been in business for 27 years (he also lives 5 miles from my house)

Well anyways, here's the exact gun. Check out the pictures

http://www.westernfirearms.com/wfc/hkmp5?set=48

I liked the S,1,3,Full option.
Old October 10, 2007, 11:41 AM   #2
GalilARM

"There's no itch that a H&K MP5 can't scratch.."
Old October 10, 2007, 12:48 PM   #3
shaggy

Quote:
"There's no itch that a H&K MP5 can't scratch.."
Perhaps so, but while the MP5 may scratch the itch, beltfeds obliterate it.

That said, if you've got the scratch, I'd get the MP5, especially if its a sear gun. I'd skip it if its a registered receiver (either push pin or clip on lower). The MP5 is a great SMG, no doubt, but considering the $15k-18k an MP5 is going to run compared to a $7k or so for an uzi or a $3k-4k for a Mac type, its not worth it for a gun dedicated to only a pistol caliber. Personally, I prefer the Uzi - far less moving parts, reliable as a hammer, very sturdy and durable. Mags for the Uzi are less expensive and more widely available as are spare parts. Properly modified, Macs are not that bad of a gun - they can (and have) won SMG competitions over shooters with MP5's and other more expensive subguns.
Old October 10, 2007, 01:36 PM   #4
GeorgeF

I agree - MP5 looks very nice - havent fired one myself though. If it hadnt been for Shaggy letting me play with his HK I wouldnt have fired anything full auto past 1953. All my stuff is old. But everything I have heard about the MP5 is very positive - enjoy it!!

I agree on getting an Uzi - although I havent fired one yet. Cheap and I can get a .22 conversion kit which saves $$$$$$$$$. All I need to do now is get some money for my Thompson.

Hey there Shaggy - when's our next PA Full Auto outing? I'll have to check with those guys.
Old October 10, 2007, 03:09 PM   #5
Hkmp5sd

If you've got the money, get what you want. If you want an MP5 and buy the Uzi, you'll never be satisfied and will always regret it. I've got the Mac, Uzi and MP5 and the MP5 is by far more enjoyable to shoot. It's only money. I'd dump $20k on a P90 if the government would let me have one.

NRA Life Member
Old October 12, 2007, 02:52 PM   #6
LiquidTension7

I've fired plenty of MP5s and Uzis. You know what I like the best? M11/9 with Lage Max-11 upper. While I've never had an MP5 malfunction in my hands, I've seen it plenty of times - most recently at the silencertalk.com shoot last month. I've never had a problem with Uzis. The only time my Max-11 has given me problems was because of the zytel magazines. I've since ordered 5 Recon Ord mags so that problem is fixed.

I'll be the first to admit that the MP5 is definitely more aesthetically pleasing than the others - though I do think the Max-11 looks
Old October 13, 2007, 12:44 PM   #7
scoobabob94

sorry to hijack this thread but whats the difference between a registered reciever and a sear gun?
Old October 13, 2007, 02:20 PM   #8
shaggy

Like every modern firearm, every NFA weapon hasa serial number. That weapon/serial number has to be registered with the NFA Branch of BATFE and have an unbroken chain of ownership. On most, this is the serial number of the gun itself or the receiver/frame. Sears are small parts that were registered because althought they are not complete firearms or receivers, they nevertheless fit into the statutory definition of a "machinegun" which includes a part or parts designed and intended to convert a gun to a machinegun.

In an HK, for example, the registered sear sits inside the trigger box in the grip frame. That small part is (under the law) a machinegun by itself. When installed into the host firearm, it makes the firearm run full auto. While the sear or registered part is installed, the host gun has the same legal status as a machinegun. You can remove the sear or registered part and put it into another similar host firearm, but once removed the host firearm (now without the registered part) has to comply with the law as any other semi-auto firearm would.