The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 10, 2013, 06:01 AM   #26
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm going to make this a sticky thread for awhile.

I'm reminded of Browning's recall of just about every .40 High Power that they released in the first year.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 10, 2013, 06:36 AM   #27
Fishing_Cabin

I guess I am odd man out on this one... I would not have a problem at all buying from this company. Why? They are standing up and trying to do the right thing with the recall. A recall/payment is better then ignoring a problem.
Old September 10, 2013, 07:34 AM   #28
zincwarrior

Quote:
I can't say I am the least bit surprised, nor do I understand the desire to throw money away on a company with little to no established track record. On top of that factor in where they are based and it all added up to a big zero interest from me.

I politely kept my mouth shut during all of the gushing over the Arabic swooped gLoCk and was proven correct.
Agreed.
Old September 10, 2013, 07:53 AM   #29
Dashunde

^ Me too.
New companies are supposed to build their reputations on good quality and value above those of their established competitors.

There are just a few parts in a gun that can not be allowed to fail, the slide is one of them as its almost certain to smash the shooter in the face when it comes apart.
They failed miserably.
Old September 10, 2013, 08:18 AM   #30
1DrnkMxR

I believe in second chances, I'll wait for the new models and get one.
Old September 12, 2013, 12:06 AM   #31
Mr nobody

KIndly find below the link to our local forum where a member was injured due to the slide failure. It is second incident for C model which have been reported, although it is believed that there are many other such incidents have gone un noticed.
http://www.pakguns.com/showthread.ph...orted-incident

first incident
http://www.pakguns.com/showthread.ph...AD-AND-BE-SAFE
Old September 12, 2013, 06:02 AM   #32
Urban_Redneck

Quote:
That really bites. I have an F that was recalled and replaced. I also have a C. Really like the guns. The new ones look interesting. I'll give em another shot.
^^Same boat ^^

A slide should not fail like the two we've seen on Pakguns. What kind of ammo are they shooting in Pakistan? I've shot over 400 Ranger +P rounds and 1500 more standard pressure through my C without incident.
Old September 12, 2013, 06:05 AM   #33
Mr nobody

Most of the time it is Chinese Red Box what we call it here along with S&B
Old September 12, 2013, 09:40 AM   #34
Glenn E. Meyer

Quote:
As to the information itself, wow. I have never heard of a recall like this where the manufacturer states there is no possible fix and all firearms must be returned. Idk how a company recovers from news like this.
IIRC, the South African Vektor - which looked like a ray gun - was also a safety disaster and declared unfixable.

The pakgun pictures of a guy who got hit in the face isn't good advertising.
Old September 12, 2013, 10:02 AM   #35
Dashunde

I cant figure out why they're saying it cant be fixed?
The website says its due to a bad heat treating, and apparently the slides are coming apart at the thin left side and through the ejection port on the right (obviously the weakest section of any auto pistol).

Why not simply replace all slides with new redesigned beefed up and properly manufactured & heat treated slides?
Recalling and junking all of them seems worse for their reputation than correcting the problem.

What else is wrong with the gun causing it to be junked altogether?
Old September 12, 2013, 10:07 AM   #36
carguychris

Quote:
What kind of ammo are they shooting in Pakistan? I've shot over 400 Ranger +P rounds and 1500 more standard pressure through my C without incident.
The Pakguns thread shows a pistol (or pistols) with the slide tidily broken in two across the ejection port, but no appreciable damage to the barrel.

Shooting overpressure ammo normally results in barrel and specifically chamber damage. This may simultaneously damage the slide, but it normally bulges outward rather than breaking in half so neatly. I've seen a BHP with a slide that broke due to an overpressure round; the barrel had ruptured from the breech to about 1" forward, and the sides of the slide had been noticeably pushed out laterally before they failed.

I believe that the problem is that the Caracal slide is too weak to withstand repeated battering against whatever part limits its rearward travel. IOW I don't think the slide is breaking the moment the round fires; I believe it's breaking as it cycles back.

Last edited by carguychris; September 12, 2013 at 10:11 AM. Reason: minor reword...
Old November 4, 2013, 05:42 PM   #37
RX-79G

These look a lot like Steyr M pistols. I recall reading a debate about whether the unblocked, cocked striker system on a flexible framed polymer pistol had led to some ADs, and now Caracal has some, too.

Maybe the decision the refund came from the realization that replacement slides weren't going to 100% address the mechanical safety problems.
Old November 6, 2013, 10:53 PM   #38
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...whether the unblocked, cocked striker system...
The Caracal system uses neither an unblocked striker nor a cocked striker.
Old November 7, 2013, 02:56 AM   #39
leadcounsel

The XDs, and now this.

Exactly why I'm not a beta tester.
Old December 1, 2013, 09:51 PM   #40
TxFlyFish

Shouldn't have sold my C QS, now it's rare
Old December 4, 2013, 01:38 AM   #41
skizzums

you cant say they wont get though this, just look at sccy, they didnt have a (no fix) situation, but nearly everyone who had a 1st gen had it in the shop half a dozen tines

i hope its not the end anyway
Old December 8, 2013, 12:38 PM   #42
Slotback

At one time I was highly interested in getting a Caracal. It looked to have a lot of potential.
Old November 2, 2014, 06:38 PM   #43
Ace_Breaker

Four months and still no sign of my refund check. Any thoughts of buying a Steyr/ Caracal in the future are dwindling fast. It is just bad customer service to hold my money this long.
Old November 3, 2014, 12:48 AM   #44
JohnKSa
Staff

I can't remember exactly how long it took me to get mine, but it certainly wasn't fast. Hang in there.
Old January 18, 2016, 12:58 PM   #45
Uncle Malice

Not sure if you guys saw, but Caracal has relaunched the new model F at SHOT! Looks much the same, but promises to fix the prior issues.

I know a lot of you were pretty interested in these when they were out before. Looks like we'll get another shot with them.
Old January 18, 2016, 11:26 PM   #46
JohnKSa
Staff

I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for one.
Old March 4, 2016, 04:28 PM   #47
+1k ammo

I had a model F - the full size. Nice gun. No problems ever and very accurate.

They - Caracal told me they were going to repair/replace when a new shipment came in. I waited for like 6 months and had to call some office in U.S. They finally said do you just want your money back and so I finally sent the gun back and got my money.

Was a little irritating working with a small office as there was only phone calls etc. But they did come through.

I wouldn't say no to another, but these days I like guns that have a lot of support or aftermarket - like Glock or an AR-15 with parts all over the place. This one - nothing - except that small little office in like Georgia or some place?