The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 1, 2013, 07:21 AM   #1
Wtlj

1st 10/22 build recommendations!

Hi, first post here and what a great forum so happy to have found it.

I have a plain black /stainless 10/22 carbine that I'm bored with. I've been researching a bit and would like to change out the barrel and stock. I will be using this gun for fun plinking and the occasional small varmint hunt in the woods.
I think I'm set on a 18" stainless fluted green mountain .920 barrel, but need help with stock.
I want a stock I don't have to worry about staying perfect. Here's the 2 I'm contemplating:
Hogue overmold
Boyds tacticool
The hogue has a forgiving rubber finish while the boyds can be refinished if scratches as its laminate and comes raw. I'm planning on buying a bipod off shopruger.com this week and upswing my bushnell 4-12x40 off my new savage combo gun ( if its not to big a d ugly for the 10/22).
I'm not looking for a backpack gun but don't want it so heavy it's no fun on the occasional squirrel hunt so maybe I'm in the wrong category.
Anyone have any experience with both of these stocks.
Thanks
Old March 1, 2013, 08:20 AM   #2
Rimfire5

Biggest improvement you can make is to get a Kidd trigger group. You can order either a single stage (hunting) or double stage (target shooting) with trigger pull set to your preference.
http://www.coolguyguns.com/

Check out their barrels too, especially since they usually have a combination barrel-trigger group deal. The 20 inch match barrel is my favorite.

I built two Ruger based conversions with Butler Creek and Green Mountain barrels, and Volquartsen trigger groups when I started tuning my 10-22s.
The conversions shot great and I was pleased until I eventually tried the Kidd parts. They are extremely well machined and are worth the money.

Then I added a Kidd barrel and trigger group and the accuracy got even better.

I eventually got a Kidd receiver and the rest of the Kidd parts and built an all Kidd rifle and never looked back.

The Kidd outshoots either of the 10/22 conversion that I did and until I built the Kidd, I thought they were world beaters. Now they are awaiting conversion to full Kidd versions.
Old March 1, 2013, 12:20 PM   #3
scottycoyote

im in the middle of a 1022 build, you may want to check in to rimfirecentral.....all things 22 and especially 1022's can be found there, great guys.

Ive got 2 of the hogues, i like them fine but ive heard some complaints, they change with the weather (stiff when cold, more rubbery when hot) so it can effect poi. Also if you are going to use a clip on bipod ive heard it can bind the stock some. I do like the feel of them but if you are an accuracy freak you may rethink
Old March 1, 2013, 02:46 PM   #4
wnycollector

I own three 10/22's. Two sport Green Mountain barrels and Boyds stocks (Tacticool and Blaster) plus they have Volquartsen target hammer's to reduce trigger pull. The third 10/22 is set up as a sleeper It looks totally stock except that it went to CT-Precision
for a full tune-up (trigger job, barrel and bolt work)

All three will three will shoot dime sized groups at 50 yards with CCI SV.
Old March 1, 2013, 04:37 PM   #5
Panfisher

I went through the desire to "build" a 10/22, purchased an Adams & Bennet .920 target barrel and used my factory wood stock I believe the final recipe was a 3/4 PVC pipe wrapped in sandpaper to open up the barrell channel sufficiently. I ended up bedding the barrel to the stock near the end of the forearm section with some liquid steel / JB weld type stuff. Stained the wood stock and shot a coat of Poly over it. Shot and worked fine, just finally got to the point where I enjoyed the original configuration better. Purchased a factory takeoff stock on Rimfire central and returned it to is original. Still have the barrell and stock sitting in a corner maybe some day I'll put it back on for a while.
Old March 1, 2013, 08:16 PM   #6
Wtlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimfire5 View Post
Biggest improvement you can make is to get a Kidd trigger group. You can order either a single stage (hunting) or double stage (target shooting) with trigger pull set to your preference.
http://www.coolguyguns.com/

Check out their barrels too, especially since they usually have a combination barrel-trigger group deal. The 20 inch match barrel is my favorite.

I built two Ruger based conversions with Butler Creek and Green Mountain barrels, and Volquartsen trigger groups when I started tuning my 10-22s.
The conversions shot great and I was pleased until I eventually tried the Kidd parts. They are extremely well machined and are worth the money.

Then I added a Kidd barrel and trigger group and the accuracy got even better.

I eventually got a Kidd receiver and the rest of the Kidd parts and built an all Kidd rifle and never looked back.

The Kidd outshoots either of the 10/22 conversion that I did and until I built the Kidd, I thought they were world beaters. Now they are awaiting conversion to full Kidd versions.
You could be a Kidd salesman! That sounds very tempting. After I recover from the stock and barrel purchase ill look into trigger!
Old March 1, 2013, 08:17 PM   #7
Wtlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottycoyote View Post
im in the middle of a 1022 build, you may want to check in to rimfirecentral.....all things 22 and especially 1022's can be found there, great guys.

Ive got 2 of the hogues, i like them fine but ive heard some complaints, they change with the weather (stiff when cold, more rubbery when hot) so it can effect poi. Also if you are going to use a clip on bipod ive heard it can bind the stock some. I do like the feel of them but if you are an accuracy freak you may rethink
That's What I've been seeing a lot about the hogue stock while researching.
Old March 2, 2013, 03:29 AM   #8
sholling

For a hunter/plinker I'd invest in a light weight Tac-Sol or WhistlePig barrel and I'd send the trigger group to Clark Custom for an $85 2-1/2lb trigger job. I've had two done and they do a nice job. between the Hogue and the Tacticool I'd go with Boyd for the added rigidity.

Last edited by sholling; March 2, 2013 at 04:01 AM.
Old March 2, 2013, 04:00 AM   #9
TAKtical

Check out tacticalinc.com they make high quality barrels and replacement parts. Ive used them on several builds. They have an excellent selection. I wanted to replace some plastic parts (trigger, safety, mag release, trigger guard/housing) and they offer aluminum versions in several colors. They are also the only company I found that offered a 16.5" threaded fluted bull barrel. Bought one for a suppressed 10/22 project and I have been really happy with it. Also, if you are looking to build an iron sight 10/22, look at Nodak Spud. I use their irons and they are much better quality than tech-sights
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old March 3, 2013, 07:51 PM   #10
Wtlj

Any more recommendations before I buy the tacticool stock and green mountain 18" fluted barrel? I'm considering sending my trigger group in to brimstone or Clark instead of buying new any advice?
Old March 4, 2013, 06:32 AM   #11
TAKtical

A good 2lb trigger group is easy to put together yourself. Ive done it a dozen times with volquartsen parts and a tacticalinc trigger housing. Their housing has an adjustment screw for overtavel and volquartsen parts eliminate pre-travel.
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old March 4, 2013, 07:22 AM   #12
Wtlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKtical View Post
A good 2lb trigger group is easy to put together yourself. Ive done it a dozen times with volquartsen parts and a tacticalinc trigger housing. Their housing has an adjustment screw for overtavel and volquartsen parts eliminate pre-travel.
So you think I should do it myself? Could you give me a list of parts I need? Also what other parts should I change? Bolt, buffer...?
Old March 4, 2013, 07:14 PM   #13
Cy4ka

I always thought this was a neat idea:

http://www.gunslot.com/pictures/char...-1022-receiver

I've heard allot of complaints though about it.
Old March 4, 2013, 07:32 PM   #14
Wtlj

Ill look into that.
Old March 9, 2013, 11:08 AM   #15
Wtlj

After putting some thought into the build I decided to make it strictly for target/ plinking and when the market settles ill buy another one just for hunting. I'm going to keep saving money and change out most everything. I'm debating between sending my trigger and bolt to brimstone and que or upgrading them with new parts.
Old March 9, 2013, 12:45 PM   #16
TAKtical

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKtical
So you think I should do it myself? Could you give me a list of parts I need? Also what other parts should I change? Bolt, buffer...?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/163...gs-ruger-10-22

http://www.tacticalinc.com/stripped-...ng-p-1343.html

http://www.tacticalinc.com/billet-tr...��-p-1338.html

This would be a good start. The trigger and housing are optional, I dont like plastic parts so I bought these replacements. The hammer kit will give you an excellent trigger pull and I highly recommend that. Best $40 you could spend on a 10/22
-Tom&Tricia
Old March 10, 2013, 09:01 AM   #17
Wtlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKtical View Post
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/163...gs-ruger-10-22

http://www.tacticalinc.com/stripped-...ng-p-1343.html

http://www.tacticalinc.com/billet-tr...��-p-1338.html

This would be a good start. The trigger and housing are optional, I dont like plastic parts so I bought these replacements. The hammer kit will give you an excellent trigger pull and I highly recommend that. Best $40 you could spend on a 10/22
Thanks for the links its way easier than searching! So you think I should go that route over sending it in?

I wouldn't mind doing DIY upgrades I'm very hands On. My dad gave me a grand master action and trigger upgrade kit that I installed which included:
-bell & Carlson extended mag release
-automatic bolt release
-reduced power hammer spring
-reduced power trigger spring
-reduced power sear spring
-"match" oversize trigger sear pin
-blue max bolt buffer (hardened core)
-"match" hammer-trigger shims
Kit is supposed to reduce trigger pull by 48% and clean up play in trigger.

I just figured with how cheap the kit was $40 on eBay from a few years back that was still new in package he didn't use, it would be best just to pull all that out and start over with brimstone or better parts or should I use that as a starting point?
Old March 10, 2013, 01:42 PM   #18
Clark

I have modified (3) 10/22s for my own use.

There is no one answer for what or how to modify them.

Here is a book on the topic.
http://www.amazon.com/Customize-Ruge...cm_rdp_product

The things to look out for:
10/22 mags are hard to find or expensive right now.
The 22 mag and 17 HMR did now work out well for the 10/22
The 17M2 is not working out well for me in the 10/22, but I have not given up
22 ammo is hard to find right now.

What does it all mean?
There is no final answer to 10/22 mods, it is more of a life style.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old March 11, 2013, 07:01 PM   #19
Wtlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post
I have modified (3) 10/22s for my own use.

There is no one answer for what or how to modify them.

Here is a book on the topic.
http://www.amazon.com/Customize-Ruge...cm_rdp_product

The things to look out for:
10/22 mags are hard to find or expensive right now.
The 22 mag and 17 HMR did now work out well for the 10/22
The 17M2 is not working out well for me in the 10/22, but I have not given up
22 ammo is hard to find right now.

What does it all mean?
There is no final answer to 10/22 mods, it is more of a life style.
Yup, just trying to sift through some of the garbage.
Old March 12, 2013, 03:57 AM   #20
sholling

I've customized six 10/22s for myself (4 shown below). The top two were built as hunter/plinkers and what they have in common is a lightweight stock and lightweight aftermarket barrels for hauling around out in the weeds. The third has a weighted barrel and comfortable stock for off-hand target shooting and the fourth is setup for benchrest (2 & 4 have since traded triggers). My point is to match the build to the intended usage. A Green Mountain 920 and a good trigger in a Boyds Tacticool would make you a nice brenchrest rifle as well as a slightly heavy mobile plinker.

Just keep in mind that it takes more than just a parts swap, it'll take good ammo and more than a bit of tinkering to get the best accuracy out of your build. Once the bug bites it's a constant process of puttering and improving and for that reason I'd start with the barrel and stock and get used to it and refine your goals before putting a small fortune into the trigger but if you get serious about benchrest you'll eventually want a 2-stage Kidd and you'll eventually want to bed the receiver and 1-2" of barrel. Take your time and experiment and figure out what works best for you.

BTW for the mag release I recommend the Tac-Sol shown on 3 & 4.

Last edited by sholling; March 12, 2013 at 04:12 AM.
Old March 12, 2013, 08:54 PM   #21
Wtlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post
I've customized six 10/22s for myself (4 shown below). The top two were built as hunter/plinkers and what they have in common is a lightweight stock and lightweight aftermarket barrels for hauling around out in the weeds. The third has a weighted barrel and comfortable stock for off-hand target shooting and the fourth is setup for benchrest (2 & 4 have since traded triggers). My point is to match the build to the intended usage. A Green Mountain 920 and a good trigger in a Boyds Tacticool would make you a nice brenchrest rifle as well as a slightly heavy mobile plinker.

Just keep in mind that it takes more than just a parts swap, it'll take good ammo and more than a bit of tinkering to get the best accuracy out of your build. Once the bug bites it's a constant process of puttering and improving and for that reason I'd start with the barrel and stock and get used to it and refine your goals before putting a small fortune into the trigger but if you get serious about benchrest you'll eventually want a 2-stage Kidd and you'll eventually want to bed the receiver and 1-2" of barrel. Take your time and experiment and figure out what works best for you.

BTW for the mag release I recommend the Tac-Sol shown on 3 & 4.

Wow great right up and even nicer guns. You've got the touch! I've heard that the tac sol mag relases are sloppy when there's a mag inserted is that true? What's the mag release in picture 2 I like its sleek look. I think I've finally picked everything out but haven't ordered anything yet, let me know what you think.

Stock: boyds tacticool
Barrel: 18" .920 SS Green Mountain
Trigger: brimstone tier 2
Bolt: Que rework
Charging handle: kidd
Guide rod and spring: kidd
Bolt buffer: kidd
Magazine release: ???
Scope: ???
I plan to polish and jewl my receiver, bolt and trigger myself, should be a fun project. Any other advice or things I should add to the mechanicals?
Old March 13, 2013, 09:22 AM   #22
Picher

Some things that should be considered in modifying a 10-22:

The mainspring is a weak part of the design. As the gun gets dirty, FTFs can occur due to a combination of weak spring, wide firing pin nose, and generous headspace. Nobody should put in a weaker hammer spring because even if you don't experience FTFs, weak firing pin strikes may result in inconsistent ignition and poor accuracy, especially vertical stringing on targets.

The firing pin nose narrowing is easy to fix, if you know what you're doing. Likewise, the headspace can be reduced by grinding or milling the boltface, very carefully, but not less than .042" headspace, or slamfires can occur.

There are lots of other mods that can increase accuracy, including pillar bedding, but don't try this rifle as your first. It can get glued-in very easily, and the stock can be damaged when trying to remove the action.

JP
Old March 13, 2013, 06:41 PM   #23
sholling

Quote:
Wow great right up and even nicer guns. You've got the touch! I've heard that the tac sol mag relases are sloppy when there's a mag inserted is that true? What's the mag release in picture 2 I like its sleek look. I think I've finally picked everything out but haven't ordered anything yet, let me know what you think.
Thanks. I haven't found the Tac-Sol all that loose and it works. The beauty of the Tac-Sol lever is that all you have to do is extend the "expressive" finger of your shooting hand and the magazine drops out really speeding up reloads when you take an Appleseed course (recommended). Pic 2 shows a Kidd 2-stage trigger with matched Kidd mag lever style release.

Quote:
Stock: boyds tacticool
Barrel: 18" .920 SS Green Mountain
Trigger: brimstone tier 2
Bolt: Que rework
Charging handle: kidd
Guide rod and spring: kidd
Bolt buffer: kidd
Magazine release: ???
Scope: ???
I plan to polish and jewl my receiver, bolt and trigger myself, should be a fun project. Any other advice or things I should add to the mechanicals?
Brimstone did two of my Mini-14s' triggers and they exceeded expectations. The bolt on the other hand is the very least important upgrade and can wait if it means freeing up more money for the trigger which is really a big deal.

For hunting scopes I like the Weaver RV7 2.5-7x28 rimfire, Leopold VX-1 2-7x28 rimfire, or a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 rimfire. These are good quality fast on target fixed focus scopes. For benchrest I like a Weaver V24 6-24x40 w/AO and for a compromise between a hunting and target scope either an RV9 3-9x32 rimfire w/AO or a V16 4-16x40 w/AO. Check Natchez for some great prices on the V16 and V24. #1 is wearing a Weaver RV9, #3 is wearing a Prostaff 3-9x40 rimfire, and #4 is topped by a Weaver V24 with a varmint reticle. Don't skimp on the quality of the scope!

Last edited by sholling; March 13, 2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old March 21, 2013, 08:05 PM   #24
Wtlj

Anyone have any experience with DNZ, talley, or Weigand scope rings.
Old March 21, 2013, 11:06 PM   #25
sholling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wtlj
Anyone have any experience with DNZ, talley, or Weigand scope rings.
I've used DNZ on a 10/22 and on centerfire rifles and Talley on centerfires. DNZ work well if your scope has long enough tubes to give the fore and aft adjustment you need to get your eye relief right but I find they look best with big scopes. I really prefer Burris Signature Zee on a Weaver base. Neither need to be lapped but the Burris gives you for flexibility in mounting the scope. Since the rifle already comes with a Weaver base the cost should be a wash.

DNZ mount.

Burris Signature Zee on a Weaver base.