The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 28, 2022, 11:41 AM   #1
MuzzleBlast

Location: Arkansas. Much better place since Bill and Hillary went home.
9mm "Sterling" brand Turkish ammo any good?

Anyone have experience with 9mm "Sterling" brand Turkish-made ammo?

Molwn labe!
Old July 5, 2022, 07:45 AM   #2
zippyfusenet

I shot a 50 round box of Sterling 9mm FMJ at the range last week. No malfunctions. I didn't notice any problems. It threw some sparks from the muzzle. It was the cheapest that range had, about $22/box. I can get a better price buying other brands in bulk.
Old July 5, 2022, 09:51 AM   #3
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyfusenet View Post
I shot a 50 round box of Sterling 9mm FMJ at the range last week. No malfunctions. I didn't notice any problems. It threw some sparks from the muzzle. It was the cheapest that range had, about $22/box. I can get a better price buying other brands in bulk.

Given what you can find that ammo for online, than range is making a healthy profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 19, 2022, 06:03 PM   #4
BillG174

I only buy American made ammo - everyone should

Freedom Is Not Free
SAF, GOA, Kansas State Rifle Association
Old July 19, 2022, 08:36 PM   #5
kenny53

Its good ammo.
Old July 20, 2022, 06:07 PM   #6
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzleBlast View Post
Anyone have experience with 9mm "Sterling" brand Turkish-made ammo?
It is good ammo. Lot better than white box Winchester. (IMO)
Never shot any bad Turkish ammo.
Old July 20, 2022, 06:21 PM   #7
TunnelRat

I took a shotgun course recently and one of the students was using all Sterling ammunition, birdshot, buckshot, and slugs. The birdshot was fine, the buckshot had quite the spread as we backed up but not unheard of, and the slugs were on the verge of dangerous. By 15 yd the slugs were on the edges of full-size cardboard targets. The student, who is an NRA instructor, couldn’t understand why he was shooting so poorly. He switched ammo to the Winchester slugs the other students were using and his groups tightened up dramatically. When we looked at the slugs we could see all of them were misshapen, throwing aerodynamics to the wind. This is my only experience with Sterling ammunition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 13, 2023, 10:47 PM   #8
secamp32

Warning

I guy in CO just posted 2 utube videos about his brand new Shadow Systems blowing up while shooting Sterling ammo. It may have been the gun or it may have been the ammo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnVf62hOt-g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WgXQozhJsU
Old March 14, 2023, 04:06 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Don't know about the ammo, no personal experience with it, but I suggest you check it to see if it is corrosive. What's written or not written on the box is not a guarantee, particularly with foreign made materials.

My personal test is to pull down one round, get a steel putty knife, put it in front of the muzzle and pop the primer so it sprays the putty knife blade.

Clean the gun as if it had fired corrosive ammo, and put the putty knife on a shelf for a day or three, then check it for rust. Corrosive primed ammo will have started the putty knife blade rusting.

Good luck!
Old December 10, 2023, 12:40 AM   #10
rc

Bad Turkish ammo has been showing up in 308 flavor as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ammo/commen...g_up_zsr_ammo/

I've used some IZQ 9mm available from wally world a few years ago and it had hard primers but was decent other than that. The 5.56 I tried was OK too but I think quality control in Turkey is lower than ammo from our domestic makers.
Old December 16, 2023, 07:15 PM   #11
Drm50

Shot some 9mm in several pistols. Brn HP, Kimber Solo, S&W 39 and S&W M&P. Had a couple hang fires that were unnerving. 1 dud, which is no big deal with QC on ammo. It seems to smoke and wasn’t very accurate. Smells like it’s loaded with Camel poo. About same quality as the Herters Cabelas peddles.
We have had no problems with Win White Box. The Brn HP is comp version and if you miss with it, it’s your fault. It gives us benchmark when trying out ammo.
Old December 16, 2023, 07:34 PM   #12
rc

I think herters was using Russian steel case in 223 and 7.62 russian. Have they switched country of origin now?
Old December 17, 2023, 03:32 PM   #13
Drm50

I may be wrong but I think Herters is repackaged from random buys. In other words they buy cheapest lot they can get at any given time. That may be over implication of some kind of open contracts.
Old December 17, 2023, 06:59 PM   #14
rmh3481

I think I would pass on any of the Turk Ammo. Ive heard of light charges and in this case, heavy charges. Ive also seen blown cases and dead primers. Looked like a double charge although in 9mm that would be compressed. Who knows. The Turk ammo has been having problems for a couple years now and I just wouldnt want any of those problems coming home with me. Stick with US made Winchester White Box, Fed, Rem or Blazer Brass.