Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 27, 2012, 04:07 PM   #51
giaquir

Massachusetts!

"We don't encourage self-help"
-Martha Coakley-
Old May 27, 2012, 08:39 PM   #52
bigalshootmupper

I will try to keep it one topic - I would report it, I live in GA, but I understand why others would hesitate to report. I work in a large corporation, used to work with 1000+ people from all over the world. Because I talk with many people, really talk to them about the rights of protection with firearms, you would be surprised how many people feel you shouldn't have a firearm to protect yourself. These people I talk to say that because you have a firearm, that you are the one who is making it too easy for people to use force upon others. I tell them that I have never used force on others and only carry to protect myself and my family. They say that there are too many guns in American and it is because of me that there is crime in America. If the majority of people feel that I am the cause of all of this crime, then I, too, would feel a little uneasy announcing to the world that I used my big bad weapon to defend myself. I should feel proud that I stood up to this evil that chooses to use these weapons to further their gain illegally, but knowing that there are a large group that want all people disarmed, including people like me and you, yes, I can see how you may not want to put on a police report that you carry a loaded weapon that can instantly kill someone. All I am trying to do is keep myself protected to the full extent of the law.
Old May 27, 2012, 10:40 PM   #53
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalshootmupper
...If the majority of people feel that I am the cause of all of this crime, then I, too, would feel a little uneasy announcing to the world that I used my big bad weapon to defend myself....
You're not announcing anything to the world. Your reporting to the police that you were the victim of a threat and that you lawfully and justifiably defended yourself. And you are doing so because it's your civic duty to report criminal conduct (the other guy's) and to head off and minimize the risk of a false accusation being made against you.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper