The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 25, 2011, 06:00 PM   #1
proxpilot

Sig P6 HP Feeding issue

My P6 is a 1981 model and i think it might be suffering from the hollow point feeding issue. the 3rd round in each magazine gets hung up on the feed ramp every time. Now im just wondering if a feed ramp polish and new mag springs might solve this? or is there something else a gunsmith might have to do?
Old March 25, 2011, 07:01 PM   #2
Ace_Breaker

Been in this situation before. A ramp polish, internals polish, spring changes did nothing to make it reliable with JHP. It's the angle of the feedramp and it needs fixing. www.customizedcreationz.com has experience fixing the issue.
Old March 25, 2011, 07:05 PM   #3
proxpilot

yeah i was just checking them out just in case. i might as well send it in to be refinished while it's there.
Old March 25, 2011, 07:12 PM   #4
Ace_Breaker

It didn't need the feedramp fix, but he did a very nice cerakote job on my P225 slide. He also did a Ruger LCP slide for me that I've been carrying 5 days a week, 9 hours a day, for 2 years with no visible wear still. Can't complain about that too much. Mine were done in the stainless color, it seems to be very durable and looks great.
Old March 25, 2011, 07:19 PM   #5
ohen cepel

I was thinking about going with PowerBall ammo in my P6 to avoid this possible issue. I know it's not the best solution, has anyone else tried PowerBall in their P6's yet?

Cost for the fix for std HP's?

Thanks!

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old March 25, 2011, 07:20 PM   #6
proxpilot

id be going with the stainless as well.
Old March 25, 2011, 07:21 PM   #7
proxpilot

Quote:
Cost for the fix for std HP's?
$50 at customized creations
Old March 25, 2011, 07:23 PM   #8
ohen cepel

prox,
Thanks! Great to know. I haven't been able to shoot it much since I got it but will keep that in mind. Love the pistol.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old March 25, 2011, 08:34 PM   #9
WVsig

What is the date on your P6? Which feed ramp does your gun have?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old March 26, 2011, 01:38 AM   #10
Chesster

I have a finnicky P6 but she will feed Rem UMC 115gr JHP ammo.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old March 26, 2011, 05:17 AM   #11
proxpilot

Quote:
What is the date on your P6? Which feed ramp does your gun have?
10/81 it looks like the one on the right. it always seems to be the 3rd one in the magazine that gets hung up. all the rest feed fine
Old March 26, 2011, 06:48 AM   #12
warpig602

An alternative wouold be to use round nosed self defense ammo such as the powerball, critical defense or even the new expanding FMJ federal is producing, guard do I think its called. These rounds have the profile and reliability of FMJ rounds with the expansion of HP's.
Old March 26, 2011, 07:22 AM   #13
1goodshot

Do you only have 1 mag? have you taken the mag and gun apart an cleaned it. I keep Hornady critical defense in mine they feed ok.
Old March 26, 2011, 11:39 AM   #14
proxpilot

i have two mags both hang up on the third round. critical defense is what im trying to cycle.
Old April 8, 2011, 05:47 PM   #15
stand watie

to all,

fwiw, "proxpilot" evidently has "the exception that proves the rule". = i'm a former SC State Constable & MANY Constables carry/shoot P6 of every vintage W/O a hitch with everything from "cheap reloads" to "flying ashtrays" W/O a hitch.
(SLED rules & SC law require that Constables carry .38SPL, .357Mag or 9mm.)

imVho, the "P6 feeding problem" is mostly a MYTH foisted off on owners to sell need-LESS gunsmithing. = my 04/82 P6 shoots EVERYTHING that i've tried it with.

my favorite is "Winchester 9JHP" 115 grain, which is ballistically identical to the GI hardball that i get free.

yours, sw
Old April 8, 2011, 06:00 PM   #16
lawnboy

Quote:
I have a finnicky P6 but she will feed Rem UMC 115gr JHP ammo
+1 with what Chesster says.

I have a 83 P6 with the old fashioned ramp shown on the right in the pic higher up in the thread. In mine Hornady Critical Defense was the best of the modern JHP's but still jammy. I never tried PowR Ball.

I believe the Remington designator for the UMC round Chesster is talking about is L9MM1. The same shape and weight round is sold under the Remington label as R9MM1. The ballistic tables I've seen for both rounds are identical which leads me to believe that the rounds are highly similar materially although there has to be a reason the UMC is half the price. I practice with the UMC and carry the Remington.

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her"-- W.C Fields
Old April 8, 2011, 11:07 PM   #17
greyeyezz

Federal 9BP usually feeds well in these guns.
Old April 9, 2011, 06:31 AM   #18
proxpilot

My feed ramp is in pretty rough shape the more i look at it. it's not very smooth and there are a couple nicks in it, must be where the HP's get caught. but customized creations is running a April sale over at Sigforum on refinishing, and 10% off all other work. im going to send it in and get everything done at once.
Old April 9, 2011, 09:44 PM   #19
chris in va

Quote:
mVho, the "P6 feeding problem" is mostly a MYTH foisted off on owners to sell need-LESS gunsmithing. = my 04/82 P6 shoots EVERYTHING that i've tried it with.
Well good for you. However there are plenty of P6 owners reporting a HP feeding issue and the ramp needs attention. The gun was never intended for anything other than FMJ and designed as such.
Old April 10, 2011, 10:57 AM   #20
stand watie

chris in VA,

did you note that i know of not even one SC State Constable, of the many that i know, that carry/shoot the P6, who have had "the supposed feeding problem"?
(we bought a goodly pile of P6 during a "group buy" = NICE pistols at about 275.oo delivered! - wishing i had bought several more!)

i wonder how many people have ACTUALLY had such a problem versus those who have heard of it & unthinkingly just passed the "common gossip" along to others?

note: on another "worldwidewierd forum", a "member-in-good-standing" finally admitted to me that he had NEVER even held a P6 in his hands, much less ever fired one, but stoutly told everyone in 3-4 submissions about "failures to feed HP bullets".

yours, sw

Last edited by stand watie; April 10, 2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old April 10, 2011, 11:31 AM   #21
wgsigs

Quote:
imVho, the "P6 feeding problem" is mostly a MYTH foisted off on owners to sell need-LESS gunsmithing. = my 04/82 P6 shoots EVERYTHING that i've tried it with.
A MYTH, I don't think so IMO. OVERSTATED? Possibly. I personally know of a couple of P6 owners who have had problems feeding SOME HPs so it is a fact in my observation that the problem does exists - just not sure how pervasive a problem. If it wasn't a "problem", then why did SIG bother to change the feed ramp angle in 1989?

With that said my 11/79 P6 has fed the TWO examples of HPs that I have tried. Neither round had a very severely truncated bullet nose though. Also, it looks like the feed ramp on my gun has been polished and worked on.
Old April 10, 2011, 01:59 PM   #22
Chesster

I have had 4 of the surplus jewels. Sold one. Two of the four choked on Speer and CorBons. One of those two choked on Fed 124gr HP. All fed the Rem 115gr JHP in premium or UMC boxed and the variety of FMJ ammo. This is data, not myth.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old April 10, 2011, 02:25 PM   #23
lawnboy

Not a myth for me either. The $200+ I spent on other JHP's before I found the Remington JHP perfectly reliable was very real to me.

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her"-- W.C Fields

Last edited by lawnboy; April 10, 2011 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old April 10, 2011, 02:32 PM   #24
Ridge_Runner_5

My P6 had the same issue, the only HPs it would feed reliably were Sellier & Bellot ammo...
Old April 10, 2011, 03:34 PM   #25
proxpilot

well mine locking up must be a mirage then.