The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old November 14, 2009, 11:34 PM   #1
FrankenMauser

8x57JS Mauser Lead/Gas Check bullet recommendations

I would like to revive my 8x57, and think my solution is gas checked lead.

Do any of you gas-checked rifle shooters have any recommendations for suppliers, pet loads, or loading techniques?

Are there any good "alternative" processes for swaging gas checks onto pre-cast bullets? (Such as swaging dies for standard reloading presses.)
I've dug around my books and the internet a bit, but haven't seen anything useful.

I sold off all of my reloading supplies, reloads, and ammo for the rifle, intending to sell the rifle itself. However, I couldn't let go of it. Now I am left with a rifle I only own 4 rounds of ammunition for.
I have several over-lapping cartridges that cover the 8x57's territory pretty well, so I'd like to make it something I take out for enjoyment, rather than just a hunting rifle.

In my mind, gas checked lead is the perfect fit.
Any help is appreciated. I just need an excuse to buy another set of dies, some brass, and bullets.

Last edited by FrankenMauser; November 15, 2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old November 25, 2009, 03:49 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

If you are economizing, Lee #90274 is a 175 grain 8 mm bullet with a gascheck base. It would be a place to start. It is .324" and would have to be sized down to .319" if you have the .318" 8mm bore? Lee's got a sizer that fits your loading press that would do that for you. It will also seat a gas check on its way into the die. I like to polish those Lee sizing dies up inside with a Dremel tool and felt bob with Dico Stainless Steel grade compound (Ace, Harbor Freight) which seems to be about ideal for hardened steel.

NEI would be another mold source to look at.

At this point I firelap any gun I intend to shoot lead in if it doesn't have a high finish bore already. It cuts fouling so dramatically it is worth it just for that.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 26, 2009, 04:54 PM   #3
snuffy

I have the 90274 lee mold. I cast some boolits out of wheel weights, loaded them way too stiff for my Turkish mauser. Meaning I should have done a 12 to 14 grain Unique load instead of the 4895 load I used. No leading, but the groups @ 50 yards were nothing to write home about.

Cast hard, they should be able to run at 2200 fps without leading. Frank, if you want to try some of my bullets, shoot me your addy via PM, I'll send you some.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 3, 2009, 02:53 PM   #4
xsquidgator

I've worked up to 38 grains of BL-C(2) under those Lee 170 grain cast water-quenched WW bullets. At 38 grains I chrono'd the bullets going 2183 fps and they still appeared to be spin-stabilizing. I did once load some up to about 2400 fps and they clearly were going too fast to stabilize, and just went all over the place like musket balls.

That is, they still sort of grouped although nothing great. I didn't see any real difference in group size in my K98 going from 1300 to 2200 fps.

I use (uncooked) cream of wheat case filler on top of the powder and under the bullet, and have never had even the slightest amount of leading while using cream of wheat. I was once keen on trying to make some sort of homemade gas check, like I've heard of a guy on eBay selling a punch and die set that lets you punch them out of soda cans. However the cream of wheat seems to serve as at least as good of a gas check as the metal piece that has to be crammed onto the bullet. The cream of wheat filler will also help remove leading from a barrel, in addition to preventing leading.
Old December 8, 2009, 07:15 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

Thanks for the replies.

Any recommendations for suppliers of pre-cast, gas checked projectiles?
Old December 15, 2009, 10:51 AM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

Try this. These are high end, extra hard (BHN 21), and are made to order, so you have to ask about any delay there may be?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 27, 2009, 05:07 PM   #7
sundog

If you make your own, this is the one to have:

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...ku=000068MMKAR