The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 14, 1999, 12:06 PM   #1
Rick Mountford

Soon to receive my new Para P16_Limited that I intend to use for IPSC.
Any one with decent loads that will make major in 165/180 FMJ and
170/175 Cast SWC, I would appreciate suggestions

Old March 20, 1999, 04:25 AM   #2
Walt Welch

Please see my posts on the hot .45 Colt loads and the .44 mag loads. There is a general search outline which allows you to obtain data directly from the manufacturers.

Be aware that the .40 S&W is a very volatile cartridge, and small changes in seating depth, or change of components, even a different lot of components can dramatically affect pressures.

Further, Accurate Arms has posted the following warning at their URL:

http://www.accuratearms.com/40.html
WARNING!!!

In recent years it has become very apparent that there exists a situation regarding some pistols chambered for the 40 S&W cartridge. Some of the pistols currently available to shooters may not provide complete support to the case when a cartridge is chambered.

The Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute (SAAMI) has established a maximum average pressure for the 40 S&W of 35,000 psi. The loading data published by Accurate Arms was developed in our ballistic laboratory in accordance with SAAMI test methods and equipment and does not exceed this figure. This information is safe for use in firearms which provide complete support of the case. Failure to fully support the case with cartridges of such intensity may result in bulged cases, ruptured cases, separated case heads or other consequences which may result in damage to the firearm and/or injury or death to the shooter and/or bystanders. This can happen no matter whose propellant is used.

If you own a firearm chambered for the 40 S&W, we recommend you contact the manufacturer to determine if the case is fully supported, or have a competent gunsmith examine the firearm and determine the amount of support provided the case. If your firearm does not provide complete support for the case, DO NOT USE Accurate Arms Company data or products to reload your 40 S&W ammunition.

This is the first time Accurate Arms Company has felt it necessary to place such a restriction on the use of our products, but the continued safety and welfare of the shooting public compels us to do so.

I suggest you use extreme caution in reloading this cartridge. Walt
Old March 20, 1999, 03:13 PM   #3
Rick Mountford

I appreciate the warning. Always use the utmost care in all my reloading. that was one of the reasons I went with Para Ord as they say their chambers are fully supported.
Old March 20, 1999, 05:16 PM   #4
WESHOOT2

Try: any case, 180g Rainier TMJ-FP, CCI500 primer, Alliant Power Pistol 6.6-6.9g, OAL as need for reliable feeding. DO NOT LOAD SHORTER THAN 1.130 ! (6.9g at OAL 1.135 makes Major in my EAA Witness)
Old March 25, 1999, 06:04 PM   #5
Cheapo

The Oregon Trail Bullet Co (Laser-Cast & the Silver Bullet guys) have a new loading manual for their super-hard bullets which includes THREE separate sections of .40 S&W data.

You may find their data for "long-loaded" .40s interesting. Feed reliability in M1911s is apparently better if they are loaded out longer than SAAMI specs.

At the risk of violating copyright, I'll share one published load with the powder of your choice.

OTBC lists NO "major" .40 S&W loads for unsupported chambers, but several for both supported chambers at std OAL, and for long-loaded. They tested their velocities in a Para-Ordinance, IIRC.
Old March 26, 1999, 07:00 AM   #6
Rick Mountford

Info for either Titegroup or WSF would be appreciated. do they have a website.
Old March 26, 1999, 08:57 PM   #7
ChrisLe

Rick, you should be able to find the reloading info for WSF at the companies respective websites. WSF from Winchester's site (I believe they have a downloadable reloading guide in pdf format)and Titegroup from Hogdon's site (I believe Hogdon makes Titegroup)

You'll find hyperlinks to both companies sites at the following url:

http://www.pla-net.net/~rcomer/ammo.htm

Hope this helps..

Old March 28, 1999, 04:27 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Walt, good info from Accurate Arms. This is an excellent example of design tradeoffs.

The gun maker wants somthing more powerful than 9mm, so goes to a .40 cartridge, but wants to save money by using it in a 9mm platform, but that means the cartridge has to be short and stubby, but short and stubby rounds need stubby bullets, and stubby bullets feed poorly in some pistols, so makers cut the feed ramp at a shallower angle, but that cuts into the chamber, and some of the case is unsupported, which wouldn't be a problem with low pressure, but they need high pressure to get performance and sell guns and ammo, and a different platform would cost more and be larger and so they use a 9mm platform and the cartridge is short and stubby... Isn't that where we came in?

(Owners and gunsmiths don't help by solving all feeding problems by cutting the ramp even shallower.)
Old July 5, 2005, 06:25 PM   #9
bigted

40 s&w

try v320 4.4 to 5.2 max i shoot 180 hp zero over 5.1 gr of320 very soft and acrt. out of my glock 35 limted
Old July 7, 2005, 01:01 AM   #10
Zak Smith

In my SV Limited gun (40), I use:

4.9gr Titegroup
180gr Montana Gold JHP
1.230" OAL (IMPORTANT)
any brass, WSR small rifle primer

Yields about 169PF.

This is not technically a "40 S&W" load since the OAL is WAY past spec, hence there is no spec to compare it to.
Old July 11, 2005, 02:31 AM   #11
MrApathy

spec would be closest to 10mm. suprised someone has not named it yet with either letter or name addition.

check the free bore before loading long.

www.bianenos.com or http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=73 which should take you to forum handloading section 40sw/10mm lots of data for making major and shooting competition
Old July 11, 2005, 11:33 AM   #12
Jeeper

Most common load is

~5gr of N320 or TG
180gr Zero or MG
~1.20 OAL
Old July 12, 2005, 08:51 PM   #13
mike4045

I start my loads around 4 gr of titegroup and work up. I use Zero 180 gr bullets and Win primers. I found that my para was very sensitive to crimp diameter around .418 to .420. Also had to lead reamed to allow long loaded ammo. I was loading to about 1.160 to 1.180 oal. Depends alot on what the gun likes.

Accurate #2 is also good, muzzle flash is very small. Really great if you shoot indoors or low light.

I used Laser cast for a while, but the cost was higher than jacketed bullets.

Mike