The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 29, 2012, 05:43 PM   #1
Firefighter88

Help

I need some help finding out what bullets, caps, and powder to use as well as what kind of gun I have. A friend gave me an old black powder rifle, 50 cal. Thompson Center Arms Renegade. All I know is that it says no smokeless powder on the barrel. Any tips or info appreciated.
Old September 29, 2012, 07:13 PM   #2
arcticap

TC caplock percussion guns use #11 percussion caps.
The rifle can be loaded with 2F or 3F black powder or equivalent black powder substitute such as Pyrodex RS (rifle/shotgun - 2F) or Pyrodex P (Pistol - 3F), or Hodgdon 777. Note to use 15% less powder by volume if loading with 777. Do not load it with the pellet form of propellants, use loose powder only.
Projectiles that can be loaded are first and foremost patched round balls. The standard ball size to use is a .490 with a lubed .015 patch.
Bore size .50 caliber conicals can also be fired but be aware that they are sometimes harder to load and using a starter and sometimes even a mallet can be helpful.
.50 saboted bullets can also be fired but the barrel may frequently need to be swabbed between each shot or loading becomes very difficult and accuracy suffers.
There's many accessories to buy and details to learn about the cleaning and safe operation of a muzzle loader. They mainly need to be thoroughly cleaned after each shooting session. And one needs to be prepared and know how to handle any problem that arises.
Here's a PDF copy of the TC sidelock owner's manual which should be read thoroughly before firing it.

http://www.tcarms.com/assets/manuals...owder_Guns.pdf

Is your friend available to teach you how to use it? I suggest to ask your friend to show you how to load it, fire it and clean if he knows how to do it.
Did it come with any accessories? Ammo and accessories that cost $50 - $75 or more may need to be purchased to be able to load, fire and clean it.
Are you sure that the barrel is in good shooting condition and that the gun is not currently loaded with powder and projectile?

Last edited by arcticap; September 29, 2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old September 29, 2012, 07:40 PM   #3
Hawg

What he said.^^^
Old September 29, 2012, 08:00 PM   #4
Firefighter88

The rod that pushes bullet down the barrel seems to be uncomfortably poking out a few inches, makes me leary of a projectile, and possibly powder in the barrel. How safe is the gun, how can it be removed safely if in there? Put a cap on and fire? Hope for the best, or maybe a safer method? I measured the rod against the barrel and when inserted, does not seem to go in all the way.
Old September 29, 2012, 08:23 PM   #5
Hawg

Pour some water down it. If it runs out the nipple it's not loaded. A ramrod in an empty barrel still wont go in flush. It will stick out a couple of inches.
Old September 30, 2012, 09:05 PM   #6
Firefighter88

Thanks for the help, I think within the links provided is all I needed to know.