The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 1, 2009, 12:48 PM   #1
jclayto

SC Bill S.593 - Questions for SC Residents

I guess this question is more for the SC folks since it is dealing with a new state law, but here we go. It appears that bill S.593 was ratified last week, you can see it here http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess118_.../bills/593.htm . I am surprised (maybe it's a good thing) that there has not been any mention of this in the media or on the discussion boards. Am I understanding correctly that this goes into effect immediately? The few times I have seen this mentioned it was mentioned as the "bill to allow parents to drop off children at school while carrying a concealed weapon" but if I am reading this correctly it should allow myself as a state university employee and a SC CWP holder, to leave my weapon stored in a a closed glove box in my locked car while I am at work on campus. Is this how you read/understand it?

I have checked scfirearms.org but their legislation watch page has not been update to mention this.

Thanks
Jon
Old June 1, 2009, 12:59 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

"Section 16-23-420. (A) It is unlawful for a person to possess a firearm of any kind on any premises or property owned, operated, or controlled by a private or public school, college, university, technical college, other post-secondary institution, or in any publicly-owned building, without the express permission of the authorities in charge of the premises or property. The provisions of this subsection related to any premises or property owned, operated, or controlled by a private or public school, college, university, technical college, or other post-secondary institution, do not apply to a person who is authorized to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 when the weapon remains inside an attended or locked motor vehicle and is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle."

If it's been signed by the governor, you're golden.
Old June 1, 2009, 05:24 PM   #3
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Discussion on the scfirearms Yahoo News Group has been constant. Join up and stay abreast of what's going on. Last I read was that Sanford will not sign it, but it goes into law Wednesday if he does not veto it. YMMV
Old June 2, 2009, 10:36 AM   #4
jclayto

Thanks, I have never had much luck with Yahoo so I did not bother signing up to view that board. I will take a look.

I was under the impression that when it said Ratified on May 27th, that meant that he signed it. Shows what I know right?
Old June 6, 2009, 07:41 AM   #5
Steeler Fan

Quote:
Time effective

SECTION 3. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.

Ratified the 27th day of May, 2009.

Approved the 2nd day of June, 2009. -- S.
This should answer your question as to when it starts - the day Governor Sanford signed it.