The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 21, 2007, 06:18 PM   #1
rush-2112

Mauser yugo 48

I have a nice yugo m48, and I would like to change the chambering to a more intresting cartridge. I was thinking .257 roberts ackley improved. One of my questions is, do standard mauser 98 barrels thread in or is this gong to be an exersice in futility?
(")_(") (")_(")
Old November 21, 2007, 06:47 PM   #2
srtrax

Your Mauser has 55 degree Witworth threads and yes a 60 degree thread will screw into the reciever. I would either have reciever tapped for 60 or barrel threaded for the 55 degree threads. This way you have more persentage of threads workinging in your favor. I'm a firm beliver that the threads on reciever and barrel should match ... Hope this has helped!
Old November 21, 2007, 07:21 PM   #3
rush-2112

What would be easier for an aspireing smith to do? Re-thread the reciever or the barrel.

Ted
(")_(") (")_(")
Old November 21, 2007, 08:01 PM   #4
srtrax

Brownell sells a tap for a 60 degree thread for the reciever and barrel blanks, or even short chambered barrels. If you have any machine shop skills one can grind his own 55 degree threader. You use the word aspiring smith, any smith with machining background shouldnt have any trouble, there is NO black magic to it. If one knows how to use measuring tool and keep measurements in tolerances then no problem. But, on the other hand if you dont know what your doing it can get you in trouble and even injury or death.
Old November 21, 2007, 08:03 PM   #5
srtrax

Changing the caliber would mean changing the barrel, this i hope you already know, and the 257 roberts is a good round!
Welcome to the forum!!!
Old November 22, 2007, 02:55 PM   #6
Jimro

Yes the Yugo m48 take a standard Large Ring barrel.

Jimro
Old November 22, 2007, 03:18 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Yes. 10 TPI Whitworth thread. Brownells sells the tap, but also sells 55° pre-ground lathe tool bits. An alternative is to buy a barrel pre-contoured with a roughed short chamber, so all you need to do is put the barrel on the receiver and finish ream it. That is about the only expedient course of action if you want to do it yourself and don't have a lathe. The final reaming to size can be done with a reamer on a T-handle through the bolt way. You will need the reamer, handle, and a headspace GO gauge to complete the task.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 22, 2007, 06:43 PM   #8
rush-2112

WOW!!! Thanks for all the information! I am going to try and do this over the winter and after the gun season.

Thanks
Ted
(")_(") (")_(")
Old November 22, 2007, 06:55 PM   #9
srtrax

The Mausers i have barreled all had 12 threads per inch, never ran across any with 10 tpi, and it can be done without a lathe but what APITA that would be. Good tools = a good job!
Old November 22, 2007, 10:33 PM   #10
Harry Bonar

Strax:
Right on buddy! (I'm sure Nick meant 12 TPI>)
Harry B.

Last edited by Harry Bonar; November 22, 2007 at 10:36 PM. Reason: text
Old November 23, 2007, 05:16 PM   #11
srtrax

I"m sure he did and i didnt mean to sound like an a$$, just that so far to that point i noticed no mention of the number of TPI, but i still say doing a barrel without equiptment would be a PITA!
Old November 23, 2007, 06:31 PM   #12
Harry Bonar

threads

srtrax:
I had trouble with Brownells technical department (HA!) about Turkish model 38 Mausers.
They said they found one with an 11 1/2 thread! I told them that was a machining error (guy had his point in threading boss in the wrong hole) and they denied that. Upon my further badgering them on the Turk 38 they cerrosafed the action threads - 12TPI! They wrote me back saying, "I had humbled them." but they refused to correct their technical site - I don't have much respect for them now - yea I still order stuff but tech,' no! No!
Harry B.

Turk 38 thd. is .980 dia. X 12TPI.

Last edited by Harry Bonar; November 23, 2007 at 06:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old November 23, 2007, 07:19 PM   #13
rush-2112

Well this is great gentleman! I appreciate all the infornation that was given. The next question is, does this seem to be a doable project for a very rookie smith? I did a very nice trigger job on it and a minor refinish on the wood. But, is a complete rebarrel job something for me to try?

Ted
(")_(") (")_(")
Old November 24, 2007, 02:22 PM   #14
Harry Bonar

conversion

Rush 2112:
I'm sure you can do this. And welcome to the Forum - home of all gun-nuts!
As you start just get on the forum and I'm sure some of the Mauser smiths will guide you through the process!

As a starter you'll need an action wrench: find a 3 foot 1" square bar and grind a groove that the recoil sholder of the action will fit into to get the bar in the center of the reciever ring and drill for a 3/8" U-bolt that just fits the reciever ring. Do not clamp overly tight but tight enough. If you don't want the old bbl. use a pipe wrench on the floor and with bolt inserted in action break loose the old bbl. It will come!

I think a "short chambered" bbl. will be best, but I really think I'd send your action to Douglas in Charleston W.Va, for the wildcat chamber work - I believe they chamber for your round (I'd say 25-06 instead of the improved) - they will check your action and do a wonderful job of fitting - you'll have enough to do after that!!
Harry B.
Old November 24, 2007, 09:39 PM   #15
srtrax

Harry: I had the same problem, lord its been over 10 yrs or better and at the moment dont recall what it was i asked them, something to do with a type of finish on a blueing job. O.K. the customer wanted a diamond in a goats ass finish and wanted some of there ultra fine polish to buff it out. I was to do the job, so called to ask a tech about getting that type of finish, he told me to leave that for the jewelery people and lets not put stuff like that on a gun. Told him it was a customers request, and that i was going to make a pretty penny for doing it, but got the same come back as before... so i hand polished to a goats finish using sandpaper and collected my money. I was happy and my customer was happy, but as far as techs go , that day i said fck them! I still buy also, but dont ask any questions for they are far smarter then I . 11 1/2 thd HeHEHEHE
Old November 24, 2007, 09:49 PM   #16
srtrax

Rush 2112: i've got to say doing a barrel job is much more involved then a trigger and stock job. But then i dont know you personaly and maybe you can do it. Read all you can find on barrel instalation and then youll know better yourself if you can do it or not. I learned in gunsmithing school so it was easy for me from the very first, well untill i got all my own machinery anyway! Good Luck.
Old November 26, 2007, 09:57 AM   #17
Harry Bonar

srtrax

srtrax:
Sir: when I started I had only a 9" Craftsman lathe. I used a steady rest and took measurements and used a 3 square file to adjust headspace on Mausers!
My first muzzle-loaders - I'd sometimes have to make three breech-plugs before I got one right. It was a nightmare. But, as they say, "poor folk has poor ways."
I now have a 12X36 Grizzly lathe and a large Grizzly mill - the three jaw runs out .0015 and the workpiece! the mill - .000 on collet and spindle. Good stuf!
Have a good day srtrax.
Harry B.
Old November 26, 2007, 08:48 PM   #18
Clemson

You do know that the M48 Mauser has a safety breech, right? Although some folks may rebarrel using standard Mauser prethreaded barrels, I prefer to cut that safety breech and extractor slot just as the originals were done. This involves setting the shoulder forward on a prethreaded barrel and cutting a boss about 0.045 inches deep on the breech end of the barrel. You can follow the essentials here:

http://mausercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18807
http://mausercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18808
http://mausercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18809
http://mausercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18810

Good luck and let us know if we can help.

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old November 26, 2007, 09:43 PM   #19
rush-2112

WOW Thanks for the info Clemson! That looked fantastic! I really can not wait to try this!

Ted
(")_(") (")_(")
Old November 27, 2007, 09:42 AM   #20
srtrax

Nice post Clemson, I was going to suggest the book- The Mauser M91 Through M98 Bolt Actions A Shop Manual...by Jerry Kuhnhausen because once you get that bug started you'll want to do more to the action, and this book cover it all! Ted, let us know how it turns out and enjoy!!!
Old November 27, 2007, 09:55 AM   #21
Clemson

srtrax, I totally agree. Kuhnhausen's book is a must-have for someone working on Mausers. It is probably my most-read gunsmithing book, and I have a bunch of them. Unfortunately, he does not show the procedure for safety breeching.

Ted, there is no known cure for the disease once you get it.

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old November 27, 2007, 10:33 AM   #22
rush-2112

A cure?? Why in GODS' name would I want a cure? I also have in my greedy lil paws 2 yes count them, 2 fn belgian 7.62 barreled recievers. the barrels are trash:barf:, but the actions seem to be in good codition, a little bit of pitting below the wood line but otherwise they look good. Sooo maybe I will leave my 8mm m48 alone and do something to those rifles? Not to sure, I do now that they are going to need work so who knows what kind of intresting things I may turn those into? A SBR pistol in .221 fireball? And the other, maybe the.257ackley? Never know what I may come up with.
(")_(") (")_(")
Old November 27, 2007, 11:41 AM   #23
Harry Bonar

breeching

Clemson:
That is a fantastic post - I'll try that from now on - great fine work!
Harry B.
Old November 27, 2007, 05:48 PM   #24
srtrax

Dem dare Belgains aint worth $h1t- tell ya what i'll do... take em off your hands for $20.00 and if i have to , i'd pay shipping!
Old November 27, 2007, 06:11 PM   #25
Harry Bonar

bbl. fitting

Sir: ( Clemson)
I have a M48 stamped preduzece44. I understand your concept and it makes sense.

I have a question though, - on my bolt face, on the left side it has the normal projection of the bolt face - opposite the extractor. I was wondering, do you mill or grind that off to get your .050 breeching or did your bolt not have this projection on it?

Your bolt face may not have it on it. If you would tell me how you deal with that projection. It comes out about as far as the extractor.
Harry B.
Maybe I'm not understanding something, or maybe my M48 is different?

Last edited by Harry Bonar; November 27, 2007 at 06:13 PM. Reason: spelling