The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 18, 2000, 10:46 PM   #1
gunmart

WHERE CAN I GET A BOOK ON ACKLEY IMPROVED CART.I AM GETTING A .250 ACK IMP IN A FEW DAYS AND NEED LOADING DATA ON IT.DID HE HAVE A .25,06 IMPROVED?WHAT IS THE BEST BOOK ON ACKLEY CART.?
Old April 18, 2000, 11:58 PM   #2
Magnum Man

Gunmart,
Try www.gunbooksales.com. They have a book in stock titled 'P.O. Ackley Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders'. Hope this helps. Good luck with the new gun.

Magnum Man
Old April 19, 2000, 05:27 PM   #3
Bud Helms

Gunmart,

Every one should have a copy of that. It's a two volume set. You won't be sorry.
Old April 19, 2000, 07:22 PM   #4
HankL

I'll really get rained on here. "myself" Ackley Improved is going to give you a smidgen more case capacity for powder. In other words, if you have worked up a good load in Cal xxx and the case is full to the top and you are showing no problems the the xxx Ackley would be a place to go. A bit more work is involved as you know but, WTH.
Old April 20, 2000, 03:33 PM   #5
swifter...

P.O. Ackley's "Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders" is the classic reference, but much of the loading data is very dated.
Start with a good load from a loading manual for the parent round, and increase in 1/2 grain increments, being very careful about pressure. AI's typically do not give the usual pressure signs, but will suddenly have a scary sign show up... Use your chronograph, and stop when the velocity goes strange, like an increase in powder gives a decrease in velocity, or it only increases by 10-25 fps. Back off the latest increase by 1/2 gr., and play it safe.
"A Varmint Hunter's Oddessey" by Steve Hansen, addresses the AI quirks nicely.

------------------
The Bill of Rights, and the Golden Rule are enough for civilized behavior. The rest is window dressing. Shoot carefully, swifter...

Old April 20, 2000, 03:55 PM   #6
Magnum Man

There is a more recent book available through Cabelas shooting catalog. It is a two volume set titled 'Wildcat Cartridges,Combo Edition'
Old April 21, 2000, 07:51 PM   #7
gunmart

so what would be a good starting load.?i want to use 100 gr pills.either ballistic tips or partitions
Old April 21, 2000, 09:32 PM   #8
Bud Helms

Yes, There is a .25-'06 Ack Imp.

When you say a .250, you're talking about the .250/3000 Savage cartridge, right? That is considered, by Ackley, in his Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders, as one of his most successful "improved" cartridges and says that velocities "...in the Model 99, more than equals the .257 (Roberts)." It is something I have wanted to do. A friend has a .25 Super (.25-'08) and it is pretty neat, but the .250 Savage AI would be better!

P.O. Ackley was a freak about "efficiency" and talked a lot about "bore ratio" or "bore capacity". After you read Ackley, you may discover that most modern cartridges are way, WAY, over bore. It was his opinion ... I agree.

When you get your Ackley books, look on page 141 (if you get the soft back version) of Vol II and see the .22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer. It's not an Ackley design. It's the quintessential over bore cartridge. A joke really, and maybe intentionally so. The irrefutable advantage of an AI cartridge is case life extension. The performance increase for some lower bore capacity cartridges is also dramatic.

Gunmart, email coming.

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited April 22, 2000).]
Old April 23, 2000, 02:40 AM   #9
gunmart

thanks for all the replys.would i get any better balistics by reaming to the 25-06 impoved?i intend to go antelope hunting and want a very flat trajectory.its a long action sako so it should not make any differance there.
Old April 23, 2000, 11:59 PM   #10
Bud Helms

I think the .25-'06 is plenty capable the way it is.

You never did say which AI chambering you were getting except "... A .250 ACK IMP ...". I assumed it was the .250/3000 AI.

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited April 24, 2000).]
Old October 25, 2000, 06:12 PM   #11
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Sensop,

You remember the "perfect" cartrige I rambled on about, ad nauseam?

It appears to be the .250 Savage (also sometimes known as .250/3000), Ackley Improved. I think I'm gonna get George to build a Mauser .250 AI for me. Now all I have to do, is figure a good way to mount a quick-detach "Leopard light" (not that I intend to hunt Leopard, but varmints or emergencies)...

[This message has been edited by Spectre (edited October 25, 2000).]