The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 11, 2014, 08:11 PM   #1
leadcounsel

Springfield 1903 identification help requested

I've picked up a Springfield 1903 today.

The good. It was only $200. Serial number is in the 900,000 range, which indicates safe to shoot (above 800,000 where they had metallurgy problems), and a 1918 manufacture date. Light surface rust, which should come off easily with some CLP and scrubbing. No cracks in stock. No obvious mechanical or structural issues. Smooth action and trigger.

The bad. Sadly, it's been sporterized. But it appears that the job was done with quality in mind.

The stock has a nice comb in it, and is like a hunting rifle in shape/design. The sights appear to be expensive target sites, with peephole and quality adjustments both front and rear. The trigger is wide, grooved, appears quality aftermarket target style, and breaks crisp at a guess-timate 2-3 pounds. Very crisp, like a quality 1911 feel to it.

The receiver and barrel have been drilled and tapped for a scope/rings.

The barrel is in great condition, with excellent barreling. It's a heavy barrel, with the markings "F.E. Hoffman .30-06".

Looking for expertise on the type/quality of this barrel, trigger, and sites.

This is my 3rd 1903, and I feel that for $200 I really couldn't go wrong as long as this was in the range that is safe to shoot. And while the historical value is all but ruined due to the sporterizing of this gem, the upgrades in barrel, sites, trigger, etc. probably make this a fabulous $200 shooter, perhaps on par with any modern $500, $800, or even $1000 .3006.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030259.JPG (36.3 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg P1030258.JPG (41.0 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg P1030248.JPG (37.5 KB, 145 views)

Last edited by leadcounsel; March 11, 2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old March 11, 2014, 08:25 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Obviously set up as a prone target rifle of the period between the World Wars.
Hoffman Arms was a major name in custom rifles of those years, although not as long lived as G&H or Neidner.

The barrel is no doubt of top quality for the day and not far behind modern manufacture. The big improvement over time has been in bullets, not barrels.

Sights are Lyman 48 rear and 77 front, maybe not the very best, but the best known of the period. Scope bases are for a long outside adjustment Unertl, Fecker, or Lyman.

The trigger looks like a regular Springfield trigger, honed to a light pull and fitted with a trigger shoe.

Hardly a disappointment or with historical value ruined, it is a good catch of a specialized rifle from a bygone day. $200? You stole it.
Old March 11, 2014, 08:30 PM   #3
sgms

I agree with Mr. Watson on his ID of your rifle, and you really did get an outstanding deal with that rifle. I would have snapped it up if I had seen it, good find.
Old March 12, 2014, 06:42 PM   #4
Chris_B

My Pop has a Lyman 48 on the back of his 1943 Smith-Corona 03A3. I like that sight.
Old March 12, 2014, 11:08 PM   #5
leadcounsel

Great information. Thank you. I keep records on my guns, and this information helps. Also helps for insurance purposes.

I have no intention of selling this wonderful rifle. But for my insurance value, what type of value would this gun have, given the aftermarket heavy barrel, target sights, etc.?

I see the Smith Corona all the time for about $1000...

Would this be in the $500, $800, or more range?
Old March 13, 2014, 07:21 AM   #6
Slamfire

The rear sight is worth the price of the rifle.

I would like to see better pictures as that is a neat rifle.

Full military rifles sell well and there is a very active market for these collectables. Extreme high grade target single shot rifles have a collector market, see them on the back of magazines all the time, they are works of art. Your rifle was built as a competitive long range target rifle, can’t see the figuring of the wood or level of bluing left. A quick look shows that dealers are asking obscene amounts for Hoffman Arms rifles. http://www.hoffmanarms.com/HoffmanHistory.html

As an active competitive shooter, it is rare to see anyone shooting the 30-06. If anyone is shooting 30 cal, it will be a 308 F class shooter. Your rifle might be of interest to someone with the older Unertl, Lyman, Redfield scopes as the scope blocks on your rifle were set for a long scope. However, for someone to fit a modern Leupold, Nightforce, they would have to find a base system to accommodate. Don’t know if anyone is making 03 mounts to fit the big objective lense scopes that are widely used in competition.

I would try to find one of those older, long scopes, take the thing out and shoot it. I would not modify it at all, and I would enjoy the rifle as an example of a historical target rifle.
Old March 13, 2014, 07:47 AM   #7
kraigwy

I'm a purist when it comes to surplus military rifles.

Having said that, I know that thousands of Springfield's were converted to target rifles throughout the life of the M1903.

Not just by garage gunsmiths but by the Army/Marines themselves as well as the Springfield armory.

LTC William S. Brophy (The Springfield 1903 Rifles) and CPT Edward Crossman (The Book of the Springfield) are full of information about these Target (I like that term as opposed to modified) M1903s.

These rifled dominated Target Shooting during the period between wars.

The Springfield is considered (with reason) the most accurate bolt action rifle ever made.

The M1903 actions are some of the most accurate actions in existence, and I include all the modern actions you find to day.

It was chose by the Army to be used on Mann Devices. A machine used to test military ammo. There are reports of the Springfield Mann's in '06, 308/762, 30 cal. Carbine, 22 Hornet and 45 ACPs.

This action was chosen for a reason. The are good solid ACCURATE actions.

Many Springfield's have been converted to sporting rifles, and now, with the popularity of the CMP Vintage Rifle games many are being converted back to (CMP Legal) "as-issued" rifles to be used in the CMP games.

Now as I said, I'm a purest when it comes to military surplus rifles. I hate to see them converted, and I do like to see them restored.

BUT: Being a purest I hate to see one of the "between wars" restored. They were converted during the days of the riflemen. They are in fact part of history just as the un-modified Springfield's are part of history.

$200???? Based on the description, and pictures, you stole that rifle.

I'm of the opinion, the rifle should stay "as is". Use it in competition, F-Class, High Power, Creedmor matches, for display.

If you want to put together a "as issued" M1903, shop around, there are tons of modified sporter Springfield's out there that can be had fairly reasonable.

Based on what you posted, and the pictures, after being able to examine the rifle and it turns out the way I think it will, I'd have probably paid 5 X what you paid.

That rifle would make an excellent addition to a '03 collection.

See if you can find the books I mentioned above and read about the Target Springfield's before you do anything to the rifle. I'm betting its worth a lot more then some on this topic have eluded to.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 13, 2014, 07:58 AM   #8
kraigwy

This got me curious and I dug out my copy of Brophy's book (mentioned in my other post.

Starting on page 86, Huffman is listed with the top Springfield Target Rifle builders with, Wundhammer, Sukalle, Owen, Niedner,Pope, Sedley and Griffin & Howe, Master Builders of 03 Target rifles.

It appears the OP has won the lottery in this rifle. I would love to get a closer look at this rifle.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 13, 2014, 05:05 PM   #9
Chris_B

Quote:
I see the Smith Corona all the time for about $1000...
but with which barrel? 2, 4, or 6 groove?
Old March 13, 2014, 08:08 PM   #10
leadcounsel

I would love to show more detailed pictures, but cracking that nut seems quite cumbersome... 15 steps to add a picture is too much work.

Thank you for all of the information. I do feel like I scored and awesome rifle for $200. I suspected it when I negotiated the seller down from $250! And I only knew it was a sporter, sight unseen. I had no idea that it was a heavy barrel with target sites. So yes, jackpot. When I handled it I was quite happy to hand over the $200.

As I mentioned, it has some light specs of rust on it, but I will rub it with CLP which tends to fix these light rust flecks.
Old March 14, 2014, 10:18 AM   #11
PetahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel

I would love to show more detailed pictures, but cracking that nut seems quite cumbersome... 15 steps to add a picture is too much work.

15 ? ? ? ?

Try it in three (3) steps:

1) Upload your pic(s) to a (free) pic-hosting website (Like www.postimage.org or www.imageshack.com ), being sure to set the host's sizing format to a size appropriate to a message board before uploading any pics (select from a drop-down box offering on the host site's uploader).

2) "Copy" the direct url of each pic you want to post here (or elsewhere) with your mouse, via following the host site's indicators.

3) "Paste" the same direct url in you thread with your mouse, being sure to enclose the front of each pasted url with "[img]"; and with "[/img]" at the rear of each pasted url.
(leave no spaces between each url and the bracketed "img" and/or "/img" )

The pic will propagate ASAP the thread is posted/finished.

Old March 16, 2014, 03:33 PM   #12
RC20

Nice pick up. congratulations .

Keep it and don't sell it as you stated.

I think the value on these will go up.

My guess is you have an $800 rifle maybe minimum to the right hands.

While I don't encourage it at all, pure money wise if you look at the parts vs what you paid for it you are way ahead.

Sweet pickup, I would simply oil and use a cloth to polish the gun and work the rust out.
Old March 31, 2014, 06:43 AM   #13
Ibmikey

Chris B, If I remember correctly Smith Corona barrels were all four groove.
Old March 31, 2014, 11:05 AM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

The last Hoffman rifle I saw sold brought close to $2,000, and that was several years ago.

Judging by this listing, prices for Hoffman's work are still holding up nicely:

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Hof...cfm?cat_id=418

You got an INCREDIBLE deal on that rifle. The seller obvious did absolutely no homework.

If you insure your rifles, you'll probably want to add that one to the list at between $2,500 and $3,000.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Last edited by Mike Irwin; March 31, 2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old March 31, 2014, 11:11 AM   #15
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Chris B, If I remember correctly Smith Corona barrels were all four groove."

A few supposedly were 6 groove barrels manufactured under sub contract by High Standard.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 31, 2014, 04:47 PM   #16
Chris_B

Savage barrels too. my Pop has one