The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 29, 2012, 07:18 PM   #1
old fart

B.C. super black on regular steel?

i just reblued an old revolver and have been trying to figure out a finish that would hold up at least fairly well. everyone i spoke to has told me the bluing will be gone in a short time. a friend of mine just used some of the birchwood casey super black pen to do his pistol. i beleive this is for alloy but he used it on steel, it has held up good. i thought someone here would know for sure, will this work on regular steel? he said just a thin coat and give it a day to dry, i am woried that rust might get started under the coating. thanks for any help.
Old November 29, 2012, 09:37 PM   #2
Scorch

Cold blue, super black, aluminum black, black sharpie, all are surface applied coatings. None will last as long as hot tank bluing. If you want a quick and easy home treatment that will last, use Brownells' baking lacquer. It is relatively easy to apply, and tough as nails. It comes in about a dozen colors, including gloss black and matte black which look kind of like bluing.