The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 24, 2002, 12:54 PM   #1
Zigokubasi

Mag 7M1

To resurrect an old thread, the Mag 7M1 seems to be available from SOG, but with a 20" barrel. It mentions that it fires 12ga. minishells, but does anyone know if they're different from the Aguila 12ga. minishells? There was talk of ammo being scarce for these, and being South African I doubt that they were *intended* for the mexican minishells, but if they're more or less the same, then ammo isn't going to be a problem. At $350 they're kinda pricey for a shotgun of questionable quality, but I'm still pretty tempted. Anyone have experience with these?

Ziggy

--< Hannibal ad portas >--
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mag-7m1.jpg (15.0 KB, 77 views)
Old September 24, 2002, 04:50 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

It may be a decent piece, but I'm leary of anything using non standard ammo.

One of the big advantages of using a standard pump gun is that it will function with a very wide variety of loads, and those loads can be selected for the mission from a HUGE assortment. Count the kinds of buckshot in a catalog, for instance.

Autos are more ammo sensitive, and one firing very specialized ammo is a logistic nightmare waiting to happen, IMO.
Old September 24, 2002, 11:42 PM   #3
Zigokubasi

Actually, the Mag 7 is a pump shotgun. I think the black forearm piece is either pushed up or forward. But I have the same concerns as you, which is why I'm wondering if those Aguila minishells would work in it. That would open up a few possibilities (aguila offers slugs as well as shot loads for their minishells), and assure a supply of ammunition.

I think if they don't work in it, it's next to worthless.

Ziggy

--< Hannibal ad portas >--
Old September 25, 2002, 05:04 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A pump? A new thing every day...

I wonder why they didn't set it up for standard ammo.

The Brits were kinda cautious about letting the natives of the various countries they ruled as colonies have good guns. In India, they issued Greener 14 gauge shotguns that took a non standard shell, to reduce the chance of these being seized by rebels and sued against the Brits. Logistics were a real mess.