The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 22, 2012, 07:33 PM   #1
bspillman

If you could only have one of these two which one.

Ok i have been looking at getting either the bersa thunder 380cc or a pf9 9mm. I like the 9mm for stopping power and cost of ammo, but i also like that my wife could use the 380. both guns feel good in my hand and both seem to get good reviews. I would like it to also be a range fun gun. Help me decide. Ok let me add that sadly my wife will only use this if someone was breaking into the house (I have begged and pleaded with no avail) she will not even practice with it. but it will be here with one in the chamber if she needs it,

Last edited by bspillman; November 22, 2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old November 22, 2012, 07:43 PM   #2
erob3

You are right on track for wanting a 9mm, it offers the best of all worlds; cheaper to shoot than any major caliber ammo, good self defense ammo, good range gun. One thing to keep in mind for your mentioned choices, the PF9 is a DA only pistol and the pull is heavy and long....every shot. I'm not sure how your wife will handle that, mine didn't like it at all. As the Bersa I would get that one in a 9mm if for no other reason than it's a DA/SA. Hope that helps. Good Luck.
Old November 22, 2012, 07:53 PM   #3
JimPage

I would get the one the wife wants if you can only afford one. Later on your finances may allow you to get the 9mm too. I have to admit that I prefer the .45acp if I am in a fight. But it pulls my pants down and causes embarrassment at social events, so I carry the .380 Bersa more than the .45.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old November 22, 2012, 08:08 PM   #4
GrailKnight

I would let the wife choose which firearm she can operate easily, control when firing it, and is comfortable with.
Old November 22, 2012, 09:12 PM   #5
Hook686

If the wife likes it, I think you have a better chance of getting her to the range to practice.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old November 22, 2012, 11:00 PM   #6
bitttorrrent

sounds like my wife. although she does go on occasion there is no interest.
just get what you would think she would want since she wont ptactice with it.
Old November 22, 2012, 11:45 PM   #7
jimbob86

If all ther was was a .454 Casull available, and someone was breaking into the house, I doubt your wife would give up: she'd use what she had.

Get the 9, and make sure she knows how to operate it.
Old November 23, 2012, 12:27 AM   #8
Deja vu

Let her pick. She will practice more if she likes it.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old November 23, 2012, 01:55 AM   #9
srfisher3

I like the 9mm better for home defense purposes especially considering it will be used by someone who will not practice with it. I have found that while 80's are generally smaller and "feel" easier to handle, their lightweight makes for a snappy and uncomfortable recoil. Most importantly is the fact that your wife must learn to shoot the gun and operate it well. When introduced to a high stress situation she will fall back to her training. If no training has been given...a 9mm or .380 won't matter.