The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 3, 2009, 10:50 AM   #1
tacdriver22mk2

places for hunt in florada

hey does anyone know any place my son can go and hunt he is yonger than 15 but older than 11 i dont want to post his age maybe a youth hunt sommewhere thanks he will shoot anything i let him (unless he knows its illegal)
Old July 3, 2009, 11:13 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

From your area, Big Cypress may be a place to check into... Got to your tag office and ask about the free WMA pamphlets. Or go online to myfwc.com and research the WMA section listing all of them by region...
Brent
Old July 3, 2009, 11:22 AM   #3
hardluk1

Don't know if your look'n at free or pay hunts? SYC special youth challenge through Okeechobee outfiters or babcock ranch, billie swamp safari hunting adventures has hunts that work or big cypress hunting adventures ,they do most of there hunts on indian lands. Also talk to your area fish and game officers about problem areas for hogs or owners that maybe you could get a young hunter in on. F F&G officers or maybe there bioigist have always been helpfull when i still lived down there.
Old July 3, 2009, 12:27 PM   #4
tacdriver22mk2

thanks guys appriciate it
Old July 5, 2009, 11:37 AM   #5
globemaster3

Oh yes, caught many a snook in my youth at the Lake Worth Spillway. Big shad freelined when the gates were open was always a recipie for success!

The problem with most WMAs in the S Florida region is overpressure. With today's tools such as Google Earth and some of the mapping programs, you can zero in on likely areas to look before ever setting foot into the woods. I'd highly recommend that.

I hunted WMAs in the Central FL region and a little tip I learned: either plan to walk further and through worse stuff than anyone else to get to good areas, or plan to hunt close to the truck. My experience was most hunters knew they didn't want to hunt close to the truck and made a little effort to get further into the woods. Conversely, most were not willing to go too terribly far through bad stuff to hunt.

I had to laugh several times after hiking 45 mins to my stand only to return for lunch and find the ground around my truck rooted up by hogs or deer tracks in my tire tracks on the path coming into the parking area! There were a couple times on the drive out I saw deer only 100-200 yards from the truck.

Another name that has been on TV a couple times is Osceola Outfitters. They are in Central FL near River Ranch and back up against the Bull Creek WMA. Don't know them personally, nor have ever used them, but I've seen 3 shows on TV with them guiding kids on hog hunts and IIRC from looking at their prices, they weren't too bad.

Good luck!
Old July 5, 2009, 12:37 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If you want your son to "man up" a bit, you are welcome to come up this way when weather cools a bit and try a no guns, hog hunt with the dogs... Nuttin' like it to teach the kids a bit about mother nature. And also being involved in the close up contact with the dogs and hog is an adrenaline rush hadly ever surpassed.
Brent

Tags
florida , handgun , hunt , rifle , youth